The Open

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:39 pm

Looks like the guinness will be flowing freely tonight, I fancy.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 22, 2007 7:53 pm

What a truly, utterly, fecking magnificent sporting contest this year's Open has been. Not a single one of us were mentioning the likes of Harrington or Andreas only 24 hours ago. I'd have to say that this years Open has been without doubt one of the finest sporting competitions that I've ever seen. From a Ryder Cup point of view it is of course magnificent to see two Europeans battling it out for the championship. Furthermore, well done the boy from Belfast for winning the Silver Medal. Bravo.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:13 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:What a truly, utterly, fecking magnificent sporting contest this year's Open has been. Not a single one of us were mentioning the likes of Harrington or Andreas only 24 hours ago. I'd have to say that this years Open has been without doubt one of the finest sporting competitions that I've ever seen. From a Ryder Cup point of view it is of course magnificent to see two Europeans battling it out for the championship. Furthermore, well done the boy from Belfast for winning the Silver Medal. Bravo.
Aye, it wasn't that bad.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:21 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:What a truly, utterly, fecking magnificent sporting contest this year's Open has been. Not a single one of us were mentioning the likes of Harrington or Andreas only 24 hours ago. I'd have to say that this years Open has been without doubt one of the finest sporting competitions that I've ever seen. From a Ryder Cup point of view it is of course magnificent to see two Europeans battling it out for the championship. Furthermore, well done the boy from Belfast for winning the Silver Medal. Bravo.
what the wine-named man said
James B wrote:looks like we may have a new first-time major winner this time tommorow
and i was right! :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:28 pm

James B wrote:
what the wine-named man said
James B wrote:looks like we may have a new first-time major winner this time tommorow
and i was right! :)
Yiss, but you still owe me 50p! Actually, I suppose you don't in that you never actually took me up on the bet. As such, we must owe each other 25p. :?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:30 pm

Twas indeed four days of magical entertainment Bruce. I had Garcia to win and the putt that rimmed the hole and stayed out to do it must have gutted him. I think even Harrington had almost conceeded at that point. Unfortunately, it won't be a European or even a British victory to the Irish; just an Irish one. They're a little parochial about these sort of things. :P But well done Padraig, a great show and great sports TV. The phrase: "Many a slip twixt cup and lip" must have been coined for golf and now the show's finally over, there'll be a few fat Irish ladies singing tonight. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:56 pm

Yes, it was good. But although both chaps played well over the four days, you could say they both demonstrated their 'bottling it' pedigree in different ways, and exactly why they hadn't done it in the past.

Well done to Harrington for getting it together in the playoff though; he played some magnificent stuff and did exactly the right thing down the last.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:09 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: Yes, it was good. But although both chaps played well over the four days, you could say they both demonstrated their 'bottling it' pedigree in different ways, and exactly why they hadn't done it in the past.

Well done to Harrington for getting it together in the playoff though; he played some magnificent stuff and did exactly the right thing down the last.
Hit it down the 17th?
Oh, absolutely. However, if you looked at the eyes of both players, then there was only ever going to be one winner, even when Garcia was two strokes ahead, pre play-off! Harrington had this incredible steely glare about him whereas Garcia's look just oozed resignation.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: Yes, it was good. But although both chaps played well over the four days, you could say they both demonstrated their 'bottling it' pedigree in different ways, and exactly why they hadn't done it in the past.

Hit it down the 17th?
Oh, absolutely. However, if you looked at the eyes of both players, then there was only ever going to be one winner, even when Garcia was two strokes ahead, pre play-off! Harrington had this incredible steely glare about him whereas Garcia's look just oozed resignation.
Yes. With the two-shot lead he had, deliberately playing for the lay-up via the 17th for the safe bogey was exactly the right play (not least because of the way he had fecked up the 18th in normal time). Apart from anything else, Garcia could very easily have fecked up going for the big one, and actually wasn't that far away from the burn on the left.

Little things Harrington said suggested he'd been doing a lot of work with a sports psychologist, and I agree that it served him well in the playoff and he looked switched on.

To be fair to Garcia, it's a very draining thing to lead from the start and have it slip away at the end. Harrington was riding the crest of a wave after the thrill of the chase - Garcia was mentally kicking himself for not being able to shoot level par when it counted.

Anyway, after putting two out of bounds on the 8th at Regent's Park when I was one under, perhaps I'm not one to talk.....
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:55 pm

Not a massive golf fan, don't mind it but don't usually find myself compelled to watch, but today, jesus that was good. Had me properly on the edge of my seat!
Professionalism, the last refuge of the talentless

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jul 22, 2007 11:01 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote: [

To be fair to Garcia, it's a very draining thing to lead from the start and have it slip away at the end. Harrington was riding the crest of a wave after the thrill of the chase - Garcia was mentally kicking himself for not being able to shoot level par when it counted.
Garcia made the mistake of defending a lead instead of playing attacking golf as he'd done for three rounds. Easy to talk I know and my best golf days are well behind me, but you never forget the golden rule in golf: Play the course, not the man. Garcia used irons from the tee, but that's because he's a magnificent iron player. He had a little bad luck towards the end and let it slip. He's young and he'll be back. Harrington got a second chance and capitalised on it. Nobody lost as it was one of the best Opens I've seen.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:50 am

i can't believe that i was glued to the tv from 3 o'clock til gone 7. that was an amazing last day

feel sorry for garcia. i've always liked sergio from the moment he skipped down the fairway in the (was it) USPGA when he chased Tiger and THAT shot against the tree with his eyes shut.

bit like tango said his game isn't conservative. i don't think you can hit 3 irons into those greens all day and expect to hit every green. it did pay for him in the end. i am glad that he lost to someone like nice guy padraig than some yank fecker complaining about the rough length

a word on tiger - how tedious is he to watch when things aren't going his way. his petulent "damnit"'s when he fails to hole 20 feet putts and steve williams snapping at the crowd to keep still

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:09 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:i can't believe that i was glued to the tv from 3 o'clock til gone 7. that was an amazing last day

feel sorry for garcia. i've always liked sergio from the moment he skipped down the fairway in the (was it) USPGA when he chased Tiger and THAT shot against the tree with his eyes shut.

bit like tango said his game isn't conservative. i don't think you can hit 3 irons into those greens all day and expect to hit every green. it did pay for him in the end. i am glad that he lost to someone like nice guy padraig than some yank fecker complaining about the rough length

a word on tiger - how tedious is he to watch when things aren't going his way. his petulent "damnit"'s when he fails to hole 20 feet putts and steve williams snapping at the crowd to keep still
Yeah, that was the PGA at Medinah in 1999.

I'm sorry, but your 'word' on Tiger is absolute balls.

I think he's an inspiration to watch when things aren't going his way, because there is nobody else in the world who grinds it out as hard as he does even when it's not going well. A lot of players, when they go a few over, just give in and accept that it's a bad day - but Woods would genuinely prefer to shoot 81 than 82, and he will do everything he can to make it happen. Yesterday on the 18th green was a good example - he knew he was out of the tournament but he still gave that birdie putt 100%.

Yes, he will say 'dammit' from time to time, and he does show signs of his frustration, but that's called intensity, not petulence. When he leaves the scene of a shot, as far as he's concerned, that's it - he doesn't stomp petulently round the course, he's completely focused on the next shot.

And Steve Williams is only doing his job. I didn't make it up to Carnoustie in the end this time, but I've followed Woods a lot in the opens of the last few years, and the number of people following him, even the 60-odd inside the ropes, is amazing. Steve Williams only snapped when people were taking photos on his backswing, which is something that shouldn't happen. The only bad shot I saw him hit on the Sunday at Hoylake last year was when some prat standing only a few feet in front of me took a picture on his camera phone as Woods was hitting his second on the 14th. Even I was tempted to grab his phone and shove it down his throat, so I think Steve Williams shows remarkable restraint given what he has to put up with.

Have to say I'm surprised Ginge - this is the sort of nonsense I'm used to hearing the clueless come out with.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:59 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Got to agree HRG. The media would be all over Monty for acting the same, but a grumpy Tiger is just disappointed not to be at the sharp end. Nonsense.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:02 pm

It was indeed an absolute belter, and amazing that Carnoustie's next OPen has not yet been confirmed. We've had two modern OPens there, and they've boith been superb. Whereas Hoylake can only be described as a short, dull course, and yet it's already been confirmed that it will get another Open.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:30 pm

I make no apology. Woods is a joy to watch when in form. I think he's a gentleman off the course and always offers honest appraisals of his round. I just feel there's an edge to him when things aren't going well and is quick to start snarling... at the crowd, at photographers - even his caddy wasn't spared at Augusta when it started to slip away. I can totally understand his frustration at letting his grip on the claret jug slip - but the circumstances were completely down to him. he's had his child born and understandably has spent time with it. his golf has suffered and you can't go into a major not running at full pelt and expect to do well.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:56 pm

fatshaft wrote:It was indeed an absolute belter, and amazing that Carnoustie's next OPen has not yet been confirmed. We've had two modern OPens there, and they've boith been superb. Whereas Hoylake can only be described as a short, dull course, and yet it's already been confirmed that it will get another Open.
I was hearing this morning that Portrush is now trying to get it's nose in the trough, too.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:01 pm

My take on Tiger Woods:

Yes, I've complained in the past that he should smile a bit more, but I think all his frustrations are with himself, not others. In his interviews he comes across as an intelligent, decent young man who appreciates the life and career he has, knows full well that a lot of it is down to his father's guidance and prompting and feels he lets everyone and himself down when he doesn't play his best. His short game is a joy to watch, he attacks everything and he never stops fighting (as Mummy said).

He is the proven world's best golfer of his era, in the mode of legends like Player, Palmer and Nicklaus and that takes a lot of living up to. With his wealth and fame he could afford to just sit back and live on his reputation, he doesn't do that. He keeps himself in absolute tip-top shape, enters all the major events and is a total role-model for young golfers everywhere.

Just my view.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:07 pm

Always thought Royal Birkdale's combination of links/country elements a brilliant venue for major events. I watched the Ryder Cup there years ago when Alliss beat Palmer in the singles and the great Tony Lima played for the Yanks. We lost but it was great entertainment. I'll never forget Christy O'Connor senior walking onto the tee, flipping a ball onto the deck from his pocket and belting it down the fairway with a three-wood from where it landed without bothering with a tee peg. He also did this with a cigarette in his mouth. One of the most laid-back golfers I ever saw.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
fatshaft wrote:It was indeed an absolute belter, and amazing that Carnoustie's next OPen has not yet been confirmed. We've had two modern OPens there, and they've boith been superb. Whereas Hoylake can only be described as a short, dull course, and yet it's already been confirmed that it will get another Open.
I was hearing this morning that Portrush is now trying to get it's nose in the trough, too.
well The NI tourist board wants an open in the province. There's portrush and county down (IIRC) that are being touted as venues. All on teh back of the Ryder Cup last year.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house