Jobsworths.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Jobsworths.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:06 pm

More wisdom from the council (grand word that, council, sounds so officious):

Hired a skip at weekend to clear one "garage", (read shed full of wonders) Skip rules: No batteries, no TV's no fridges etc etc etc. Filled said skip then wife contacted the "council" about the rest.

"Hello, Department of Stupid Rules and Jobsworth issues. How can I help you?"

"I'd like to have some household items removed please. Couple of old car wheels, small fridge, some metal bits, two deckchairs, a panel heater and an electric fire. Various other items."

"Ah, we'll take the fridge this time but in two weeks fridges are no longer acceptable. No car wheels or tyres; we don't do metal or electrical items, so no fires. Oh, and we don't do various items Everything must be carefully listed. What are the deck chairs made of?"

"One metal-framed, one wooden"

"We'll take the wooden one, no metal"

"Er, but we're paying for the service aren't we? What exactly do you take?"

"Old furniture, three piece suites etc, carpets rugs and, er, that's about it"

"So what exactly are householders supposed to do with the rest?"

Sharp intake of breath:

"Well, you could try the tip. There are carefully specified areas for different items. And I need a specific list now. Any items not on the list will be returned or left behind. "

"But we don't have a vehicle; that's why we're contacting the council. You advertise household item removal"

"Ah yes, but only certain household items madam"

"But is it not the job of the council as to where items go? Surely that's why you charge us"

Outraged hiss of fury:

"Certainly not madam. We need lists of everything. It's more than my job's worth to say differently. Rules are rules."

"What time will the vehicle arrive?"

"Could be anytime between eight in the morning and six in the evening" Er, your credit card number and address please. Thank you madam. Bolton Council Department of recycling of certain items to help save the planet is glad to have been of service".

Voice from background....me:

"Tell em to fxxk off I'll get the lad to run me to the tip. And remind them they just banged our council tax up by three hundred quid. Here, give me that phone". Wife slams phone down quickly and cuts me off......

Bring back the good old-fashioned binmen. :evil:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:59 pm

No, TANGO, the binmen were always a bit fussy. The rag and bone man though . . .

Bring back the Steptoes!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:10 am

... and they're surprised that fly-tipping abounds.

We should run a "what's the world coming to" Forum.

It could go under the general heading of "Grumpy Old Wanderers Supporters".

I'm in.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:25 am

To be fair to the Council - any Council - they have to apply the law.

These days legislation comes from Europe as well as Parliament.

The European Landfill Directives - have in the last several years - put restrictions on what can now go into landfill sites.

Whether we like it or not - this really needs to be done. Put simply, we are creating more rubbish than 'holes' in the ground in which we can put it!

The idea of things like segregating waste (and fortnightly refuse collection) is to 'nudge' people more and more towards 'thinking' about their waste - and pushing them to recycle more.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a 'green' activist or anything - it simply is that 'we' now don't really have a choice other than to mange our waste - and it will only be a matter of time before legislation is introduced to weigh our 'dust-bins' and then charge us in accordance to how much we throw away.

Yes it will lead to an increase in fly-tipping - but there really is no other feasible way to go.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:27 am

Hang on a bit, bobo, we'll have to take a vote on this.

I request a meeting of members of the old phart's club be convened (at our convenience) in order to consider "bobo's" self nomination.

All those in favour?

All those against?

I think the Ayes have it.

Welcome aboard, bobo.

Good: next on the agenda is elephants, could the gentleman who proposed this motion please stand up (assuming of course that he hasn't got a boot full)?

No?

I declare this meeting closed until next time we decide to have a . . . (well, I don't know what you lot call it - I just tell my wife I'm having a few with the lads).

Right, that's it then.

Who's round is it?

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:28 am

sluffy wrote:To be fair to the Council - any Council - they have to apply the law.

The European Landfill Directives - have in the last several years - put restrictions on what can now go into landfill sites.

Whether we like it or not - this really needs to be done. Put simply, we are creating more rubbish than 'holes' in the ground in which we can put it!

The idea of things like segregating waste (and fortnightly refuse collection) is to 'nudge' people more and more towards 'thinking' about their waste - and pushing them to recycle more.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a 'green' activist or anything - it simply is that 'we' now don't really have a choice other than to mange our waste - and it will only be a matter of time before legislation is introduced to weigh our 'dust-bins' and then charge us in accordance to how much we throw away.

Yes it will lead to an increase in fly-tipping - but there really is no other feasible way to go.
Dig more holes????

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:31 am

sluffy wrote:To be fair to the Council - any Council - they have to apply the law.

You're right about the landfills, but how is someone chucking their old tele in the river Croal and then having a team of council workers clear it up more environmentally friendly (and cost effective) than the council coming round to collect it?
Businesswoman of the year.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:31 am

There are 4,000 holes in Blackburn, at least according to the Beatles. Take the rubbish there.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:33 am

Bring back the good-old fire and burn the stuff. Worked well enough for long enough in the past. We don't live in "Europe" we live in England. "Europe" has been responsible for more fxxk-ups in the modern world than England ever was. The Common Market is a classic example.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:36 am

You can't do that! You need a chit to start a fire. Have you got a chit, in quadruplicate?
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:40 am

InsaneApache wrote:You can't do that! You need a chit to start a fire. Have you got a chit, in quadruplicate?
It's in quintuplicate now. They just opened a new "Ministry of chit-checking" to keep track of all the chits being in order. Re-cycling was invented to get rid of all the government waste paper. Saving the planet has nothing to do with it.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:42 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:

Dig more holes????
Where? (apart from Blackburn!)

I read somewhere that every home on average produces one ton of waste per year. Obviously that is year after year after year, etc, etc.....

Landfill sites - once they are full - cannot really be used for much - due to the trapped methane - certainly the land can not be built on for housing. Some are however landscaped and used for golf courses.

The current thinking on waste disposal is to burn it - so Tango you are thinking along the right lines! - by building incinerators - and thus by burning the waste convert it into electricity. However there is major opposition to having incinerators sited anywhere near where people live - due to the theoretical health risks. I don't particularly want one near me - but I'm getting one!!!

The problem of waste is not going to go away - and the solutions are probably going to cost us all money if we like it or not.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:44 am

sluffy wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:

Dig more holes????

I read somewhere that every home on average produces one ton of waste per year. Obviously that is year after year after year, etc, etc.....

Landfill sites - once they are full - cannot really be used for much - due to the trapped methane - certainly the land can not be built on for housing. Some are however landscaped and used for golf courses.

The current thinking on waste disposal is to burn it - so Tango you are thinking along the right lines! - by building incinerators - and thus by burning the waste convert it into electricity. However there is major opposition to having incinerators sited anywhere near where people live - due to the theoretical health risks. I don't particularly want one near me - but I'm getting one!!!

The problem of waste is not going to go away - and the solutions are probably going to cost us all money if we like it or not.
There are huge areas of absolutely fook all in this country - North Yorkshire, Cumbria. Fook it just use Wales!
Last edited by superjohnmcginlay on Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

InsaneApache
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by InsaneApache » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:50 am

A better idea. When the Scots vote for independence, send all the bin wagons north......you get my drift? :D
Here I stand foot in hand...talkin to my wall....I'm not quite right at all...am I?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:52 am

Let's face it Sluffy. A huge amount of our problems are caused by over-population due to our "welcome the world" immigration policies. We give aid to the world, save the animals, save the rain forests and hand out millions/billions to countries ruled by despots who can't look after themselves. It's all fine Tony Blair and co being seen as world leaders in everything, but the old phrase "Getting one's own house in order" springs to mind.

Inside the shack we are being taxed to stupidity to fund it all and our own so-called services are nothing but money-grabbing private enterprise schemes. Well, of course they are. That generates more income tax. Our government is the biggest joke since humour went out of fashion. I'm really glad I probablly won't be around in thirty years time. Way things are going I dread my kids and grandkids futures.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:57 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
sluffy wrote:
superjohnmcginlay wrote:

Dig more holes????

There a huge areas of absolutely fook all in this country - North Yorkshire, Cumbria. Fook it just use Wales!
I know your not being serious - but even what you say as vast implications - ideally you want to dispose of waste as close as you can to where the waste was produced.

Just imagine how many lorry journeys it would take to transport the waste of say the rest of the country to say Wales - probably tens of thousands - maybe more? - each and every year!

Then what do you do when Wales is full - start on Scotland as Insane suggests! :wink:

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:03 am

sluffy wrote:
Then what do you do when Wales is full - start on Scotland as Insane suggests! :wink:
Oi! There's isn't enough warm sunshine up here for us to get any use out of England's old deckchairs.

sluffy
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sluffy » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:Let's face it Sluffy. A huge amount of our problems are caused by over-population due to our "welcome the world" immigration policies. We give aid to the world, save the animals, save the rain forests and hand out millions/billions to countries ruled by despots who can't look after themselves. It's all fine Tony Blair and co being seen as world leaders in everything, but the old phrase "Getting one's own house in order" springs to mind.

Inside the shack we are being taxed to stupidity to fund it all and our own so-called services are nothing but money-grabbing private enterprise schemes. Well, of course they are. That generates more income tax. Our government is the biggest joke since humour went out of fashion. I'm really glad I probablly won't be around in thirty years time. Way things are going I dread my kids and grandkids futures.
I'm not trying to be political in any way. The simple truth is that with or without immigration - we have to address the way we deal with our waste.

If there were less people in the country then the problem would have to be addressed later rather than sooner - but nevertheless it would still need to be addressed.

As I say - like it or not things change - how much smoke was there in Bolton when we were kids - there is non now due to the Clean Air Acts.

Smoking in public places will be introduced shortly due to the risks of passive smoking to others.

It is inevitable that our waste disposal habits have to change to - immigrants or no immigrants.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:08 am

sluffy wrote: Then what do you do when Wales is full - start on Scotland as Insane suggests! :wink:
Falkland Islands. We've spent a lot of time and money keeping hold of the bloody things, might as well make use of 'em. Huge boats sent down, fill the fookers up and then give 'em to the argies. Jobs a good 'un.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:19 am

sluffy wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Let's face it Sluffy. A huge amount of our problems are caused by over-population due to our "welcome the world" immigration policies. We give aid to the world, save the animals, save the rain forests and hand out millions/billions to countries ruled by despots who can't look after themselves. It's all fine Tony Blair and co being seen as world leaders in everything, but the old phrase "Getting one's own house in order" springs to mind.

I'm not trying to be political in any way. The simple truth is that with or without immigration - we have to address the way we deal with our waste.

If there were less people in the country then the problem would have to be addressed later rather than sooner - but nevertheless it would still need to be addressed.

As I say - like it or not things change - how much smoke was there in Bolton when we were kids - there is non now due to the Clean Air Acts.

Smoking in public places will be introduced shortly due to the risks of passive smoking to others.It is inevitable that our waste disposal habits have to change to - immigrants or no immigrants.
Whilst accepting the rest of the points, please don't get me going on "passive smoking". It's a very sore subject.