The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

jaffka
Legend
Legend

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by jaffka » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:24 am

Maria Miller, utter feckin greedy disgusting disgrace.

How the feck is she still in the cabinet?

Mind, were all in this together.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Apr 07, 2014 1:50 pm

jaffka wrote:Maria Miller, utter feckin greedy disgusting disgrace.

Agreed. I only read today that it was something like 40k she was asked to pay back for false expense claims but some committee set the figure at 5k. I'm almost apathetic about it now I have such little respect for MPs
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:27 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-25528966" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Former DPP Keir Starmer advising Labour on a new Victim's Charter

Looks like he's taking a run up to a career in politics to me. Good addition to (presumably) Labour if so.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:55 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
jaffka wrote:Maria Miller, utter feckin greedy disgusting disgrace.

Agreed. I only read today that it was something like 40k she was asked to pay back for false expense claims but some committee set the figure at 5k. I'm almost apathetic about it now I have such little respect for MPs
There's not a whole lot Labour can say about it either.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:22 pm

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religio ... be-so.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thought this was a good article on Muslims in Britain and in general. Nice to see a counter to the usual divisive reactionary shite being published.

I don't agree with it all, but it's nice to see an article written in this tone, and not in the Guardian!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:37 am

She's packed in then, Maria Miller. All a bit of a sham really if you ask me. This line says it all. The PM said he hoped she would be able to return to cabinet "in due course". BWFC-I will be along in a minute to defend her though, after all, he's partial to a bit of arrogance and rule-bending as noted in Tonight's Footy'. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26951464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:13 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:She's packed in then, Maria Miller. All a bit of a sham really if you ask me. This line says it all. The PM said he hoped she would be able to return to cabinet "in due course". BWFC-I will be along in a minute to defend her though, after all, he's partial to a bit of arrogance and rule-bending as noted in Tonight's Footy'. ;)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-26951464" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well that is an absurd comparison to make. I mean Mourinho may have transgressed on a barely enforced rule of football, but he isn't in a position of power whereby he can create legislation nor is he in public office.

The problem is that people would be far more forgiving if politicians hadn't for decades and centuries maintained a "holier than thou" attitude.

If a senior public servant had been found fiddling expenses or even making a "serious but genuine error" would David Cameron not be demanding the persons head on a plate? Of course he would.

And that is the problem they seem to be under the misassumption that they can happily have their own little club with its own little rules but also and at the same time preach about people on the breadline who make have a fraction of the wealth they do claiming benefits or whatever.....

If you put yourself in that position you either have to be very very good at hiding stuff or be whiter than white. If they don't then you cannot blame public trust being at an all time low and people baying for blood.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:42 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:She's packed in then, Maria Miller. All a bit of a sham really if you ask me. This line says it all. The PM said he hoped she would be able to return to cabinet "in due course". BWFC-I will be along in a minute to defend her though, after all, he's partial to a bit of arrogance and rule-bending as noted in Tonight's Footy'. ;)

Well that is an absurd comparison to make. I mean Mourinho may have transgressed on a barely enforced rule of football, but he isn't in a position of power whereby he can create legislation nor is he in public office.
Not absurd at all. Transgression's transgression. How can you support breaking the rules, regardless of the arena, when it suits you simply because you happen to like one person more than another? My point is to point out your double standards, a task that can be carried out with consummate ease. ;)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Not absurd at all. Transgression's transgression. How can you support breaking the rules, regardless of the arena, when it suits you simply because you happen to like one person more than another? My point is to point out your double standards, a task that can be carried out with consummate ease. ;)
It isn't double standards in a non comparable case. And even if the case were comparable each situation would rightly be assessed on its own merits.

And even if all that wasn't the case, your point would only work if you yourself had never supported someone who had transgressed against a rule, which I'm sure you have at some point......

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

It isn't double standards in a non comparable case. And even if the case were comparable each situation would rightly be assessed on its own merits.

And even if all that wasn't the case, your point would only work if you yourself had never supported someone who had transgressed against a rule, which I'm sure you have at some point......
Of course it's double standards ON YOUR PART. You can't just pick and chose as to which rules you do and don't obey. Double standards there, BWFC-I good and tasty. Banged to rights. Wriggle all you like. :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Of course it's double standards ON YOUR PART. You can't just pick and chose as to which rules you do and don't obey. Double standards there, BWFC-I good and tasty. Banged to rights. Wriggle all you like. :lol:
It isn't double standards at all. Not even close. For the reasons I've already pointed out. It might be if I got angry about a manager I disliked running down the touchline. Even then context plays a part.

The situations aren't comparable, the rules and governance structures are entirely different and the implications and consequences, massively different.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
It isn't double standards at all. Not even close. For the reasons I've already pointed out. It might be if I got angry about a manager I disliked running down the touchline. Even then context plays a part.

The situations aren't comparable, the rules and governance structures are entirely different and the implications and consequences, massively different.
It is double standards though, on your part, for the very reasons I've pointed out. Further, you've already actually stated your willingness to turn a blind eye when it suits you with your comment "Mourinho can do what he likes for me...". Breaking rules is breaking rules regardless of implications or consequences. None of that applies to you here anyway. You can't simply allow it for one person to break the rules then condemn another for doing the same. No. Double standards, on your part - nailed on.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

It is double standards though, on your part, for the very reasons I've pointed out. Further, you've already actually stated your willingness to turn a blind eye when it suits you with your comment "Mourinho can do what he likes for me...". Breaking rules is breaking rules regardless of implications or consequences. None of that applies to you here anyway. You can't simply allow it for one person to break the rules then condemn another for doing the same. No. Double standards, on your part - nailed on.
Course you bloody can! Would you condemn every person who has ever broken a rule or law equally?

I don't condemn Rosa Parks for sitting in the wrong bit of the bus and I do condemn Maria Miller for fiddling her expenses. If that means I have double standards I'm ok with that!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:52 pm

Prufrock wrote: Course you bloody can! Would you condemn every person who has ever broken a rule or law equally?

I don't condemn Rosa Parks for sitting in the wrong bit of the bus and I do condemn Maria Miller for fiddling her expenses. If that means I have double standards I'm ok with that!
Ah, the same man who came over all pious when people on here were complaining about getting speeding tickets for barely breaking the limit. Something along the lines of "You can't simply pick and chose which laws you can break and which ones you can't". So that's you on the list. Wanker. ;)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:35 pm

Did I? (I might have done!) 'It's the law' or 'it's the rules' are good starting-points, but it's not enough to say all people who break them are always cocks. There's a quote I can never find, I think by one of the American founding fathers, that says something along the lines that an intelligent man is not the man who blindly obeys with all laws, but who questions them and makes his own choices. I'm not saying I've never said the opposite though :D!

I think the idea that all breaches of laws or rules are all equally worthy of condemnation is utterly ridiculous and don't for a second believe you mean it, by the way :wink:

Nor do I think you can call it 'double standards' unless we're talking about pretty similar things. Otherwise they're not 'standards'.
Last edited by Prufrock on Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:40 pm

On the recommendation of the barely-into-his twenties, recently graduated (from Leeds) son of a friend of mine, who is now camped in Heathrow as part of the opposition to another runway, I bought a copy of John Holloway's Crack Capitalism.

I've only read the first para:

Break. We want to break. We want to break the world as it is. a world of injustice, of war, of violence, of discrimination, of Gaza and Guantanamo. A world of billionaires and a billion people who live and die in hunger. A world in which humanity is annihilating itself, massacring non-human forms of life, destroying the conditions of its own existence. A world ruled by money, ruled by capital. a world of frustration, of wasted potential. We want to create a different world. now, nothing more common., nothing more obvious. nothing more simple. Nothing more difficult.

I'm so pleased to have that kind of stirring recco from a 22 year old. Though his mum and dad aren't sure that occupying Heathrow is the best way to use his degree.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Apr 09, 2014 2:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:Did I? (I might have done!) 'It's the law' or 'it's the rules' are good starting-points, but it's not enough to say all people who break them are always cocks. There's a quote I can never find, I think by one of the American founding fathers, that says something along the lines that an intelligent man is not the man who blindly obeys with all laws, but who questions them and makes his own choices. I'm not saying I've never said the opposite though :D!

I think the idea that all breaches of laws or rules are all equally worthy of condemnation is utterly ridiculous and don't for a second believe you mean it, by the way :wink:

Nor do I think you can call it 'double standards' unless we're talking about pretty similar things. Otherwise they're not 'standards'.
In any case I don't think we need to pay heed to a criminal. I mean, I've been in Bruce's car and he's routinely broken the speed limit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 3:06 pm

William the White wrote:
Prufrock wrote:Did I? (I might have done!) 'It's the law' or 'it's the rules' are good starting-points, but it's not enough to say all people who break them are always cocks. There's a quote I can never find, I think by one of the American founding fathers, that says something along the lines that an intelligent man is not the man who blindly obeys with all laws, but who questions them and makes his own choices. I'm not saying I've never said the opposite though :D!

In any case I don't think we need to pay heed to a criminal. I mean, I've been in Bruce's car and he's routinely broken the speed limit.
That's just to get you out of it a bit quicker. There isn't a Judge in the land etc............ ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Apr 09, 2014 9:51 pm

Here's a good do. All you could ever wish to know about every MP. Expenses and breakdown thereof included.

http://parliament.telegraph.co.uk/mpsex ... y/mp-10141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Apr 09, 2014 11:20 pm

Break. We want to break. We want to break the world as it is. a world of injustice, of war, of violence, of discrimination, of Gaza and Guantanamo. A world of billionaires and a billion people who live and die in hunger. A world in which humanity is annihilating itself, massacring non-human forms of life, destroying the conditions of its own existence. A world ruled by money, ruled by capital. a world of frustration, of wasted potential. We want to create a different world. now, nothing more common., nothing more obvious. nothing more simple. Nothing more difficult.
:conf: Is he a tree?