If Leeds go down...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:51 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Gertie wrote:If Leeds are relegated, will they search out that little boy who cried at the Reebok when Youri destroyed their premiership careers all those years ago....

He's probably about 28 now (the little kid, not Youri)
You mean Alan Smith?
On my birthday too. :mrgreen:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:54 pm

I heard the kid was a Wolves fan.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:52 pm

NumptyNumbNuts wrote:No, ManU getting relegated in 74ish when their old player Denis Law sent them down with a back-heel while playing for Citeh in the last game of the season.
Not true !! Denis Law backeeling United out of the top flight never happened, they certainly had at least one more game to play after that.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:16 pm

They did go down though....I definitely remember the match at Burnden. IIRC we lost 2-0 at them and 3-0 at us.
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

NumptyNumbNuts
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NumptyNumbNuts » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:46 am

According to Wikipedia for season 1973-74:

"Man Utd's 36yr stay at the top was finally ended by a 1-0 home defeat against Man City in the last but one game of the season - ironically, former United striker Denis Law scored City's winning goal."

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:48 pm

NumptyNumbNuts wrote:According to Wikipedia for season 1973-74:

"Man Utd's 36yr stay at the top was finally ended by a 1-0 home defeat against Man City in the last but one game of the season - ironically, former United striker Denis Law scored City's winning goal."
Au Contraire mon ami , Wikipedia merely continues the urban myth, the fact is as follows.

"Their relegation was sealed by Birminghams win over Norwich which made Law's goal and even a possible United win on the day irrelevant. "

If United had won that game and the last game of that season they would have achieved 36 points which would not have been enough to keep them up. (I am not a United fan - I wan't to make that absolutely clear and legal action will be taken against anyone who suggests otherwise.)
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:09 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
NumptyNumbNuts wrote:According to Wikipedia for season 1973-74:

Au Contraire mon ami , Wikipedia merely continues the urban myth, the fact is as follows.

"Their relegation was sealed by Birminghams win over Norwich which made Law's goal and even a possible United win on the day irrelevant. "

If United had won that game and the last game of that season they would have achieved 36 points which would not have been enough to keep them up. (I am not a United fan - I wan't to make that absolutely clear and legal action will be taken against anyone who suggests otherwise.)
It seems to me that logically, on the evidence presented, that you are both right. It appears evident on the day in question that EITHER a Birmingham win OR a United loss would seal the Mancs fate. Although both conditions were actually fulfilled, either one would have been sufficient. Therefore the Law goal did have this effect as did the Birmingham win. A dead heat. Shake hands, gentlemen. :wink:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

NumptyNumbNuts
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NumptyNumbNuts » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:26 pm

What! Shake hands with a scummer? Not on yer life... :crazy:
:wink:

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:39 pm

Yeah, but I thought the other game finished 1st?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:44 pm

americantrotter wrote:Yeah, but I thought the other game finished 1st?
I have no idea - as noted, I said on the facts presented and I assumed the games were more or less simultaneous (and that United was not already down before they played Citeh).

Edit: I find "Their 36-year stay at the top was finally ended by a 1-0 home defeat against Manchester City in the last but one game of the season - ironically, former United striker Denis Law scored City's winning goal. But Birmingham City's win on that same afternoon would have sent United down even if they had beaten City." Anyone's guess which game finished first.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Epitaph
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Epitaph » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:53 am

officer_dibble wrote:Living in Leeds its a funny old state of affairs

The shirts have dissapeared off the streets, the fans from the stands (last night incidentally they charge £15 and got 30k)
Yeah I don't see many around, it's all about Leeds Rhinos now.

susstudio
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by susstudio » Sun Feb 25, 2007 4:37 pm

Epitaph wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:Living in Leeds its a funny old state of affairs

The shirts have dissapeared off the streets, the fans from the stands (last night incidentally they charge £15 and got 30k)
Yeah I don't see many around, it's all about Leeds Rhinos now.
RHINOS!!

(Sorry, it had to be said... at least our Super League team are better than our football team...)

:crazy:?! I think so too!!

KEVIN DAVIES FOR PRESIDENT!!