John Motson

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

John Motson

Post by Nozza » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:30 pm

"If Liverpool move to a new ground, do you think they would lose some of the atmosphere like Arsenal did when moving to the Emirates?"

Question - When did Highbury have ANY atmosphere. Highbury was more devoid of atmosphere than the SoL.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Anfield has no atmosphere either to be fair.

In fact nearly all home grounds are crap 80% of the time.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Sat Jan 06, 2007 5:37 pm

Speaking of this game - Are my eyes decieivng me or is Steven Gerrard stood blocking the keeper on Liverpool corners?

Now now Rafa, a foul in Spain that.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Re: John Motson

Post by fatshaft » Sat Jan 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Hoolio wrote:"If Liverpool move to a new ground, do you think they would lose some of the atmosphere like Arsenal did when moving to the Emirates?"

be awful to lose the chance of another 6 minutes of "justice for the 96"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:58 am

Motson lost it a long time ago, Football is a fast game, Motson's brain is slowing up in his old age.

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:10 am

fatshaft wrote:
Hoolio wrote:"If Liverpool move to a new ground, do you think they would lose some of the atmosphere like Arsenal did when moving to the Emirates?"
s'far as I'm concerned - the liverpool fans can sing what they like - none of my business...

but it does offend my musical ear that they chose that particular tune for the "Justice for the 96" chant..

it puts the stress in exactly the wrong place - musically it is plain wrong (and hence, grating...)

Just-ice to the 96 is the outcome of using that tune when the stress should be:

Just-ice to the 96 (I don't know what the Beatles would have made of it - Liverpool's musical maestros from the past must be turning in their graves...)

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:14 am

Justiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice from Brass Eye?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:14 am

Anywaaaaaay.
Yes John Motson is a tosser.
Businesswoman of the year.

Bwfc in the bloodline
Promising
Promising

Post by Bwfc in the bloodline » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:10 am

Tombwfc wrote:Speaking of this game - Are my eyes decieivng me or is Steven Gerrard stood blocking the keeper on Liverpool corners?

Now now Rafa, a foul in Spain that.
Most throw ins were long to Mr Crouch to knock down for a second ball, especially down their left hand side!
Stay up

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:17 pm

thebish wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
s'far as I'm concerned - the liverpool fans can sing what they like - none of my business...

but it does offend my musical ear that they chose that particular tune for the "Justice for the 96" chant..

it puts the stress in exactly the wrong place - musically it is plain wrong (and hence, grating...)

Just-ice to the 96 is the outcome of using that tune when the stress should be:

Just-ice to the 96 (I don't know what the Beatles would have made of it - Liverpool's musical maestros from the past must be turning in their graves...)
Never been quite sure just what form this "justice" is expected to take. Is this another form of the Irish "Bloody Sunday" that will be ingrained into kids almost from birth when most of them don't even know what it's all about, then carry on into another generation who understand it even less? I can well understand the feelings of loss to the families involved, but the Kop singing about it at a football match just seems to cheapen it all. Just IMO. This is in no way meant to be demeaning or heartless, I just don't understand the persistence after all this time. What will end it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Sun Jan 07, 2007 2:48 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Never been quite sure just what form this "justice" is expected to take. Is this another form of the Irish "Bloody Sunday" that will be ingrained into kids almost from birth when most of them don't even know what it's all about, then carry on into another generation who understand it even less? I can well understand the feelings of loss to the families involved, but the Kop singing about it at a football match just seems to cheapen it all. Just IMO. This is in no way meant to be demeaning or heartless, I just don't understand the persistence after all this time. What will end it?
I think they want Kelvin Mackenzie's head on some kind of metaphorical (possibly literal?) plate... How that would represent "justice" I don't know... but I guess that's what they want..

I'm only guessing here - but I'd be surprised if many of the families really want it all dragged out again...

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:00 pm

On another not, Motson should give it up. He is pretty crap now.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:56 pm

I believe a big part of their quest for 'Justice' comes from the fact that the members of the (at fault) Yorkshire Police force got more compensation for post-traumatic stress than the families of the deceased.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:19 pm

Athers wrote:I believe a big part of their quest for 'Justice' comes from the fact that the members of the (at fault) Yorkshire Police force got more compensation for post-traumatic stress than the families of the deceased.
Aye, cos they made thousands of ticket-less, drunk supporters of Liverpool stampede the ground, didn't they?
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:09 am

Hoolio wrote:Aye, cos they made thousands of ticket-less, drunk supporters of Liverpool stampede the ground, didn't they?
I despair, I really do. How people continue to peddle this shite (and believe it) beggars belief. Would facts get in the way of your nice, little argument here, Hoolio?

Oh, and just because I'm nice, I've dug up one of my old posts on the subject:
blurred wrote: Just a brief quote from Parklife by Nick Varley (an excellent footie book if you can lay your hands on it):
South Yorkshire Police later pursued the theory - if not the Sun's specifics - of drunk and ticketless Liverpool fans being responsible in both evidence to Taylor, who summarily dismissed it, and then again anyway at the inquests into the deaths too.
And a couple more from Liverpool University study into it, to be found at http://www.liv.ac.uk/footballindustry/hborough.html
Acting on information from unnamed police officers, and entitled
"The Truth", the 'Sun' claimed that drunken fans had forced the gates open because they did not have
match-tickets, that they stolen from the corpses lying on the pitch, assaulted police officers and the
emergency services, stolen cameras and other equipment from press photographers, and urinated on
police officers helping the victims. Months later, the "Sun" admitted that the allegations were totally false,
but it had already generated headlines all over the world, and the damage had been done.
The failure to close or block the tunnel leading into the already full pens three and four once the police
had ordered Gate C to be opened was the immediate cause of the disaster, but the public inquiries set
up by the Thatcher Government under Lord Justice Peter Taylor found, more generally, that football had
simply not learned anything from the numerous disasters in its past, that it and the police were so
obsessed with the threat of violence that they were unable to spot people in genuine danger of their lives,
that police fundamentally lost control of the situation, and did not demonstrate the leadership expected
of senior officers, that safety procedures were inadequate, that the ground was badly maintained and
dangerous, that fans were routinely treated with contempt by football, and that fans had been the victims
rather the guilty party. His reports, published in August 1989 and January 1990, dismissed the allegations
against Liverpool supporters for the disaster,
and called instead for a total rethink in the industry's attitudes
towards fans, and on the issue of safety.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:38 am

To be fair, though, blurred...this thread wasn't meant to start a debate about Hillsbrough (FWIW, I'm 20,before my time...no interest)...so divvint blame me guv.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:45 am

Athers wrote:Anfield has no atmosphere either to be fair.

In fact nearly all home grounds are crap 80% of the time.
Surely all grounds are home grounds - to some team?
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:06 am

Hoolio wrote:To be fair, though, blurred...this thread wasn't meant to start a debate about Hillsbrough (FWIW, I'm 20,before my time...no interest)...so divvint blame me guv.
I'm not blaming you, I'm just pointing out (as I feel I should) that when people still believe that it was because of drunk, ticketless hooligans that that was not the case. It was a disaster waiting to happen in the late 80s, and football fans should be aware of and understand what was one of the turning points in the history of modern football. The tributes paid at the time, by fans of clubs up and down the country, reflected very much the 'there but for the sake of God go I' nature of it all.

Anyway, Motson's shite and well past his best (and irritates the f*ck out of me on occasion), but I have to say well done to him yesterday for informing all and sundry watching what the 6 minutes was all about, whereas ex-Liverpool stalwart Lawrenson muttered absolutely f*ck all.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:26 am

Stop rising to the bait then

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 08, 2007 10:03 am

Dr Hotdog wrote:Motson lost it a long time ago, Football is a fast game, Motson's brain is slowing up in his old age.
Agreed

Should be pensioned off before he starts banging on about post office q's and the like on air