Ordinary Boy Preston calls the Kettle Black

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:27 am

Dr.Karl wrote:
The real problem is the public that watch this shit and then buy the shit tabloids that create an interest and buzz in those nobodies. The sad fact is there is a market for "reality" stars. It's not their fault, its the morons that vote and buy The Sun, The Star and Heat in their millions.
I agree with that, also.

Basically, the celebrity 'culture' that is endemic throughout the UK just like a bout of the bubonic plague. It is the worst thing to come out of our culture in the last twenty years and we're now left with countless carbon copies of OK and Heat Magazine, and any number of shows with the overuse of the word 'celebrity' in the title.

Come back the '80's. All is forgiven. :whack:
Smarties have answers.....

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:59 am

Agreed. If for no other reason that at least I could grow my hair in the 80s. :cry:
Businesswoman of the year.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:13 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Agreed. If for no other reason that at least I could grow my hair in the 80s. :cry:
Aye I miss the 80's, there was no Silver Fox back in those days :(

And Bench was in the peak of his TV career too!
Last edited by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army on Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:13 pm

a lot of snobbery being spouted here. there's been voyeurism on tv since it started and a culture of celebrity since man could communicate.

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:33 pm

communistworkethic wrote:a lot of snobbery being spouted here. there's been voyeurism on tv since it started and a culture of celebrity since man could communicate.
Not snobbery at all. What you say is correct, but our focus on 'the celebrity' in recent years has hit new levels. It's gone into overdrive and saturates TV, newspapers and magazines. It's not the necessarilly entirely the fault of the media, but also Joe Public. But one serves the other and therefore they are both culpable.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jan 14, 2007 1:30 pm

simple - don't watch it

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:54 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:Agreed. If for no other reason that at least I could grow my hair in the 80s. :cry:
aye but then there was the music, the worst decade in history musically, I wouldnt wish that on anyone.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:56 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:The Ordinary Boys
Hard Fi
Arctic Monkeys
Libertines
Razorlight

all that shite.

all a sorry representation of Britain. complete throwaway nonsense.

i have pissed out better lyrics than "i'm working for the cash machine" or "oh oh oh, oh, there's panic in america"
Razorlight are pretty sound, the rest I agree with. Total twaddle, especially the Artic monkeys and Boring Boys

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:15 pm

fatshaft wrote:aye but then there was the music, the worst decade in history musically
Bollocks
Sto ut Serviam

Bench
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bench » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:44 pm

communistworkethic wrote:simple - don't watch it
Generally I don't.

But does that stop me from having an opinion on our apparent infatuation with non-personalities who have the dubious title of 'celebrity' hoisted upon them?

No. It doesn't. :crazy:

If you don't agree with what I am saying, then the solution is simple. Don't read it.

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:58 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:
fatshaft wrote:aye but then there was the music, the worst decade in history musically
Bollocks
Wet Wet Wet, Level 42, Howard Jones, Spandua Ballet, Wham, Culture Club, Bros, Bronski BEat, Dead or Alive, Erasure, Five Star, Sam Fox, Go West, Haircut 100, Hall & Oates, Heaven 17, Kajagoogoo, The Smiths, need I go on? It's no contest.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:03 pm

Yes, do go on

Lets get all your bullshit posted in one thread
Sto ut Serviam

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:05 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Yes, do go on

Lets get all your bullshit posted in one thread
I think you missed the point there CAPS, those are the reason the 80's were shit, I didnt say the 80's were good.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:13 pm

fatshaft wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Bollocks
Wet Wet Wet, Level 42, Howard Jones, Spandua Ballet, Wham, Culture Club, Bros, Bronski BEat, Dead or Alive, Erasure, Five Star, Sam Fox, Go West, Haircut 100, Hall & Oates, Heaven 17, Kajagoogoo, The Smiths, need I go on? It's no contest.
:conf:
You've just listed half of my music collection! Some of the finest sounds around. Even Five Star. :whack:
Businesswoman of the year.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:15 pm

Every decade I can remember has had loads of shit music

For every Pete Waterman act, there was some good stuff

I was buying music in the 80s, and my Smiths, Bunnymen, Madness, Associates, Skids/Big Country, Bauhaus, New Order, Undertones, Clash et al is still worth a listen

Anyway, wtf is 'good music'

Shite wailed/bashed out by some deluded wannabes playing gigs in some 2 bit flea pit thinking they are something?
Sto ut Serviam

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:15 pm

CrazyHorse wrote:
fatshaft wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:
Bollocks
:conf:
You've just listed half of my music collection! Some of the finest sounds around. Even Five Star. :whack:
roflmao

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:23 pm

CAPSLOCK wrote:Every decade I can remember has had loads of shit music

I was buying music in the 80s, and my Smiths, Bunnymen, Madness, Associates, Skids/Big Country, Bauhaus, New Order, Undertones, Clash et al is still worth a listen

Shite wailed/bashed out by some deluded wannabes playing gigs in some 2 bit flea pit thinking they are something?
absolutely, I was buying IRon Maiden, Def LEppard, Adam and theAnts, Whitesnake, ZZ Top for example.

However I think decades get judged by the quality of the charts, without doubt the 80's sucked in that department. Synth drums ffs? It was style over substance.

IMO the best decade has been this one, the charts are full of bands who actually write their own stuff, Muse, The Feeling, Shakira, Razorlight, Nelly Furtardo, Gwen Stefani, Snow Patrol, Fratellis, Pink, Kasabian, Killers etc, again need I go on?

Put that list against my 80' chart list. Oh, and Iron Maiden are still in the charts this week just as they were 25 years ago, where are LEvel 42 or Wet Wet Wet?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:40 pm

fatshaft wrote:
CAPSLOCK wrote:Every decade I can remember has had loads of shit music

absolutely, I was buying IRon Maiden, Def LEppard, Adam and theAnts, Whitesnake, ZZ Top for example.
However I think decades get judged by the quality of the charts, without doubt the 80's sucked in that department. Synth drums ffs? It was style over substance.

IMO the best decade has been this one, the charts are full of bands who actually write their own stuff, Muse, The Feeling, Shakira, Razorlight, Nelly Furtardo, Gwen Stefani, Snow Patrol, Fratellis, Pink, Kasabian, Killers etc, again need I go on?

Put that list against my 80' chart list. Oh, and Iron Maiden are still in the charts this week just as they were 25 years ago, where are LEvel 42 or Wet Wet Wet?
Nowt wrong there! Apart from Adam and the Ants.

I mean who would be stupid enough to buy all the Adam and the Ants singles and LP's?

:oops:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Sun Jan 14, 2007 9:49 pm

When this decade turns up owt to rival this..............

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6T9qp9XbRY

Thanks to John Peels Festive 50 1983 ish
Sto ut Serviam

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 14, 2007 10:04 pm

I'm not sure why you try to categorise by the calendar decade, Fatshaft? For me, the best period of my life musically is between 1977 and about 1986. There was plenty o' shite turned out in that period (Bananarama anyone?) but it also spawned the music that I still listen to to this day, and the music that formed the foundation on which today's bands that I enjoy have based their acts, some better than others. Each to their own fella. Just because you might not have liked some of the stuff in a given period doesn't render it shite.
May the bridges I burn light your way