Crazy money for Hargreaves

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Crazy money for Hargreaves

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:46 pm

Can Owen Hargreaves really be worth £20million?

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hli ... +Owen+move
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:16 pm

Don' t doubt it ..... In these days of over inflated prices and as a "graffter" he is worth every penny.

It was only 9 months ago that on BB I was questioned about my support for this guy.....

and at the end of the World Cup which English player came out with the biggest respect... a certain BM player.

What the guy lacks in gifted skill he makes up for it in every other department imo.

Not wanting to sound off as probably the only person who watches German Footie week in week out, Eintracht before anything else, but do not doubt the guy is a talent in the modern game.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:22 pm

Well I couldn't afford him!

It's United's business practice of late to sign the most talked-about young player in the England team for £20m-£30m. See Ferdinand 2002, Rooney 2004, Carrick 2006 - and in that last instance they were noisily interested in Hargreaves but Bayern weren't playing ball. I think Hargreaves might be an irksomely good signing for them, freeing their other midfielders to go forward in a way I'm not entirely sure they're confident doing with Carrick or Fletcher or whatever godforsaken other dirty little rags they have <sigh>

I can understand the fee if Ashley Young's worth £10m, and United aren't exactly hiding the money or desire.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:25 pm

Don't get me wrong, I rate Hargreaves too and actually always have (when he's playing in his favoured position). I just think it's a lot of money for a 'grafter'.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:27 pm

Frankie Wanderer wrote:
It was only 9 months ago that on BB I was questioned about my support for this guy.....
you were on Big Brother????

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:28 pm

DSb... The German game is not awash with funds..... You can still go to a top flight game for less than 20 euro.

BM are looking to "screw" the "mega rich" prem clubs for everything.
Frankie says " on the day that your mentality catches up with your biology, come round. "

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:29 pm

thebish wrote:
Frankie Wanderer wrote:
Sad .. what your problem :roll:
Last edited by Frankie Wanderer on Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:31 pm

Frankie Wanderer wrote:
thebish wrote:
Frankie Wanderer wrote:
Sad feck .. what your problem :roll:
The bish is relatively new here - he may not be familiar with the initials, Cuz. Or, of course, he may be.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Frankie Wanderer
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Frankie Wanderer » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:34 pm

Cuz.. as usual you at tooooo quick with those fingers :roll:

I thought I was a little harsh . EDIT.

Thanks for the point of order. :)

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can understand the fee if Ashley Young's worth £10m, and United aren't exactly hiding the money or desire.
Well that's true - I've certainly not seen enough to make me think he's worth that.

Maybe next year's TV money is being spent already?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:40 pm

Frankie Wanderer wrote:DSb... The German game is not awash with funds..... You can still go to a top flight game for less than 20 euro.

BM are looking to "screw" the "mega rich" prem clubs for everything.
Indeed so, Frankie. And why not. Even FC Hollywood have to make money, especially when they charge less on the gate than Crawley Town (well they did a season or two back - still so?)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:41 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:I can understand the fee if Ashley Young's worth £10m, and United aren't exactly hiding the money or desire.
Well that's true - I've certainly not seen enough to make me think he's worth that.

Maybe next year's TV money is being spent already?
I've typed long and hard about our own financial situation instead of concentrating on drinking. MU's, well, I can't begin to get my head round that tonight. :wink:

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:13 am

He may not be worth 20m, but I think he is worth 3m more then Carrick!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:16 am

Good player. Very sound defensively, takes up great positions, good in the tackle, and uses the ball well when he has it. Keeps a team ticking over. He would work well for United but to accomodate both him and Carrick as well as Scholes they may require a change in formation. But Slur Alex would be a fool to change things now.

With regards to the money... the point has already been made this week. He's English. And therefore that adds stupid money to his value. If he was, say, German, you'd be looking at £10 million tops.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:18 am

Carrick was bought for £18m. A year worth of inflation. Plus Hargreaves is better. Maths sound ok with that.

Until you consider Carrick was vastly overpriced, possibly worth a third of that

Crouch > Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Crouch > Davies » Sat Jan 20, 2007 10:22 am

Again, the English factor. Carrick is a decent player (nothing more, nothing else), if he was German or Spanish £6-8 million tops.

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:50 am

Frankie Wanderer wrote:and at the end of the World Cup which English player came out with the biggest respect... a certain BM player.
Well yeah, but as long as he didn't step on some guy's groin, throw up on the pitch, or take a penalty before the ref blew his whistle he was always going to be named England's Finest.