Your greatest (and lowest) sporting moment?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Your greatest (and lowest) sporting moment?

Post by Verbal » Fri May 25, 2007 11:31 am

Right then, since we've been talking about the occasions when people better and more famous than you ran rings around ye, how about the moments when you were, as they say, atop of the world in the sporting sense?

For me, would have to be the Great Britain v NZ Rugby League test match at the Reebok in 1999 ( I think). I was in one of the teams that was in the 'curtain raiser game'. Was feckin mint walking into the players bit, bumping into Andy Farrell, walking out the tunnel actually ready to play :mrgreen:. During the game, I managed to injure one of their players with an instinctive high tackle, as well as make a try saving one in the last minute to win the game. It didn't matter that the stadium was less than half full and I was only 11, but we won! :D

Lowest, probably scoring the golden own goal that knocked Plodder Lane CP out of the schools cup in extra time the same year. Not nice :(
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Nozza
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Nozza » Fri May 25, 2007 11:34 am

Highest - Scoring the winning runs to help my school win the NE Schools Cup. It doesn't matter that it was a misfield at mid-off. I scored 4 to win the match. Ha'way ya fcuker!

Lowest - 9 years today.

Niall Quinn wrote:"Fans epitmoise a clubs spirit. We're nothing without the fans.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Your greatest (and lowest) sporting moment?

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 25, 2007 11:37 am

Verbal wrote:Right then, since we've been talking about the occasions when people better and more famous than you ran rings around ye, how about the moments when you were, as they say, atop of the world in the sporting sense?

For me, would have to be the Great Britain v NZ Rugby League test match at the Reebok in 1999 ( I think). I was in one of the teams that was in the 'curtain raiser game'. Was feckin mint walking into the players bit, bumping into Andy Farrell, walking out the tunnel actually ready to play :mrgreen:. During the game, I managed to injure one of their players with an instinctive high tackle, as well as make a try saving one in the last minute to win the game. It didn't matter that the stadium was less than half full and I was only 11, but we won! :D

Lowest, probably scoring the golden own goal that knocked Plodder Lane CP out of the schools cup in extra time the same year. Not nice :(
Played against the Thai national u18's in the umbro tournament when I was 15, we won 4-3 and I bagged the 2nd, 3rd and 4th from midfield. One of the best games I ever had

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri May 25, 2007 11:55 am

i broke our school's triple jump record in year 8 (as far as i know i still have it) but when i went to compete in the Bolton schools' tournament everyone were like a foot taller than me and i got pasted, only recorded one jump and it were shit. greatest and worst within 2 weeks of each other

chris
Reliable
Reliable

Post by chris » Fri May 25, 2007 12:03 pm

Best: None. I'm rubbish at actually playing sport. :cry:

Worst: I once scored two own goals in a single game in Games at school. I also never scored for my team in five years of Games lessons :oops: .
'Far away, there in the sunshine are my aspirations. I may not reach them, but I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them and try to follow where they may lead.' (Louisa May Alcott)

Dr.Karl
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Dr.Karl » Fri May 25, 2007 12:07 pm

I was part of the school badminton(hardcore :)) team, won the schools league a couple years in a row.

Worst was dropping a catch against our arch rivals during the innings and they went on to win with 1 wicket. IIRC they got to the national finals that year in another competition.
An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind - Gandhi

A cynic is man who knows the price of everything but the value of nothing - Wilde

I have a fax in my pocket - Gartside

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Fri May 25, 2007 12:38 pm

My tackle 'escaped' from my shorts when I was leading the 200 metres in an inter-schools athletics competition.

Needless to say, I finished last being more concerned about my accidental indiscretion than winning.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 25, 2007 12:59 pm

ratbert wrote:My tackle 'escaped' from my shorts when I was leading the 200 metres in an inter-schools athletics competition.

Needless to say, I finished last being more concerned about my accidental indiscretion than winning.
Were you embarassed about something? :wink:

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Fri May 25, 2007 1:04 pm

ratbert wrote:My tackle 'escaped' from my shorts when I was leading the 200 metres in an inter-schools athletics competition.

Just be glad it wasn't the relay :wink2:

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Fri May 25, 2007 1:36 pm

I broke the 100m hurdles school record whilst in the 3rd year at Joseph Easthams. The record still stands, from 1979!!

Playing in a schools cup semi final, the ball was curled over from the right wing as I ran 30 yards, dropped a shoulder and launched a screaming left footed volley into the top corner. " Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed, "Jesus Christ, what a goal" screamed my old fella. "Offside" shouted the referee. Bastard.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 25, 2007 1:51 pm

Bijou Bob wrote:I broke the 100m hurdles school record whilst in the 3rd year at Joseph Easthams. The record still stands, from 1979!!

Playing in a schools cup semi final, the ball was curled over from the right wing as I ran 30 yards, dropped a shoulder and launched a screaming left footed volley into the top corner. " Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" I screamed, "Jesus Christ, what a goal" screamed my old fella. "Offside" shouted the referee. Bastard.
My old man went to Joey's just merged with Hulton High to become 'Harrop Fold' still shit! :mrgreen:

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri May 25, 2007 2:16 pm

Best - a tie between scoring from the halfway line with my weaker left foot against Stretford Vics in the Under 11's, and making a late try-saving tackle to win the Wigan Schools RL Cup for the fourth year in succession in fourth year High School.

Worst - playing in a half-time penalty shoot out at Craven Cottage at the Fulham-Leigh RMI FA Cup tie and 'doing a Waddle'
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 25, 2007 2:29 pm

Dr.Karl wrote:I was part of the school badminton(hardcore :)) team, won the schools league a couple years in a row.

Worst was dropping a catch against our arch rivals during the innings and they went on to win with 1 wicket. IIRC they got to the national finals that year in another competition.
Badminton's changed since I last played it! :wink:

Best: The goal I scored at the old Wembley didn't count as it was an illegal game. So I'll nominate playing at the Emirates recently, although there were no individual moments to savour from a Pedersen-style enforced left-back :evil:
Worst: Playing for Walmersley Wanderers at 14, getting beaten 35-0. A fortnight later we played the same team and they beat us 37-0, but by that point I'd reassessed our goals... by the end of the season we managed to draw a game 3-3!

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri May 25, 2007 2:42 pm

Best: Our ladies darts team winning the league and every trophy competition we entered last season - Top Arrows. We got verrrrry drunk that presentation night.
:twisted:

Worst: Losing every game we played in a netball tournament last year in Swindon but the whole weekend was just sooooo good that we didn't care a bit.

8)
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri May 25, 2007 2:43 pm

Best moment: having just turned 17, captaining my college basketball side in the U19 Welsh National Championships (went college in wales :shock: ). We came within 1 minute of being national champs against a significantly bigger team full of international players. We won every match to the final bar 1.

Worst: Fracturing my 5th metatarsal and buggering up the ligaments in my ankle completing a home run in a softball tournament. Wasn't all bad though, was told to stay at home by work and it was just in time for the final ashes test (the one we won :D )

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 25, 2007 3:15 pm

Best.

Bowling out the Lancashire Boys captain first ball, in a house match at Bolton Tech, then going on to dismiss the whole side bar one in two overs for seven runs. I went into bat and knocked two fours to win the match and be the hero of the hour. :mrgreen:

Worst. TW Open 2006. I'm still smarting from how much crap I played. Twill be a little different this time methinks. :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri May 25, 2007 3:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Best.

Bowling out the Lancashire Boys captain first ball, in a house match at Bolton Tech, then going on to dismiss the whole side bar one in two overs for seven runs. I went into bat and knocked two fours to win the match and be the hero of the hour. :mrgreen:

Worst. TW Open 2006. I'm still smarting from how much crap I played. Twill be a little different this time methinks. :twisted:
I'd blame the wooden clubs you persist on using because 'they served you well in the day' :mrgreen:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 25, 2007 3:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Best.

I'd blame the wooden clubs you persist on using because 'they served you well in the day' :mrgreen:
Wish I could. The woods are actually McGregor metals. Bit on the small side though, alongside Commie's, which look like cycle helmets on sticks. There should be a law against em. :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri May 25, 2007 4:19 pm

best: 30 yard lob for my team a couple of years ago, class goal. or scoring the first pen in a shoot out when 3 players from each side had already missed (we won the shootout).
worst: air kicking when i had the opportunity to turn a draw into a victory that would of won us the league...we didnt win the league

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri May 25, 2007 7:07 pm

Best: Well that's a dead heat between scoring a late winner in the 1977 BEN Cup semi-final for High Lawn against Brandwood St, and chipping straight in from around 30 metres on the the 3rd at Gleneagles. :D

Worst: Springing a collarbone after a mid-air collision going up for a header away at Euxton about 10 years ago. I didn't know that such pain existed! :cry:
May the bridges I burn light your way