Glastonbury

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Glastonbury

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:50 pm

Anyone going? Anyone like it? Anyone hate it?

I'm going, for the first time, because I'm working. Yep, 10am-8pm in a portakabin, doing the free daily newspaper. (If you are going, I hope it's absorbent.) Never really fancied it (or any other festival) before, but you gotta follow the dollar dollar bill y'all...

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:59 pm

Went in '94. You're in for one hell of an experience. :D
Businesswoman of the year.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:03 pm

Yeah, my one and only ever Glasto was in 2003 and was undoubtedly the best festival line-up i've ever seen on these shores in my lifetime. Yes, Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Mogwai, Doves, Grandaddy, Nada Surf, Flaming Lips, the Streets, REM.

It was a great time, only rained during Nada Surf on the first day (gutted) and from then on out it was brilliant.

It's a bit of a shame how it's gone now, it's virtually impossible to get a ticket, going to Festivals - even shit tips like Leeds, Reading, the V fest, Tinthepark - seems like the done thing and sell-out each year without fail.

Some of the food stands are ok if you can find them, it takes a heck lot of navigation.

I'm not really envious of people going to Festivals in the UK anymore because the line-ups don't do much for me anymore - I haven't seen a good Glasto line-up since 03. Muse, White Stripes? who are you Kidding, only the idiots.

The only one that really grinds my gears is the All Tomorrows Parties festival down south which I can never organise with my friends to get to.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:17 pm

You tried any of the proliferating smaller festivals springing up as an antidote to the perceived corporateness, Dr H? If I recall correctly, you're in a band - may be worth punting some of them to see if they need a slot filling, so to speak...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:You tried any of the proliferating smaller festivals springing up as an antidote to the perceived corporateness, Dr H? If I recall correctly, you're in a band - may be worth punting some of them to see if they need a slot filling, so to speak...
Going to Glastonbury's a bit of a Grail quest apparently. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:30 pm

It all depends on how our album is received in August and how many units we shift. We could be up for one or two next summer, it all depends really. We're not gonna ask though, people need to ask us, we're too proud to beg. Haha.

Unless you really know the promoters of some small festivals in the Uk - like Supersonic in Birmingham - then the chances of you getting the on the bill are small.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:54 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:It all depends on how our album is received in August and how many units we shift. We could be up for one or two next summer, it all depends really. We're not gonna ask though, people need to ask us, we're too proud to beg. Haha.

Unless you really know the promoters of some small festivals in the Uk - like Supersonic in Birmingham - then the chances of you getting the on the bill are small.
Units? You've changed, maaan, it used to be about the music... :wink:

(PS tango - i'm ignoring that. Although while we were out camping last weekend, I did happen across the Castle of the Swamp King)

Marshall
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Marshall » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:05 pm

I'll be going down this year. First time for me, not too sure what to expect, and have been told to expect the unexpected.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:14 pm

haha, I said 'units' to seek out that very reaction. It is all about the music, heck we're coming pretty close to booking flights out to Boston again to record our second album in December. I'm all about the music, hence the 'wont beg' comment, if something comes our way we'll take it, if not we're not gonna lose any sleep over it.

But yeah, Glasto is probably the best UK outdoor festival going.

V is too civilised, Leeds/Reading full of twunts, Tinthepark full of English twunts trying to 'get away from it all' by dressing in tartan hats with ginger wigs sewn in. It's all a load of codswallop. I'm too cynical.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:19 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote: (PS tango - i'm ignoring that. Although while we were out camping last weekend, I did happen across the Castle of the Swamp King)
Pretty good in bow and arrow days but an exocet would probably knock it down in one, these days. Love history and saw that on a series of British Castles on TV. Glastonbury has a fascinating history. Ah well, back to hippies and stuff. :mrgreen:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:20 pm

went in 2003, didn't have a dump for 3 days

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:39 pm

went to Glasto in 98 and 99. THe 2 wettest years ever. Enjoyed it the 2st year, but the 2nd year was a bit same-y.

I have bene to Elelctric Picnic in Ireland the last 2 years and have a ticket againt his year. Its like a small version of Glasto. Oxegen is the big festival in Ireland with the best bands, but all the scumdogs of the world go to it!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:57 pm

Don't know much about Irish groups these days. Get beyond Clanhad, Hothouse Flowers and The Corrs and I'm lost. :(

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Mon Jun 18, 2007 4:44 pm

I went in 1984 when it was still relatively small. I really enjoyed it, scorching hot all weekend. A little too commercial now I think, but then again most concerts are these days.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:04 pm

I was at Phoenix Festival in around 1997. As a corporate sponsor (I know, I know :oops: ) I was camped in the VIP area, and it was still the closest that I've ever come to absolute, unbridled squalor.
Still, it was worth it just to see the Sex Pistols. (I'll put that again in case Cowdrill's speed-reading) I say, it was worth it just to see the Sex Pistols. :wink:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:14 pm

Don't they use the free papers as bog roll?

I wouldn't write about anything too deep, about 5 pages of A4 should do it

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:17 pm

I have a mate who goes every year, he loves it. But I don't think it would be my cup of tea. It looks way too crowded for my liking and the queues to have a dump would do my head in. And people nick things from your tent, etc.

But enjoy the experience.

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:22 pm

My mate goes, pays his 150 quid and then proceeds to take pills night and day and then doesn't see any of the bands and comes home and cannot remember any of it.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:26 pm

Batman wrote:My mate goes, pays his 150 quid and then proceeds to take pills night and day and then doesn't see any of the bands and comes home and cannot remember any of it.
Is this the sort of person you should be hanging around with and calling a 'friend'?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jun 18, 2007 7:47 pm

Mich Caine wrote:I have a mate.
Bollocks!
May the bridges I burn light your way