Give an inch ... & take a mile (RANT)

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu May 10, 2007 7:46 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Being that I am in transportation, I am sick of having to switch between imperial and metric. The country just needs to up and convert. But then again, you'd have those redneck morons in the South fighting tooth and nail to defend the tablespoon, whilst ignoring the fact that their jobs are being shipped overseas. You know, the usual.
LOL Yep, the same bastards who are poor and could benefit from social programs but vote against them. Mainly because they've been brain washed into believing that welfare is evil and that they are self sufficient.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 10, 2007 8:47 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:Being that I am in transportation, I am sick of having to switch between imperial and metric. The country just needs to up and convert. But then again, you'd have those redneck morons in the South fighting tooth and nail to defend the tablespoon, whilst ignoring the fact that their jobs are being shipped overseas. You know, the usual.
I think I mentioned some time back in another thread the story of the Gimli Glider, a passenger jet that ran out of fuel shortly after we went metric. The pilot thought he had 20,000 kilograms aboard when he only had 20,000 pounds (aircraft fuel goes by weight, not volume). The automatic system was on the fritz and the manual measure (dripstick gave the volume in litres which they may have thought gallons). In any event it only had enough fuel to get halfway from Montreal to Edmonton and ran out of fuel at 40,000 feet over Ontario. At this point it became a glider.

So converting to the metric system can be tricky.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
I think I mentioned some time back in another thread the story of the Gimli Glider, a passenger jet that ran out of fuel shortly after we went metric. The pilot thought he had 20,000 kilograms aboard when he only had 20,000 pounds (aircraft fuel goes by weight, not volume). The automatic system was on the fritz and the manual measure (dripstick gave the volume in litres which they may have thought gallons). In any event it only had enough fuel to get halfway from Montreal to Edmonton and ran out of fuel at 40,000 feet over Ontario. At this point it became a glider.

Wasn't that what went went wrong with (not easy to say that ... try it out loud) one of the Mars probes. It was set to open it's rockets when so many feet from the ground but it was in cm's ? Never heard of again.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu May 10, 2007 9:15 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

Wasn't that what went went wrong with (not easy to say that ... try it out loud) one of the Mars probes. It was set to open it's rockets when so many feet from the ground but it was in cm's ? Never heard of again.
I'm not sure - so many Mars probes have failed for so many reasons (one only got as far as Australia I think), but that is as likely an explanation as any other.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri May 11, 2007 12:17 am

Yes, Bobo, you are spot on - at least that is what we've been advised. A cock up in the coding of the on-board computers. My theory is, of course, that it's the LGMs who are (or were) sabotaging probes of terrestrial origin. :wink:

On the subject of metrification, I really couldn't care less what system is used provided that it's standard in its use of units across all of Measuredom. In a sense the sexagesimal system is still used throughout the world by dint of the clock. This, sort of, overflows into navigation as time is important in calculating longitude and also to astronomy where altitude is determined by hours and minutes and azimuth by degrees. Let's have a 10 hour day - 5 for each half - and a hundred minutes (or 10 if you prefer) to each hour. If nothing else it might shut up those who keep harping on about 35 hour weeks for the 'working man'. :mrgreen:

Epitaph
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Give an inch ... & take a mile (RANT)

Post by Epitaph » Fri May 11, 2007 1:16 am

bobo the clown wrote: Go on, seriously ... on a hot day do you honestly say "phew, what a scorcher ... must be at least 21 degrees !!"
I say that!

Henrik's fan club
Henrik
Henrik

Post by Henrik's fan club » Fri May 11, 2007 1:25 am

Well we've been taught it throughout school, these owd gits are like Abe Simpson

"The metric system is the tool of the devil! My car gets forty rods to the hogshead and that's the way I likes it."
Who needs Henry when we've got Henrik?

Free the T-W two!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 11, 2007 7:04 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You've no chance of the europeans accepting english. I should know, I work for the bloody EU. Just to work for them you are supposed to speak several languages despite the fact you never use them for work. They then bring in a new law saying you have to speak more of them.
Then I hope you like this, AT.

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the bloody war."

:wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Fri May 11, 2007 7:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:You've no chance of the europeans accepting english. I should know, I work for the bloody EU. Just to work for them you are supposed to speak several languages despite the fact you never use them for work. They then bring in a new law saying you have to speak more of them.
Then I hope you like this, AT.

Allegedly, a Pan Am 727 flight waiting for start clearance in Munich overheard the following:
Lufthansa (in German): "Ground, what is our start clearance time?"
Ground (in English): "If you want an answer you must speak in English."
Lufthansa (in English): "I am a German, flying a German airplane, in Germany. Why must I speak English?"
Unknown voice from another plane (in a beautiful British accent): "Because you lost the bloody war."

:wink:
And a really good day is now complete!

:pray:
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

H. Pedersen
Passionate
Passionate

Post by H. Pedersen » Fri May 11, 2007 7:40 pm

americantrotter wrote:
LOL Yep, the same bastards who are poor and could benefit from social programs but vote against them. Mainly because they've been brain washed into believing that welfare is evil and that they are self sufficient.
You could sell the dirt farm under their feet to China, as long as you let them hang the 10 Commandments in the courthouse they won't notice.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri May 11, 2007 8:40 pm

H. Pedersen wrote:
americantrotter wrote:
You could sell the dirt farm under their feet to China, as long as you let them hang the 10 Commandments in the courthouse they won't notice.
are they a black Motown group?

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Fri May 11, 2007 8:50 pm

good one commie. :D

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 am

Oh ... & by the way ... when you've been at your senior school for 4 years ... YOU'RE IN THE FCKG 4TH YEAR not "year 27" or something.

The people who change things for no reason are tossers.

... or wankers.

... or self abusers.

... or onanists.

... or .................................
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Sun May 13, 2007 12:03 pm

Calm down dear.

Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal

Post by bobo the clown » Sun May 13, 2007 8:15 pm

Nozza wrote:Calm down dear.

Won't.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue May 15, 2007 10:35 am

bobo the clown wrote:Oh ... & by the way ... when you've been at your senior school for 4 years ... YOU'RE IN THE FCKG 4TH YEAR not "year 27" or something.

... or wankers.

... or self abusers.

... or onanists.

Spot on bobo. All my teacher mates keep going on about their year 9 or 12 or summat. I havent a clue what theyre on about.

Gravedigger
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Gravedigger » Tue May 15, 2007 11:51 am

Dujon wrote:Get over it, Bobo.

Unless you are lacking some cells between your hammers and anvils - and your general postings indicate that you don't - it takes little time to convert your full complement to the new systems. History and tradition is great and things such as £sd were quite obviously designed to exercise the minds of youngsters. Perhaps we can still teach such a mish-mash of systems to our children so that we can laugh at them (a bit like teaching Latin). We use the decimal system in counting; we are even clever enough to recognise zero as a reference point.

4 farthings or two half-pennies to a penny; 12 pennies to a shilling; 2 shillings to a florin; 25 pennies to a half-crown; 50 pennies to a crown; 20 shillings to a pound; 21 shillings to a guinea. No wonder people look strangely at us - and that's only our currency. Inches, feet, yards, rods, perches, roods, acres, furlongs, chains - sheesh! 5280 feet (each of 12 inches) to a mile or, alternatively, 1760 yards. There's no real sense in all those 'historical' measurements. 16 ounces to a pound? Then there's the hundredweight (which is 112 lb). ? . At least the Americans had the sense to have 100 lb to a hundredweight. They then stuffed that up by having 2000 lb to a ton (the short ton). Then we have the displacement ton (35 cubic feet of salt water) and the ton which refers to the internal capacity of ships - I can't recall its name, if it's got one - which refers to 100 cubic feet.

What a shemozzle.

Standard metric for me (if you hadn't already gathered).
Shouldn't that be 30 pennies to a half crown? I'm like Dujon everything in metric then I'm asked to climb out to 4000 feet. No wonder I'm confused 8)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make up its own mind.

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Tue May 15, 2007 11:54 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:Oh ... & by the way ... when you've been at your senior school for 4 years ... YOU'RE IN THE FCKG 4TH YEAR not "year 27" or something.

... or wankers.

... or self abusers.

... or onanists.

Spot on bobo. All my teacher mates keep going on about their year 9 or 12 or summat. I havent a clue what theyre on about.
Yes, but it makes the kids feel as if they've been at school for longer and consequently makes them more miserable.

Surely this is a good thing.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue May 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Must be copying America. 12th grade and all that.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Tue May 15, 2007 11:40 pm

Gravedigger wrote:
Shouldn't that be 30 pennies to a half crown? I'm like Dujon everything in metric then I'm asked to climb out to 4000 feet. No wonder I'm confused 8)
Indeed. There's 60 pence in a crown too.

:wall:

I've been brainwashed, G.D. :lmfao:

:help: