Joint pain

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:59 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
blurred wrote: You can get 400mg Ibuprofen over the counter at a pharmacy - I did at the weekend when I needed some painkillers
What was up?
Post Arsenal bruised ego still playing up? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:08 pm

blurred wrote:You can get 400mg Ibuprofen over the counter at a pharmacy - I did at the weekend when I needed some painkillers
What was up?
It was actually a bastard of a toothache, so I just asked the fella for the strongest painkillers he had.

Fool should have given me codeine, which I subsequently got off my medic-student friend and did the job better.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:11 pm

Ugh. Ibuprofen for a toothache? No thanks. We can get it here in 200mg capsules OTC. We have no drugs that are behind the counter as we are red taped to death when it comes to medicine.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:25 pm

americantrotter wrote:Ugh. Ibuprofen for a toothache? No thanks. We can get it here in 200mg capsules OTC. We have no drugs that are behind the counter as we are red taped to death when it comes to medicine.
Indeed, 'ugh', didn't really do me a great deal of good (worked to a limited extent). Good job I've got friends who are soon to be doctors who have their own stashes of private prescriptions :wink2:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:28 pm

Speaking of prescriptions, will I have to pay full whack these days like I do at the fecking dentist?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Jan 18, 2007 11:29 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Speaking of prescriptions, will I have to pay full whack these days like I do at the fecking dentist?
Should still be exempt as a full-time student, I think. Don't you fill in a form at the start of the year giving you an exemption? Been a few years since I've been down that road...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:31 am

hhmmm happy to spend £200+ on a driver but not £6 on a prescription. :roll:

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:50 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Seriously, the 'taking a break' thing is just not an option at the moment. I think I explained elsewhere a while ago, but at the moment I am competing to take part in the golf version of the Boat Race, which takes place in a couple of months. It is a ten-man team, and I reckon 1-9 pretty much pick themselves. I am not in that nine. I am one of 3 or 4 people who could be number 10, so I am practising as much as I can and getting in as many medal cards as I can. It sounds silly, but a place on the team might well be as useful to me in my career as a second degree.

I don't really have any muscular problems - my back was a bit stiff this weekend, but I think that as much due to the 340 miles of driving I did as one of the team's drivers. The big thing really is that my grip with my fingers is becoming painful. I'd feel a bit silly going to a physio over my fingers.

Anyway, final selection is in a month, so if I have to live on ibuprofen til then then so be it.
Well, live on ibuprofen I have, but it was all in vain. I have not been selected for the 118th Varsity Golf Match against Oxford University. My game has improved beyond recognition since I hacked it round with Messrs. Workethic and Rioja, but not enough, apparently.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:25 pm

Unlucky Pencilbiter.

I know how much you wanted to get your blue - maybe next year perhaps (or will you be studying abroad by then?).

You should be proud of yourself - you did your best.

Are you on the subs bench - maybe someone may drop out at the last moment?

(Hope there is no drug testing if you do - all that ibuprofen!!!).

:wink:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:26 pm

obviously not playing with Messrs Workethic an Rioja meant you weren't up to the level of compatition you faced! ;)

am off to Loch Lomond again next month;)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:28 pm

communistworkethic wrote:obviously not playing with Messrs Workethic an Rioja meant you weren't up to the level of compatition you faced! ;)

I would be jealous, but when I next see you I'll give you a rundown of the places I have played this year. ;)

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:31 pm

aye but Loch Lomond's by invitation only ;)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:37 pm

sluffy wrote:Unlucky Pencilbiter.

I know how much you wanted to get your blue - maybe next year perhaps (or will you be studying abroad by then?).

Thanks mate - I was playing at Walton Heath and The Berkshire this weekend and thought of you when I saw the signs for Sluff! I didn't have time to drop in on you though, unfortunately.

It seems unlikely I will ever have a go again. There is an outside chance I might be able to spend enough time in Cambridge next year to be eligible to play: it all depends, as you say, on what the precise arrangements are for my year in Utrecht. In the unlikely event that I could be eligible next year, it would be fantastic because the Varsity Match 2008 is being held at Royal Liverpool (or Hoylake, if you prefer), which is a course I have quite a bit of experience on, being, as it is, on the Wirral, which is where I live. And in the year after that I have to apply myself to get the First that I came here to get, so I can't afford the time that Blues golf takes up.

Funnily enough, on the subject of the 'eligibility', it is my privately held view that by a strict interpretation of the rules, one of those chosen has not met the residency requirements, but I have no intention of gaining a place in the team the "lawyer's" way...

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:51 pm

sluffy wrote:Unlucky Pencilbiter.

Thanks mate - I was playing at Walton Heath and The Berkshire this weekend and thought of you when I saw the signs for Sluff! I didn't have time to drop in on you though, unfortunately.

It seems unlikely I will ever have a go again. There is an outside chance I might be able to spend enough time in Cambridge next year to be eligible to play: it all depends, as you say, on what the precise arrangements are for my year in Utrecht. In the unlikely event that I could be eligible next year, it would be fantastic because the Varsity Match 2008 is being held at Royal Liverpool (or Hoylake, if you prefer), which is a course I have quite a bit of experience on, being, as it is, on the Wirral, which is where I live. And in the year after that I have to apply myself to get the First that I came here to get, so I can't afford the time that Blues golf takes up.

Funnily enough, on the subject of the 'eligibility', it is my privately held view that by a strict interpretation of the rules, one of those chosen has not met the residency requirements, but I have no intention of gaining a place in the team the "lawyer's" way...
I would have thought a courageous anonymous letter would have been the public spirited thing to do. :wink: I mean what if the light blues win and then get disqualified for an ineligible player - and you could have done something.... Whistleblowers of the world unite!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:32 pm

communistworkethic wrote:obviously not playing with Messrs Workethic an Rioja meant you weren't up to the level of compatition you faced! ;)

I would be jealous, but when I next see you I'll give you a rundown of the places I have played this year. ;)
Oh really, Gentlemen. I'm going to strive for this year's TW Open to be played at The Manor in Kearsley then. Bring Wellies! :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

burnden58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by burnden58 » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:45 pm

I use to have this pain in my hands playing golf.

Rub the cod liver oil into your hands, it will ease the pain but its a right b&stard trying to hang onto the golf club :D
John Byrom once asked me to wash his car

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Oh really, Gentlemen. I'm going to strive for this year's TW Open to be played at The Manor in Kearsley then. Bring Wellies! :wink:
You survived that Brucie? Gee, you can lose a ball on the "greens" there. Never been so knackered in my life than after eighteen holes (twice round) The Manor. Has to be the worst course ever.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:41 am

can't believe that place still exists!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:54 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Well, live on ibuprofen I have, but it was all in vain. I have not been selected for the 118th Varsity Golf Match against Oxford University. My game has improved beyond recognition since I hacked it round with Messrs. Workethic and Rioja, but not enough, apparently.
Hard Luck mummy, hope you aren't too disappointed and had some fun on the way?? At least you can give your aches and pains a rest now. You can also get on with real student life, drinking too much, taking illicit things, snogging girls, watching 2 episodes of neighbours a day, avoiding the library and eating super noodles

(Naturally I didn't do any of these things).
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:58 am

Gertie wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Well, live on ibuprofen I have, but it was all in vain. I have not been selected for the 118th Varsity Golf Match against Oxford University. My game has improved beyond recognition since I hacked it round with Messrs. Workethic and Rioja, but not enough, apparently.
Hard Luck mummy, hope you aren't too disappointed and had some fun on the way?? At least you can give your aches and pains a rest now. You can also get on with real student life, drinking too much, taking illicit things, snogging girls, watching 2 episodes of neighbours a day, avoiding the library and eating super noodles

(Naturally I didn't do any of these things).
:shock: