Whats the most trouble you have got into at school?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Whats the most trouble you have got into at school?

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Dujon wrote:[bobo & Monty] Yes it's bloomin' annoying is it not? Like yourself I do not use my first given name. Fortunately things have improved over the years as many computer programmes now have a 'known as' field. Unfortunately many organisations seem not to take advantage of it. Once upon a time I worked with a small group of people - about a dozen or so - where seven or eight of us didn't use our first names - one of them had the initials E.J. but was always known as 'Kev' and answered to 'Kevin' or 'Kev'.

I haven't been to the local doctor's surgery for a few years, but I'll lay odds on (even though I have asked them to use my chosen name) that the next time I present myself I'll be called under my first given name. :cry:
So, hang on...

You think people sending tributes to a footballer they don't know is a sad state of affairs, but you expect people to go out of their way to accomodate your unconventional system of naming. Right on..

Your ideal world must be even weider than mine!
No weider than your spelling, Prufrock. :wink: In my case it certainly wasn't a matter of my personal choice. I was christened without any option at Christ Church, Heaton, my first name being Alan. When old enough to understand language everyone called me John - possibly because that had been a late uncle's name - and they did so forever after. So don't blame me - I just answer. However, I do write under my initials of A.J.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:32 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: No weider than your spelling, Prufrock. :wink: In my case it certainly wasn't a matter of my personal choice. I was christened without any option at Christ Church, Heaton, my first name being Alan. When old enough to understand language everyone called me John - possibly because that had been a late uncle's name - and they did so forever after. So don't blame me - I just answer. However, I do write under my initials of A.J.
I suspect your naming was done when your birth was registered at the registry office - not at your christening...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:36 pm

thebish wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: No weider than your spelling, Prufrock. :wink: In my case it certainly wasn't a matter of my personal choice. I was christened without any option at Christ Church, Heaton, my first name being Alan. When old enough to understand language everyone called me John - possibly because that had been a late uncle's name - and they did so forever after. So don't blame me - I just answer. However, I do write under my initials of A.J.
I suspect your naming was done when your birth was registered at the registry office - not at your christening...
You are unquestionably correct, Bish, as I have both a birth certificate and a baptismal certificate. I have seen birth certificates that just say "a son" with no name (it was during the war when all parties were not available) but my names appeared in full.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:44 pm

In my case it was simple choice by my parents. They did it to all 3 of us .... & bloody irritating it's been to us all. But far from rare & especially so in the Bolton area.

Try persuading those who aren't used to it that you haven't, at some point, decided to change your used name. No chucking fance.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:00 pm

bobo the clown wrote:In my case it was simple choice by my parents. They did it to all 3 of us .... & bloody irritating it's been to us all. But far from rare & especially so in the Bolton area.

Try persuading those who aren't used to it that you haven't, at some point, decided to change your used name. No chucking fance.
Not uncommon in North America although they tend to use the first initial. For example the new boss from Texas is C. Colleen Something. This is annoying in today's world because automated searching devices don't pick up their email address unless you know the first initial. J. Edgar Hoover would be another example.

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I was christened without any option at Christ Church, Heaton,
Posh get. :wink:
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:21 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Nearest church to Princess Road, Lostock where I was born (no hospitals or doctors in the war - just the midwife). Dare I tell you that later I was a member of Markland Hill tennis Club?

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:23 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Nearest church to Princess Road, Lostock where I was born (no hospitals or doctors in the war - just the midwife). Dare I tell you that later I was a member of Markland Hill tennis Club?
Posh nancy boy get.
They're dirty, they're filthy, they're never gonna last.
Poor man last, rich man first.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 8:20 pm

Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Wandering Willy wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Posh nancy boy get.
Yes, I was afraid of that....

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:20 am

Prufrock wrote:So, hang on...
You think people sending tributes to a footballer they don't know is a sad state of affairs, but you expect people to go out of their way to accomodate your unconventional system of naming. Right on..
Oh dear, oh dear. Prufrock, old buddy, old pal - it's my name, for heaven's sake! It's the name by which I am known by all of my friends and acquaintances. There is no need for anyone to 'accommodate' me. I address you as 'Prufrock' as it is the name by which I know you, even though I'd be very surprised if it was your real name. In my case it is my real name, not an alias or nom de plume. Why in this context you bring up my remarks about tributes to a man who has had a life threatening experience and survived evades me.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 am

Dujon wrote:
Prufrock wrote:So, hang on...
Oh dear, oh dear. Prufrock, old buddy, old pal - it's my name, for heaven's sake! It's the name by which I am known by all of my friends and acquaintances. There is no need for anyone to 'accommodate' me. I address you as 'Prufrock' as it is the name by which I know you, even though I'd be very surprised if it was your real name. In my case it is my real name, not an alias or nom de plume. Why in this context you bring up my remarks about tributes to a man who has had a life threatening experience and survived evades me.
Actually, I think his real name is J. Alfred, Dujon.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:33 am

I have to show registration cards for my Under 13 team to the opposing team manager before every game. Out of fifteen players, three of my boys answer to different forenames to the one shown on the card.

The card name is taken from the proof of date of birth, which is invariably a copy of a birth certificate.
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:48 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:Actually, I think his real name is J. Alfred, Dujon.
Do you really think, Monty, that he's about to come back with “That is not what I meant at all;
That is not it, at all.”? :mrgreen:

Zulus, you're right in your intent and I appreciate your comment. It'd be interesting to start a conversation in the pub and find out how many lads and lassies don't use their first given name (or forename) in daily life.

Anyway we seem, as usual, to have drifted off the subject of this thread. I'd best shut mi gob.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:12 am

Dujon, my friend, it was a light-hearted joke. As ever, tonality fails to come across on the internet!

I did enjoy Monty pointing out that on the internet, I am in your boat. What does the 'J' stand for? I think Jonathan, as in '...Alfred Kwak'.

This being Friday, I'm currently etherised upon a table.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:14 am

Prufrock wrote:Dujon, my friend, it was a light-hearted joke. As ever, tonality fails to come across on the internet!

I did enjoy Monty pointing out that on the internet, I am in your boat. What does the 'J' stand for? I think Jonathan, as in '...Alfred Kwak'.

This being Friday, I'm currently etherised upon a table.
I find irony hard to resist. I do not know if T. Stearns Elliot ever mentioned his first name, but I'm willing to be corrected. I haven't read the love song for over fifty years.

steviewander
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by steviewander » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:40 pm

Shouldn't be boasting about being Badass at school!
I met one of Danny Gabbidon's old teachers and he said he was a bad lad at school. He was like the only black kid, so he got bullied a lot and then retaliated by being naughty at school.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:41 pm

C.S.Lewis was actually called Clive Staples. His family and friends always called him Jack.

Just another snippet of useless information. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

tripod
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by tripod » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:07 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:C.S.Lewis was actually called Clive Staples. His family and friends always called him Jack.

Just another snippet of useless information. :wink:

I watch the chase too :)

hbk4894
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by hbk4894 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:18 pm

nothing major.

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:20 pm

hbk4894 wrote:nothing major.
5 pages and 16 days......and that's your contribution.