It is like buying money!

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

It is like buying money!

Post by Nozza » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:37 pm

Get a BoylesSports account set-up:

www.boylesports.com

And get a small wedge layed on these:

Sunderland to win remaining 4 games @ 9/1
Sunderland to score 75 or more goals in 06/07 season (currently 65) @ 10/1.

Silly prices.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:52 pm

This is the Sunderland who have failed to win 18 out of 42 league games this season !
This is the Sunderland who are currently averaging 1.5 goals per game !
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Thu Apr 12, 2007 1:59 pm

I've checked your fixtures - the Sunderland who still have to go to Colchester - who are very good at home.

Bolton to beat Arsenal at 4-1 - that's the bet to go for
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

Luna
Promising
Promising

Post by Luna » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:02 pm

Anything to do with the fact BoylesSport are now your main sponsors?

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:18 pm

Hoolio, if you're really intending to bet on Sunderland to win all their remaining games why don't you place your stake on the next game at the best price possible and then if they win, place all your winnings and original stake on to the next game and continue to do so for all their games. You'd definitely get better odds than 9/1 that way.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:54 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:Hoolio, if you're really intending to bet on Sunderland to win all their remaining games why don't you place your stake on the next game at the best price possible and then if they win, place all your winnings and original stake on to the next game and continue to do so for all their games. You'd definitely get better odds than 9/1 that way.
Because I can't get it in a double with the scoring bet. :P

Pays for me season ticket if it happens.
Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

NumptyNumbNuts
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by NumptyNumbNuts » Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:58 pm

Hoolio wrote:
Dr.Karl wrote:Hoolio, if you're really intending to bet on Sunderland to win all their remaining games why don't you place your stake on the next game at the best price possible and then if they win, place all your winnings and original stake on to the next game and continue to do so for all their games. You'd definitely get better odds than 9/1 that way.
Because I can't get it in a double with the scoring bet. :P

Pays for me season ticket if it happens.
You could always put in a treble with West Ham to stay up! :wink:

Batman

Re: It is like buying money!

Post by Batman » Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:35 pm

Hoolio wrote:Get a BoylesSports account set-up:

www.boylesports.com

And get a small wedge layed on these:

Sunderland to win remaining 4 games @ 9/1
Sunderland to score 75 or more goals in 06/07 season (currently 65) @ 10/1.

Silly prices.

No such thing as a stupid bet, just stupid people.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:22 am

there's a reason you never see a poor bookie.

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri Apr 13, 2007 5:03 pm

communistworkethic wrote:there's a reason you never see a poor bookie.
Aye, their shocking overrounds.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:53 pm

Ahh, count me in as the exception here, my good man. A girl I once knew, well her father decided to buy the little local independent 'bookies' when it came up for sale some years ago. Anyway, a punter came up on one of those bets that requires explanation (well, to the likes of me anyway). As a result her dad lost the bussiness, their house and everything.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:51 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Ahh, count me in as the exception here, my good man. A girl I once knew, well her father decided to buy the little local independent 'bookies' when it came up for sale some years ago. Anyway, a punter came up on one of those bets that requires explanation (well, to the likes of me anyway). As a result her dad lost the bussiness, their house and everything.
you can probably buy insurance for that sort of stuff , plus most betting places have a top payout level were if you bet £100 on elvis landing on the moon at 5,000,000,000 to 1 and if that happens they'll only owe you £300,000 ish or summert coz their small print sez so..

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:04 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'd be intrigued to know the ins and outs of that - as mentioned there should be not only some form of liability insurance stipulated, but also most bookies will only accept bets up to a certain amount - quite often even going in to ladbrokes or somewhere they'll have to check with head office before accepting certain bets/liabilities...

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:08 am

blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'd be intrigued to know the ins and outs of that - as mentioned there should be not only some form of liability insurance stipulated, but also most bookies will only accept bets up to a certain amount - quite often even going in to ladbrokes or somewhere they'll have to check with head office before accepting certain bets/liabilities...
I'm sure I've read somewhere that there isn't a legal obligation for a bookie to pay up.

In any case such a business should be run as a limited company so liability is limited to the assets of that company.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:40 am

Of course, anyone with any brains would've insured themselves accordingly, or set up a Ltd company, but this guy decided to blow his redundancy money on buying the bookies and ran with it. It was about 25 years ago.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:00 am

IIRC a gambling debt isn't enforceable in law for either party - a fact well known to the Rooney household.

As a bookie you can't buy insurance against a big winner, it's part of your job to "lay" those bets elsewhere, offsetting your risk.

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:15 am

I remember seeing a story from a few years ago where someone bet a large sum on his team to stay up at about 66-1. They did - but those odds were meant to be the odds for winning the division. As I recall, the bookmakers were not obliged to pay up (though they did for commercial reasons).
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:48 pm

warthog wrote:
blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'm sure I've read somewhere that there isn't a legal obligation for a bookie to pay up.

In any case such a business should be run as a limited company so liability is limited to the assets of that company.
But if they didn't pay up nobody would go in there anymore, so they'd still go bankrupt
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Sat Apr 14, 2007 5:53 pm

Henrik's fan club wrote:
warthog wrote:
blurred wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

But if they didn't pay up nobody would go in there anymore, so they'd still go bankrupt
Yes they would, if they did that for run of the mill bets, but we're talking the really massive losses here. What usually happens if they haven't laid the bet off, is that they negotiate with the punter so he gets at least some of the winnings.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sat Apr 14, 2007 8:10 pm

Still on. 8)