Sex Education

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Sex Education

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:26 am

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6755247.stm

kids in a sexual health crisis, UK with the worst teenage pregnancy and sexual infection problems in Europe.

Now as it raised it's head yesterday and I was mid response when the thread was locked, this is rather timely. Kids are hit on all sides by influences in the media and culture in general. There are TV ads which have a sexual content way beyond what may be in a banned avatar. Pandora's box is open, there's no changing that, so the one real option that is left is education.

Parents, schools and the Governments need to empower kids with knowledge about sex, not just the mechanics but the emotional side, the consequences and contraception - not least of all abstinence. The flaw of all education, other than it's lack, is that it doesn't teach responsibility or that sex if fun and enjoyable but that is best when the emotional and physical maturity are there to appreciate the act and the connection with the partner.

Pretending sex isn't there only leaves kids to be influenced without any balance. They'll see it on TV, the papers, adverts, the internet, magazines and the usual untruths from their friends. There's only one two ways to avoid this, the first is to lock them away from the outside world until they're 16 (I dare say some would condone that), the other is to educate them so that the understand sex and all it's facets and can make the educated, sensible choice and either not engage in it or do so responsibly and protect themselves.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:55 am

I tell yer what these prudes need, a damn good shaggin

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jun 15, 2007 8:58 am

I think in many cases they're already quite aware of the consequences and dont give a toss.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:40 am

The question is then, "why don't they care about the consequences?"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:45 am

communistworkethic wrote:The question is then, "why don't they care about the consequences?"
gf has two friends. one of them is moving to sheffield to be a teacher. she'll live there for 3 months without earning money and have to pay rent. she'll have to make new friends. she's working in the academy so a tough first assignment. but she has a career. might struggle to make ends meet til she's about 30 but the future looks healthy.

her other friend got pregnant just over a year ago. she has fallen out with the dad who will move back to albania. burnley council has given this friend a house. she will pay £5 a week rent for this house. she will also get her grocerys and bills paid for.

:conf:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 am

but isn't that down to a lack of self-respect? Isn't that what is instilled within a nuturing family.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:18 am

communistworkethic wrote:but isn't that down to a lack of self-respect? Isn't that what is instilled within a nuturing family.
and you've just answered your question i believe

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:21 am

well no - it's my first posts whole point - it's down to educating around the whole concept.

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:58 am

I don't disagree with your points at all. i'm just saying that currently the consequences don't appear to be too shitty for early pregnancies in comparison with say actually getting a career.

the current emerging generation want things put in front of them. they want absolutely everything and they want it right now, 24/7. and preferably have to do feck all to get it.

I'm only 24 but I've been instilled with the concept that i am going to provide better than my parents have done for me. my parents came from relatively poor families and have grown up to get respectable, reasonably paid jobs. their aim for me was for me to do better than them, which i am currently in a position to do - and likewise i would then aim for my kids to do better than me.

the next gen lot need to be able to put the sex that they see on tv and web etc and be able to put it into context of real life. they need to understand that what they see via these mediums - which arguably they'll trust more - and that this doesn't demonstrate consequences effectively. i think trust plays a massive part in it. why listen to a teacher when you can see that nice welsh bird off big bro getting right royally shagged from behind on youtube.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 15, 2007 11:06 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:I don't disagree with your points at all. i'm just saying that currently the consequences don't appear to be too shitty for early pregnancies in comparison with say actually getting a career.

the current emerging generation want things put in front of them. they want absolutely everything and they want it right now, 24/7. and preferably have to do feck all to get it.

I'm only 24 but I've been instilled with the concept that i am going to provide better than my parents have done for me. my parents came from relatively poor families and have grown up to get respectable, reasonably paid jobs. their aim for me was for me to do better than them, which i am currently in a position to do - and likewise i would then aim for my kids to do better than me.

the next gen lot need to be able to put the sex that they see on tv and web etc and be able to put it into context of real life. they need to understand that what they see via these mediums - which arguably they'll trust more - and that this doesn't demonstrate consequences effectively. i think trust plays a massive part in it. why listen to a teacher when you can see that nice welsh bird off big bro getting right royally shagged from behind on youtube.
Link?? :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:04 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:you can see that nice welsh bird
Is she called Taff Tavitt? :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way

laydeeAmz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: Sex Education

Post by laydeeAmz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:40 am

communistworkethic wrote:http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6755247.stm

kids in a sexual health crisis, UK with the worst teenage pregnancy and sexual infection problems in Europe.

Now as it raised it's head yesterday and I was mid response when the thread was locked, this is rather timely. Kids are hit on all sides by influences in the media and culture in general. There are TV ads which have a sexual content way beyond what may be in a banned avatar. Pandora's box is open, there's no changing that, so the one real option that is left is education.

Parents, schools and the Governments need to empower kids with knowledge about sex, not just the mechanics but the emotional side, the consequences and contraception - not least of all abstinence. The flaw of all education, other than it's lack, is that it doesn't teach responsibility or that sex if fun and enjoyable but that is best when the emotional and physical maturity are there to appreciate the act and the connection with the partner.

Pretending sex isn't there only leaves kids to be influenced without any balance. They'll see it on TV, the papers, adverts, the internet, magazines and the usual untruths from their friends. There's only one two ways to avoid this, the first is to lock them away from the outside world until they're 16 (I dare say some would condone that), the other is to educate them so that the understand sex and all it's facets and can make the educated, sensible choice and either not engage in it or do so responsibly and protect themselves.
i reckon sex education at skools a bit on an insult tbh.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:42 am

But clearly not as much as the Engish is.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:40 am

Teenage mums have a lot of time on their hands, judging from recent site evidence.

laydeeAmz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by laydeeAmz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:44 am

Batman wrote:Teenage mums have a lot of time on their hands, judging from recent site evidence.
How u mean?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:46 am

A proliferation,

I live in Preston, and a often mentioned fact is that as a town we have the highest proportion of teengage mums in the country.

Little scrubbers every one.

laydeeAmz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by laydeeAmz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:47 am

Batman wrote:A proliferation,

I live in Preston, and a often mentioned fact is that as a town we have the highest proportion of teengage mums in the country.

Little scrubbers every one.
so u know every 1?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:49 am

Not personally, but I bet most of the lads in town do.

laydeeAmz
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by laydeeAmz » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:50 am

Batman wrote:Not personally, but I bet most of the lads in town do.
so u cant reli say that if u dont know them then.

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 2:50 am

I'm confident in my judgement.

I blame the parents.