Olympics 2008

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:42 pm

Baseball is being cut for 2012

Check out the Americans putting themselves top by going for total medals rather than golds first.

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer08/medals
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:02 pm

warthog wrote:Bolt was awesome (and for once that word's appropriate). I saw him in the semis and he jogged the last thirty yards and still clocked 9.85. I don't fancy him to break Michael Johnson's world record in the 20l0m though.
Yes, I have to say that watching them qualify today for the 200m semi-final well over 20secs (inc. Bolt) reminds one of just how good that 19.32 time was from Johnson.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Athers wrote:Baseball is being cut for 2012

Check out the Americans putting themselves top by going for total medals rather than golds first.

or team GB gaining extra places by ranking by golds!

Football league tables don't get ranked by number of wins, or goal difference. It's points that make prizes!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:53 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
warthog wrote:Bolt was awesome (and for once that word's appropriate). I saw him in the semis and he jogged the last thirty yards and still clocked 9.85. I don't fancy him to break Michael Johnson's world record in the 20l0m though.
Yes, I have to say that watching them qualify today for the 200m semi-final well over 20secs (inc. Bolt) reminds one of just how good that 19.32 time was from Johnson.
cos they're all going flat out in the semis
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:03 am

communistworkethic wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
cos they're all going flat out in the semis
Well cheers for pointing that one out. :roll:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:00 am

Another reason for doubting that Bolt will even go under 19.5, when you think about it, is that once he's got it sewn-up he'll start waving his arms about etc again.

Well worth watching MJ in '96 to remind yourself of just how awesome that run was:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6SsX61i ... re=related

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:08 am

Just watching the men's triathlon go off.

Respect to these guys - a real ironman event.

I did the three components at half distance (750m swim, 20km bike, 5km run) with a mate in the gym on Saturday morning before travelling up for the match.... absolute murder, and I don't think we were too far inside the 2hrs the top boys will be looking to do the 1500m swim, 40km bike and 10km run in...

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:16 am

Really should be asleep, but this triathlon is interesting stuff.

I can't believe that they're talking about the better runners covering the 10km in under 30mins after putting so much into the swim and bike. Can't even get my head round how that's possible.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:54 am

Wow, what a terrific event.

Tremendous effort from Alistair Brownlie from Leeds... was leading with about 3km left but just couldn't hold on. Ended up in 12th but that's certainly no disgrace.

Awesome sprint finish saw Frodeno from Germany take it from Whitfield the Canadian who won in Sydney.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Aug 19, 2008 9:18 am

Triathlon is superb. Never gets the credit it deserves despite the high fitness levels needed. Needless to say, I won't be doing it any time soon.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Aug 19, 2008 12:50 pm

marshall_42 wrote:
Athers wrote:Baseball is being cut for 2012

or team GB gaining extra places by ranking by golds!

Football league tables don't get ranked by number of wins, or goal difference. It's points that make prizes!
Ireland - nil points. :mrgreen:

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:14 pm

The Star Trek woman wins the 400m! Pretty close last 100m, with four of them in contention, but she held on.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:18 pm

16 golds so far! Absolutely superb

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:00 pm

isn't that ohoorororororororug woman a druggie?

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm

Batman wrote:isn't that ohoorororororororug woman a druggie?
Well she missed 3 successive drug tests in 2006, so maybe

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm

works for rio, so works for me

tut tut

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:04 pm

No, she was banned after she missed drugs tests, which doesn't give unequivocal proof that she is "a druggie". She's never failed a drugs test.
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:06 pm

thanks for that tone

that's why i asked, because i wasn't sure

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:18 pm

She missed three out of 13 over nine months and passed all the others, so she's not a cheat

Batman

Post by Batman » Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:19 pm

i wasn't suggesting she was, just that i didn't know the full story

i thought i was entitled to a decent answer