Hooliganism ... "the English disease" ???

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:36 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 314949.stm

No longer. Though there remain some idiots around (& , for one, don't fancy a trip to Wet Sham at the end of this season) overall these problems are pretty well contained here these days. Hence the abilty to have huge plate glass buildings arond footy grounds these days. 25 years ago they wouldn't have lasted 2 minutes.

We've always known there were issues in Holland & Germany. Italy has long had it fascist/communist supporter problems. Spain's rampant racism is a 25 yr throw back to our shameful days. The Balkan countries are a disgrace. ... & how anyone can allow the Turks to raise support to levels of intimidation which become sheer terror contibues to amaze me.

But ... it's still the English who are threatened with expulsion from competitions every time some drunk farts near a Euro-cop.

Read this article & weep.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:15 am

Yeah, okay for some Italian nutter to thow a scooter from the top tier into the crowd below; but must get a grip of those Brit hooligans.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:19 am

the italians are shocking

i think compared to a few european countries we're quite tame on the hooligan front

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:22 am

2 words - well countries

Holland

Germany

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:39 am

Holland is not actually a country !
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:40 am

knobpolisher wrote:Holland is not actually a country !
??????
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:43 am

bobo the clown wrote:
??????
Whats ?????? mean ? - The country is Netherlands , Holland is a district in the West of the Netherlands. Bit like saying Essex is a Country.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Re: Hooliganism ... "the English disease" ???

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:03 am

bobo the clown wrote:Hooliganism ... "the English disease" ???
No longer. Though there remain some idiots around (& , for one, don't fancy a trip to Wet Sham at the end of this season)
Nothing to worry about with West Ham. I was in a pub near the ground for the FA Cup last year, Bolton shirt proudly displayed, and didn't even get any cockney banter.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:26 am

knobpolisher wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
??????
Whats ?????? mean ? - The country is Netherlands , Holland is a district in the West of the Netherlands. Bit like saying Essex is a Country.
Ok ok, but its just the use of common terminology.

Ever called the United States of America America??

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:36 am

knobpolisher wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
??????
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holland

I stand corrected. However, as said, I expect most people understand what's meant.

... & yes, The Netherlands, have a huge & ongoing hooligan problem.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:11 pm

I spent a lot of time in the Netherlands and if you ask a dutch person where they come from and they come from the district of Holland they will say Holland never Netherlands. However the non Hollanders always say the Netherlands in response to the same question. Thats because the Hollanders are so far up their own pyloric sphincter (theres that phrase again) they consider themselves above everyone else - and yes they have more of a propensity to violent behaviour because they consider themselves more tribal.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:23 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
No longer. Though there remain some idiots around (& , for one, don't fancy a trip to Wet Sham at the end of this season)
Nothing to worry about with West Ham. I was in a pub near the ground for the FA Cup last year, Bolton shirt proudly displayed, and didn't even get any cockney banter.
Was that you stood with another lad in the Boleyn?

I was in with some West Ham mates but kept me jacket buttoned up. Thing is their White away kit looks very similair to ours, so a jumper or half-buttoned jacket confuses the f*ck out of 'em.

I'm not worried about going to West Ham. I feel sorry for whoever has them for the last game away, though.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:31 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:

I was in with some West Ham mates but kept me jacket buttoned up. Thing is their White away kit looks very similair to ours, so a jumper or half-buttoned jacket confuses the f*ck out of 'em.

I'm not worried about going to West Ham. I feel sorry for whoever has them for the last game away, though.
Yep. Well, two other lads, one of whom was our very own 50sQuiff, but you might have seen me when he was getting the beers.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:32 pm

BBC wrote:And a Serie D game between Genzano and Normanna was suspended early in the second half after a linesman was hit by a drum thrown from the stands.
I know it's hooliganism, but that is quite funny... I wonder if the ref heard it happen?

It would have been good if the ref and linesman were wearing those new communication headsets...

Linesman "Yeah Luca, he was definitely off side"
Ref "You sure Mario?"
Linesman "100%; he was about 2 yar......." BOOOOOOOOOOM!!.
Ref "Jesus Christ.... What the f#ck was that? I'm deaf in one ear...."

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:31 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:

Yep. Well, two other lads, one of whom was our very own 50sQuiff, but you might have seen me when he was getting the beers.
Serious kudos. They were going mental on the pool tables and I saw two White shirts, in the middle of this claret and blue morass looking like a scene from Rourke's Drift, just having a chat like they were in the Beehive!
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:21 pm

Already a thread.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 pm

You tell 'im

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:42 pm

Hoolio wrote:
Already a thread.
Didn't know. Just saw it. Sorry.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:44 pm

You will be :D