Summer Holidays

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Summer Holidays

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:29 pm

I've got a weekend in Freiburg booked, where I studied and worked for over a year in the late 90s. Beautiful city in a great location on the edge of the Black Forest, plus £68 return to Basel from Manchester is a bonus.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:I've got a weekend in Freiburg booked, where I studied and worked for over a year in the late 90s. Beautiful city in a great location on the edge of the Black Forest, plus £68 return to Basel from Manchester is a bonus.
Aye - been to Freiburg. Lovely place, decent beer, good food. What more could you ask?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
LeverEnd wrote:I've got a weekend in Freiburg booked, where I studied and worked for over a year in the late 90s. Beautiful city in a great location on the edge of the Black Forest, plus £68 return to Basel from Manchester is a bonus.
Aye - been to Freiburg. Lovely place, decent beer, good food. What more could you ask?
Nudie ladies, of course. Tsssk. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 26, 2014 3:29 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Nudie ladies, of course. Tsssk. :roll:
Tsk, they were in Munchen in the Englischer Garten, swimming in the Kleinhesseloher See. :-) Not far from the cricket field. :-)

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:16 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Id avoid the Colosseum, Vatican etc. They look no different to the postcards.

Maybe spend half a day on an open top bus so you can say you've seen them, then get on with enjoying real Rome.

I would always try to go where the romans go, rather than the tourists.
The tourists (mainly American) were rather annoying but I couldn't have not seen the Colosseum. Sistine Chapel is unlike anything I've ever seen but the rest of the Vatican was a bit like an ode to the money the Popes have spent on their own hobbies down the years.

There were amazing things everywhere and yes the best food we had was in the restaurants with the highest proportion of Italians inside.

Tell you what though, the chaps selling 'selfie sticks' weren't half making a killing. People were taking 100 pictures of the 2,000 year old Colosseum, except all of them out of focus in the background because their own face was in the way, amazing.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Whatever happened to asking a stranger to take a photo for you?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:22 pm

in Rome? you might as well chuck your camera down a grid.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:43 pm

Got the 'Err, use your holidays up' email today, so I've booked off w/c 3/11/14.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. Might have a bunch of UK days out, maybe the odd stopover.

Any ideas welcomed.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Got the 'Err, use your holidays up' email today, so I've booked off w/c 3/11/14.

I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do with it. Might have a bunch of UK days out, maybe the odd stopover.

Any ideas welcomed.
Given it was November I was going to suggest an all-inclusive somewhere warm. I checked out Cuba and found a week in November, including airfare, cost $600 per person from Montreal. I then checked the same thing though Virgin in the UK - a week from London was GBP 1100. That's about four times the cost - what a ripoff. So I have no suggestions....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Got the 'Err, use your holidays up' email today, so I've booked off w/c 3/11/14.

Any ideas welcomed.
Wrap up warm, two pairs of socks, and get to the Yorkshire Sculpture Park...

In fact, invite me along! :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:47 pm

Cotswolds. Can't be beaten.

... or let me help Bish overcome his shyness and I invite you down to Torquay !! The restaurants in Dartmouth are cracking.

You're welcome.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:57 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Any ideas welcomed.
Given it was November I was going to suggest an all-inclusive somewhere warm. I checked out Cuba and found a week in November, including airfare, cost $600 per person from Montreal. I then checked the same thing though Virgin in the UK - a week from London was GBP 1100. That's about four times the cost - what a ripoff. So I have no suggestions....
Cuba via Montreal then? sounds alreet

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:00 am

Any ideas welcomed.
http://www.justgo.uk.com/motorhome-range.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or

http://www.rose-narrowboats.co.uk/routes.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:50 am

bobo the clown wrote:Cotswolds. Can't be beaten.

... or let me help Bish overcome his shyness and I invite you down to Torquay !! The restaurants in Dartmouth are cracking.

You're welcome.
Though, thinking about it .... advice on a week travelling in the UK. Dan's your man, Shirley.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:19 am

bobo the clown wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Cotswolds. Can't be beaten.

You're welcome.
Though, thinking about it .... advice on a week travelling in the UK. Dan's your man, Shirley.
Bruce and Dan's Shitholes in 7 days DVD out soon :shock:

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:01 am

Any ideas welcomed.

get out and walk a proper big chunk of the pennine way...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:07 am

I'm planning on visiting a few European cities later this year, and see which one has the best Christmas Market whilst I'm there. I guess the week you've got booked off is too early to do something similar.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:13 am

Beefheart wrote:I'm planning on visiting a few European cities later this year, and see which one has the best Christmas Market whilst I'm there. I guess the week you've got booked off is too early to do something similar.
Oh I don't know. I'd be surprised if the one in Manny isn't on already.

Some great ideas there, chaps. Cheers. Plenty to think about.

Is anyone on here a member of The National Trust? Is it worth it?

And Will - yes, let's do that. Do you know anywhere good en route / nearby for lunch?

General - Me and a mate have been saying for as long as I can remember that we'll do the canal boat thing. Many thanks for the link.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:17 am

i've always wanted to do the canal boat thing - but always fought shy of it with small kids... but - hey - now i don't have any small kids!!

my neighbour used to do it - and he reckoned it was the number one most relaxiong thing he ever did...

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:19 am

thebish wrote:i've always wanted to do the canal boat thing - but always fought shy of it with small kids... but - hey - now i don't have any small kids!!
How small? They're mostly only about 4ft deep. I went on a canal boat last year and it was pretty good fun. We didn't come across any locks which I was a bit disappointed about. You can only go about 4mph but it's not like you're in a rush to go anywhere, and whether it's technically legal or not I reckon it makes it pretty safe to drink and drive (or drink and tiller?).