A Dish Served Cold - Critical comments section

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

A Dish Served Cold - Critical comments section

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:47 pm

A little while before Christmas SOTWA asked me to write the next one in the series of TW novels we have had. I said I think about. Writing is not the problem for me - it's having ideas to write about (especially of interest to our critical TW audience), which is why I have always written non-fiction. However in the slow period between Christmas and the New Year I got an idea and wrote my first novel. Since science fiction, westerns and horror have all been done, it is a whodunnit set in this month. I will post chapters on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays starting next week. It is 20 chapters long. This thread is for whatever critical comment you may have. The novel itself will have a sticky as per usual.

SOTWA kindly provide me with a graphic header. It's rather nice.

.................................................................Image
........................................Image

Monty
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: A Dish Served Cold - Critical comments section

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:50 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:A little while before Christmas SOTWA asked me to write the next one in the series of TW novels we have had. I said I think about. Writing is not the problem for me - it's having ideas to write about (especially of interest to our critical TW audience), which is why I have always written non-fiction. However in the slow period between Christmas and the New Year I got an idea and wrote my first novel. Since science fiction, westerns and horror have all been done, it is a whodunnit set in this month. I will post chapters on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays starting next week. It is 20 chapters long. This thread is for whatever critical comment you may have. The novel itself will have a sticky as per usual.

SOTWA kindly provide me with a graphic header. It's rather nice.

.................................................................Image
........................................Image

Monty
Bring it on. Can't wait. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:21 pm

Looking forward to it!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:55 pm

It was the bloke in white socks, in the Library, using a set of sharpened mousse antlers! Close? :conf:

I shall look forward to it, Monty! :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:28 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:It was the bloke in white socks, in the Library, using a set of sharpened mousse antlers! Close? :conf:

I shall look forward to it, Monty! :)
No, no, Moose antlers, Brikey.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:30 am

Fantastic Montgomery!

Looking forward to it already.
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 2:23 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Fantastic Montgomery!

You are in it, CH, but your part is not as big as some of the other TW novels - no statues I'm affraid.
:wink:

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:07 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:

You are in it, CH, but your part is not as big as some of the other TW novels - no statues I'm affraid.
Well I died(ish) in the first, died in the second and was a seedy, dirty thieving bookie in the last, so any kind of mention will be a step in the right direction. :D

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:24 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Well I died(ish) in the first, died in the second and was a seedy, dirty thieving bookie in the last, so any kind of mention will be a step in the right direction. :D
Well, I'm sure we can improve on that! I'll make you an educated man of culture - how's that? I wonder if that would be believable though? Well, we'll see.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:27 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Well, I'm sure we can improve on that! I'll make you an educated man of culture - how's that? I wonder if that would be believable though? Well, we'll see.
Now that's fiction!! :mrgreen:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

:mrgreen:
Believable? That part is my destiny!!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:30 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
CrazyHorse wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Now that's fiction!! :mrgreen:
Yes, I do want it to have an air of verisimilitude. I'll put my thinking cap back on.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sat Jan 06, 2007 3:32 pm

OI!!

I've got feelings you know. :wink2:

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:08 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:OI!!

I've got feelings you know. :wink2:
Okay, I'll make you a man in education of a different culture - that's practically the same as an educated man of culture, right?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:26 pm

I wanna role. 8)
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:47 pm

Hoolio wrote:I wanna role. 8)
No problem - I'll give you a role that typifies Sunderland fans - earnest, loyal and not very bright - I think there's a spot in Chapter 5.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:16 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
No problem - I'll give you a role that typifies Sunderland fans - earnest, loyal and not very bright - I think there's a spot in Chapter 5.
Oooooh. Now that's showing a really cruel streak Monty. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:17 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
:D

Sweet.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:25 am

The first chapter is now posted. It is quite short but they do, you may regret to hear, get longer.

I have also discovered an unexpected problem with serialization. I wrote this between Christmas and New year, and all the actions takes place in the first week of January. The problem is that, for example, two of my characters discuss their teams chances in the FA Cup match on January 6. Since this is in chapter 7 it won't actually be published for another couple of weeks, by which time it will seem dated. So I hope you can supend your internal clocks when reading this and imagine you are stuck in the first week of January, 2007
Last edited by Montreal Wanderer on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Jan 08, 2007 8:03 am

Cracking start so far Monty. :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"