Musicals.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Musicals.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:24 pm

Being a little more ancient than most I have a certain fondness for a few musicals. Favourite ones are Brigadoon, West Side Story and South Pacific. Won't deny that in the first couple the dance and dancers had some bearing; Cyd Charrisse and Rita Moreno were pretty dazzling females. South Pacific was mainly for the music although the first wide-screen epic in Todd-ao was a reelation then. Any other sad souls like the musicals?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Musicals.

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Being a little more ancient than most I have a certain fondness for a few musicals. Favourite ones are Brigadoon, West Side Story and South Pacific. Won't deny that in the first couple the dance and dancers had some bearing; Cyd Charrisse and Rita Moreno were pretty dazzling females. South Pacific was mainly for the music although the first wide-screen epic in Todd-ao was a reelation then. Any other sad souls like the musicals?
I certainly enjoyed some from the 1950s and 1960s, including the Sound of Music, Gigi and My Fair Lady. I wouldn't consider myself in any sense a musical movie fan though.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:29 pm

I don't particularly care for the genre, but I must admit the few I liked I really enjoyed.

42nd st. Les Mis. Phantom. I even liked that Disney kid's one Newsies.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:12 am

Yes, TANGO, I'm a bit of a sucker for some of the older ones.

I rather like Oklahoma for its toe-tapping and hummable music. West Side Story was a terrific Romeo and Juliet-esque production with Bernstein's music quite brilliant. Then again I love George Gershwin's music and find Bernstein somewhat in the same mold.

Which, naturally, brings me to Porgy and Bess. Definitely my choice for the number one gong in musicals.

South Pacific I have always liked and also follow you in enjoying Brigadoon. Some of the singing, particularly in South Pacific was a bit ordinary, but who can forget 'Bali Hai' or 'Happy Talk' or, for that matter, the simple 'Wash that man Right Outa My Hair'. Of course the male chorus with 'Nothing like a Dame' always sticks.

No doubt I've missed a few; I must have a serious 'think'.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:24 am

Dujon wrote:Yes, TANGO, I'm a bit of a sucker for some of the older ones.

I rather like Oklahoma for its toe-tapping and hummable music. West Side Story was a terrific Romeo and Juliet-esque production with Bernstein's music quite brilliant. Then again I love George Gershwin's music and find Bernstein somewhat in the same mold.

Which, naturally, brings me to Porgy and Bess. Definitely my choice for the number one gong in musicals.

South Pacific I have always liked and also follow you in enjoying Brigadoon. Some of the singing, particularly in South Pacific was a bit ordinary, but who can forget 'Bali Hai' or 'Happy Talk' or, for that matter, the simple 'Wash that man Right Outa My Hair'. Of course the male chorus with 'Nothing like a Dame' always sticks.

No doubt I've missed a few; I must have a serious 'think'.
Yeah buddy, you missed the best song of all "Some Enchanted Evening" :D Wasn't Rosana Brazzi singing it though. It was Tito Gobi.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:51 am

Yes I'm another one for the Musicals, even the modern ones like "Chicago" and "Moulin Rouge", this last one had some very funny and interesting renditions of famous songs. Like a Virgin was one the best versions ever.

Also, in many of the musicals from the 50's and 60's there were a number of very good voice overs for some of the actors, one of the best was Marni Nixon who sang for Audrey Hepburn in My fair Lady, Natalie Wood in West Side Story and Deborah Kerr in The King and I.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Feb 17, 2007 8:59 am

I sat through 42nd street and on leaving the theatre I was borderline homicidal maniac, it was everything that was bad in musical theatre.

Buddy and Grease were a different kettle of fish all together, with not one appearance of "jazz hands" or nasal voicings passed off as american accents. I enjoyed them both thoroughly.

FaninOz
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by FaninOz » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:35 am

If you are including stage shows then "Mama Mia" (ABBA) and "We will Rock You" (Queen) are two of the best musicals in theatre or on screen that have ever been written.

Another great recent "musical" film was "De-Lovely", the Cole Porter music and Kevin Kline's acting are superb.
Depression is just a state of mind, supporting Bolton is also a state of mind hence supporting Bolton must be depressing QED

kevopey
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by kevopey » Sat Feb 17, 2007 9:47 am

sorry , you oldies , but i'd have to go for Dirty Dancing , then Grease ,,,, lol,,,

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:26 am

Guys and Dolls is on at Sunderland. :)
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:25 pm

The Rocky Horror Picture Show is a must, the audience participation is outstanding. 8)

I also like Hair. Music is good and twentysomething females taking their kit off must be a good thing. :mrgreen:
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:58 pm

kevopey wrote:sorry , you oldies , but i'd have to go for Dirty Dancing , then Grease ,,,, lol,,,
Grease, I class as a musical, but not Dirty Dancing (one of my favourite films) which, for me, was a dance film with a good soundtrack. But hey, what the hell? Roll em on; it's nice to see others appreciating the musicals. Carmen is an opera, but the musical version "Carmen Jones" was very good. Used to like "Carousel" till the Scouse fans got hold of "You'll Never Walk Alone".Went right off it after that. "Kismet" is another favourite as is "The Pyjama game", both mainly for the music rather than any plot. :mrgreen:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:16 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Yeah buddy, you missed the best song of all "Some Enchanted Evening" :D Wasn't Rosana Brazzi singing it though. It was Tito Gobi.
You are right, I did.

I don't mind Grease or, for that matter, Xanadu but it's not so much about the music. I won't say why but will assure you that it was nothing to do with John Travolta.

Some of the nominations, good or bad, I haven't seen. 42nd Street and Dirty Dancing are two. While I have heard some music from Hair and TRHPS I haven't seen either and find them either bland or weird. As the music on a stand alone basis means nothing to me I'm guessing that they are shows you have to see; in other words the music is pointless unless it matches your experience of being there.

I once went to a Liberace concert in Sydney - does that count as a musical or musical comedy? I wasn't laughing I can assure you. My wife and her sister wished to attend so I had to fork out for three tickets as well as play chauffeur. It was a bloomin' expensive sleep.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:09 am

Little Shop of Horrors - quality

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:33 am

Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Only because it used to mean I could sit down in Rockerfellas and watch a bunch of farah trouser/pink Le Shark T-Shirt wearing twxts doind the timewarp seven times a night! :mrgreen:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

NumptyNumbNuts
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NumptyNumbNuts » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:37 am

We did West Side Story and South Pacific at school & I've hated musicals ever since...

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Rocky Horror Picture Show.

Only because it used to mean I could sit down in Rockerfellas and watch a bunch of farah trouser/pink Le Shark T-Shirt wearing twxts doind the timewarp seven times a night! :mrgreen:
Another admission of liking to watch men dance! Likes a musical that features Transvestites! SOTWA just come out of the closet!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:06 am

Yeah, I do like a musical. High Society is a good one that hasn't been mentioned..
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:06 am

I strongly recommend two

Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat - and - Les Misérables

If you have never really been to the theatre before - or if you have been dragged there before - but did not like it - then take my word and go and see Joseph.

Just forget all about this being a story from the bible - if you are like me you would not cross the road to see it if you did - it is simply a story that is told in song - and all different styles of song at that!

If you have kids - take them - it really is excellent - I've never met anyone (young or old) that didn't love it!

Les Misérables is also another one that if you were to read the story line you simply would not bother with - it is a sort of love story set against the Paris uprising in the 1840's!!!

Yes, I know you would rather watch Blackburn play than that - but don't be fooled - it is a cracking show. It costs a fortune lasts for hours - but it really is brilliant!

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:52 am

Got tickets for the Producers in Manchester on opening night tonight, can't wait