The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:41 am

Athers wrote:I can't handle QT, the applause often makes me want to put foot through TV. Just watch Newsnight & This Week instead really.
Really? I quite like the fact that the audience can interact and show what they agree with, and what they don't. Think it is fairly unique for that.....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:47 am

Athers wrote:I can't handle QT, the applause often makes me want to put foot through TV. Just watch Newsnight & This Week instead really.
Every week I tell myself I'm not going to watch it so as not to go to bed annoyed. Every Thursday night I go to bed annoyed :oops:

The last sentence I spoke last Thursday before summarily executing the transmission was "feck off, Hucknall, you bellend" (although I probably did mumble something further about 'and what the feck would he know about energy tariffs?' as I went upstairs)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Really? I quite like the fact that the audience can interact and show what they agree with, and what they don't. Think it is fairly unique for that.....
I think my problem is that the applause comes from things like "Why don't we just let teachers teach!" and such. It winds me up.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:33 pm

I've just read this where Cameron said people in Waitrose are more chatty with him, to people who work at Waitrose.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... se-elitism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He said: "I shop at various different supermarkets. I'm going to be honest with you. When I'm at home in the constituency I go to Sainsbury's in Chipping Norton, because there isn't a Waitrose. When I'm having a day in the central town in my constituency I go to Waitrose in Witney. In London, as I've said, it's Ocado delivered, after it's got through all the security measures.

"I have got an interesting piece of supermarket sociology for you, which is that there's something about Waitrose customers – they are the most talkative. I find if I shop in Waitrose in Witney it takes me about twice as long, because everyone wants to stop you and have a chat, whereas in other supermarkets I find I can dart round very quickly. That's something about your customers. They're very talkative, engaged people."
Labour have published a response.
"Families are on average £1,600 a year worse off since David Cameron became prime minister," it read. "Most families understandably have to shop around and watch every penny because of the cost-of-living crisis, plus very many people increasingly have to rely on food banks. This is a world away from that of David Cameron.

"There's nothing wrong enjoying shopping at Waitrose. But Cameron seems to be saying that at Waitrose you get a better class of shopper. This is a bizarre and empty-headed intervention from a prime minister who increasingly gives the impression of being stuck-up and out of touch."
This £1,600 figure. I'm paying less tax this month, sod yer.

This is the world of 24 hour news and angry soundbite responses I suppose.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:06 pm

Athers wrote:I've just read this where Cameron said people in Waitrose are more chatty with him, to people who work at Waitrose.

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/201 ... se-elitism" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He said: "I shop at various different supermarkets. I'm going to be honest with you. When I'm at home in the constituency I go to Sainsbury's in Chipping Norton, because there isn't a Waitrose. When I'm having a day in the central town in my constituency I go to Waitrose in Witney. In London, as I've said, it's Ocado delivered, after it's got through all the security measures.

"I have got an interesting piece of supermarket sociology for you, which is that there's something about Waitrose customers – they are the most talkative. I find if I shop in Waitrose in Witney it takes me about twice as long, because everyone wants to stop you and have a chat, whereas in other supermarkets I find I can dart round very quickly. That's something about your customers. They're very talkative, engaged people."
"Families are on average £1,600 a year worse off since David Cameron became prime minister," it read. "Most families understandably have to shop around and watch every penny because of the cost-of-living crisis, plus very many people increasingly have to rely on food banks. This is a world away from that of David Cameron.

"There's nothing wrong enjoying shopping at Waitrose. But Cameron seems to be saying that at Waitrose you get a better class of shopper. This is a bizarre and empty-headed intervention from a prime minister who increasingly gives the impression of being stuck-up and out of touch."

That statement from Cameron is horrendous. It sounds like a spoof.

I just can't imagine what thoughts he actually manages to filter out before they leave his mouth!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Apr 03, 2014 1:14 pm

Athers wrote:I've just read this where Cameron said people in Waitrose are more chatty with him, to people who work at Waitrose.

How are they so shit at politics?! What goes through the head of a Prime Minister constantly attacked for his Eton background and mocked as an out-of-touch toff before he says something like that?

I find most of the sniping at his background annoying, but fecking come on! Think, you stupid bastard.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:36 pm

Prufrock wrote:

How are they so shit at politics?! What goes through the head of a Prime Minister constantly attacked for his Eton background and mocked as an out-of-touch toff before he says something like that?

I find most of the sniping at his background annoying, but fecking come on! Think, you stupid bastard.
My friend used to work in a Waitrose down South somewhere. She's very pretty, has a white Lancastrian father and a Goan mother. One of the customers was Norman Tebbitt. He gave her the old, 'Well.helllllloooo!' told her she was beautiful then asked her which part of the Middle East she was from. Was apparently surprised to hear Bolton.
Bit of a tangent, but thought I'd share.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:04 am

Not seen the millionaire Ed coming out of Lidl much though, have we?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:Not seen the millionaire Ed coming out of Lidl much though, have we?
I think you might be missing the point. I doubt anyone gives a shiny shit where they shop. I know I don't.

It was the "waitrose shoppers are the most chatty and engaging" that was the problem.

Even if that is true in his experience you don't say it....just no.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:41 am

it's bollox anyway - any fule know that KwikSave customers are the chattiest...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:49 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:Not seen the millionaire Ed coming out of Lidl much though, have we?
I think you might be missing the point. I doubt anyone gives a shiny shit where they shop. I know I don't.

It was the "waitrose shoppers are the most chatty and engaging" that was the problem.

Completely failing to register on my problem-ometer. Some folk with little better to do just look for this kind of nonsense.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:50 am

thebish wrote:it's bollox anyway - any fule know that KwikSave customers are the chattiest...
That's because they're all on speed. ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Completely failing to register on my problem-ometer. Some folk with little better to do just look for this kind of nonsense.
I agree. But the point is some people do look for this kind of nonsense. And Cameron knows this. And said it anyway, the fecking cretin.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:17 am

Anyway, good article here by Mehdi Hassan in the Huffington Post (so nice and unbiased then :D) on the case for staying inside the EU and not trying to go down the Norway/Switzerland road: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/mehdi-h ... 81860.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:27 am

Prufrock wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I agree. But the point is some people do look for this kind of nonsense. And Cameron knows this. And said it anyway, the fecking cretin.
Agree. You'd have to be stupid or arrogantly complacent to come out with that sort of thing.

I don't think he's stupid, really.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:02 am

What do you reckon to that Huff Post Article, Crayons? You've (I think) in the past challenged the assumption made by the pro-EU lot that we couldn't just negotiate a Norway/Switzerland style deal. If those numbers are correct (yeah, it's Medhi Hassan in a lefty magazine) seems a decent argument that we wouldn't benefit anyway!

Hobes, you sound like one of those tin-foil hat nutters.

Firstly, I'm believe in equality for gays, and I'm not knowingly part of any cabal, nor do I believe in half the shite you've lumped together up there.

And it is normal. It's like blond hair, or being tall, or being left-handed. It's not the majority, but it's normal.

Beyond that, why do you give a shit? Even if we accept it's weird and icky and not normal or natural, why do you care? Some rights aren't for everyone? What does two gay people being allowed to call their relationship a marriage mean in relation to you getting out of bed?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:10 pm

Wannabee Republican nominees fawning over Sheldon Adelson is just ugly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:18 pm

Oversimplification. Why would we get to see that, unless there were any unemployed, poverty stricken, ethnic, disabled, LBGT babies that he could pat on the head at the same time? :conf:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:What do you reckon to that Huff Post Article, Crayons? You've (I think) in the past challenged the assumption made by the pro-EU lot that we couldn't just negotiate a Norway/Switzerland style deal. If those numbers are correct (yeah, it's Medhi Hassan in a lefty magazine) seems a decent argument that we wouldn't benefit anyway!

Hobes, you sound like one of those tin-foil hat nutters.

Firstly, I'm believe in equality for gays, and I'm not knowingly part of any cabal, nor do I believe in half the shite you've lumped together up there.

And it is normal. It's like blond hair, or being tall, or being left-handed. It's not the majority, but it's normal.

Beyond that, why do you give a shit? Even if we accept it's weird and icky and not normal or natural, why do you care? Some rights aren't for everyone? What does two gay people being allowed to call their relationship a marriage mean in relation to you getting out of bed?
Coming from someone confused over threads, I forgive you for your innocence :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 04, 2014 11:24 pm

:D. Dunno how that happened. I wrote it once on t'other thread then thought I'd deleted it because I couldn't find it on here ( :oops: ).