Sports you hate

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:17 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:the ice hockey argument is not the view of the sport iteself as a puck was not used

don't know who abner wotsit is - I referred to Alexander Cartwright.

nobody really cares if they're played elsewhere, the practice is so miniscule in most cases as to be irrelevant. They're still American games and the fascination with them is lost on the majority of the world
Certainly hockey was originally played with a ball - and the puck, which moved along the ice better, came later - but we don't date it from the introduction of the puck. However, the puck predated the NHL. Games evolve but whoever wrote the latest rules cannot claim to have invented the game. Similarly in curling the Scots chucked any flat rock along the ice for centuries, although now the stones must be standard.

Alexander Cartwright codified a set or rules for a game in the mid-Nineteenth Century that had been popular in the US for decades. I think a claim could be made that he invented the baseball diamond, i.e. gave standards for the interior playing field. Until then the game had been played with local rules that varied no doubt with the terrain and the temperament of the people. Modern rules are based on the Cartwright rules. The analogy I would make is that football is played under Football Association rules, but the FA did not invent the game. It was played in some chaotic form or other long before the FA - sufficiently chaotic that some Salford kid handled the ball and started a new game.

Abner Whatsit was a union general who lost Fort Sumpter to start the US Civil War. It was alleged that he invented baseball in 1839 (some years before Cartwright). It was supposed to be in a cow pasture in Coopertown NY, where baseball now has its Hall of Fame. This attribution is almost certainly nonsense.

I guess what I'm saying is that these games evolve from popular amateur pastimes and are later codified. They are not really invented as such.

As for no one caring - well, you don't care but others may do. You might even find that hockey is more of a spectator sport in Russia or Finland than football is.
What is this? An essay? Jesus Christ I ain't got time to read all that.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:19 pm

americantrotter wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
americantrotter wrote:Basketball is played all over the world. The best teams happen to be South American and European. Check out the latest World Championships and Olympics for a lesson.
only at intentaional level as you boys don't take it seriously except when suddenly Nike spunk millions over the olympic team and you're bringing in Bird, Jordan, Pippin etc
There is one game played by the majority of the world, football. It's pretty easy to use world participation sitting from that lofty position.
almost by definition. What the rest of that statement actually means or what relevance it has, I'm not sure.
LOL Reebok sponsored the USA kit in 92. Truthfully the US were just tired of letting the college kids get waxed by adults. Was stupid really as the pros don;t care and the World are now better at the TEAM aspects of the game.
I understand that after football, basketball is the most popular game in the world - the second sport behind football in many countries and number one in Lithuania. While I find it boring, suggesting it is purely American in appeal is wrong.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:26 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
americantrotter wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:
americantrotter wrote:Basketball is played all over the world. The best teams happen to be South American and European. Check out the latest World Championships and Olympics for a lesson.
only at intentaional level as you boys don't take it seriously except when suddenly Nike spunk millions over the olympic team and you're bringing in Bird, Jordan, Pippin etc
There is one game played by the majority of the world, football. It's pretty easy to use world participation sitting from that lofty position.
almost by definition. What the rest of that statement actually means or what relevance it has, I'm not sure.
LOL Reebok sponsored the USA kit in 92. Truthfully the US were just tired of letting the college kids get waxed by adults. Was stupid really as the pros don;t care and the World are now better at the TEAM aspects of the game.
I understand that after football, basketball is the most popular game in the world - the second sport behind football in many countries and number one in Lithuania. While I find it boring, suggesting it is purely American in appeal is wrong.
Your argument is based on its Lithuania's national sport. Sweet baby Jesus, I can't believe what I am reading here.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:32 pm

in spite of you stealing from the phoenix nights script, sometimes micth you are mildly amusing in an intenional rather than pitying way

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:41 pm

communistworkethic wrote:in spite of you stealing from the phoenix nights script, sometimes micth you are mildly amusing in an intenional rather than pitying way
I have never seen phoenix nights believe it or not. Its funny but I didn't think you liked me here.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:47 pm

i don't generally but just when I was about to send the boys round to durham's burger king, you caused a wee smirk. (and as you're in the NE I don't mean having a quick cigarette)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:51 pm

If you're all quite finished bickering, perhaps you could answer me this;

Is it possible for a TV station to show 'Basketball Highlights'?
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If you're all quite finished bickering, perhaps you could answer me this;

Yep! They cut to adverts

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:55 pm

Mich Caine wrote: Your argument is based on its Lithuania's national sport. Sweet baby Jesus, I can't believe what I am reading here.
No. Mich, I'm not arguing at all- just exchanging views. I put Lithuania in because it struck me as mildly amusing. Football is the most popular sport in the world but it doesn't mean that other sports are not entertaining or worth following. Table tennis is the most popular spectator sport in China, I believe, but I can't say I follow it with any interest. When you come to Montreal I'll take you to a hockey game and you'll love it - wait, I forgot, you said you'd never come here. Pity.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:56 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:If you're all quite finished bickering, perhaps you could answer me this;

They do - over here it is an endless series of three pointers and jams, which afford an opportunity to get another beer.

cowdrill
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by cowdrill » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:17 pm

Mich Caine wrote: Lets not joke about this. I make Mr T look like Walter from The Beano.

CAPSLOCK
Icon
Icon

Post by CAPSLOCK » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:39 pm

boltonboris wrote:

Yep! They cut to adverts

:lol: :lol:
Sto ut Serviam

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:30 am

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Mich Caine wrote: Your argument is based on its Lithuania's national sport. Sweet baby Jesus, I can't believe what I am reading here.
No. Mich, I'm not arguing at all- just exchanging views. I put Lithuania in because it struck me as mildly amusing. Football is the most popular sport in the world but it doesn't mean that other sports are not entertaining or worth following. Table tennis is the most popular spectator sport in China, I believe, but I can't say I follow it with any interest. When you come to Montreal I'll take you to a hockey game and you'll love it - wait, I forgot, you said you'd never come here. Pity.
Stereotype anybody? I think you'll find its.... Football

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:46 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
No, I'm not using stereotypes - just what I took of wiki - it could be wrong which is why I said I "believe" rather than asserting the fact.
# People's Republic of China - Table tennis is the national and most popular sport but basketball and football are close second.[14]

* Hong Kong - Horse racing is the most popular while Dragon boat racing, badminton, windsurfing, rugby,Cricket and football are also popular.[15]
They cite this as one of the sources:
Speech on the Ceremony of Handing-over of a Table Tennis Table to Don Bosco Technical School
2004/04/06

Your Honorable, Lady Carol Kidu, Minister for Welfare and Social Development,

Rector, Father Albert Lenon,

Principal, Father. Jess Escala,

Teachers,

Dear Students,

Ladies and Gentlemen:

It gives me great pleasure to present a table tennis table to Don Bosco Technical School. The staff and the students must be grateful to Lady Kidu. It was her who asked me to give you a cement table tennis table first. But after my staff saw your beautiful hall, I decided to give you a better quality table. So I requested my colleagues in our Foreign Ministry in Beijing to buy a top quality table tennis table and had it shipped from several thousand miles away to your school.

{major snip of blah blah blah}

Table tennis has become the national sport of China. It is the most popular sport in my country, especially in schools. China is now called the kingdom of table tennis. As early as in 1959, a Chinese table tennis player named Rong Guotuan won China the first Table Tennis Man's Single championship. This was a great inspiration to the whole Chinese nation. By the year 2002, the fiftieth anniversary of the setting up of the Chinese National Table Tennis Team, it has won 125 world championship titles, wrapping up all the table tennis gold medals three times at the World Cups and twice at the Olympic Games. Just in last month, at the 47th World Table Tennis Championships held in Doha, Qatar, the Chinese men's team took home for the 14th time the Swaythling Cup and the women's team for the 15th time the Corbillion Cup.
What is your source for asserting football? Canadians don't believe in stereotypes by the way, - we always come out looking boring.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:58 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
boltonboris wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
No, I'm not using stereotypes - just what I took of wiki - it could be wrong which is why I said I "believe" rather than asserting the fact.
# People's Republic of China - Table tennis is the national and most popular sport but basketball and football are close second.[14]

* Hong Kong - Horse racing is the most popular while Dragon boat racing, badminton, windsurfing, rugby,Cricket and football are also popular.[15]
They cite this as one of the sources:
Speech on the Ceremony of Handing-over of a Table Tennis Table to Don Bosco Technical School
2004/04/06

Your Honorable, Lady Carol Kidu, Minister for Welfare and Social Development,

Rector, Father Albert Lenon,

Principal, Father. Jess Escala,

Teachers,

Dear Students,

Ladies and Gentlemen:

It gives me great pleasure to present a table tennis table to Don Bosco Technical School. The staff and the students must be grateful to Lady Kidu. It was her who asked me to give you a cement table tennis table first. But after my staff saw your beautiful hall, I decided to give you a better quality table. So I requested my colleagues in our Foreign Ministry in Beijing to buy a top quality table tennis table and had it shipped from several thousand miles away to your school.

{major snip of blah blah blah}

Table tennis has become the national sport of China. It is the most popular sport in my country, especially in schools. China is now called the kingdom of table tennis. As early as in 1959, a Chinese table tennis player named Rong Guotuan won China the first Table Tennis Man's Single championship. This was a great inspiration to the whole Chinese nation. By the year 2002, the fiftieth anniversary of the setting up of the Chinese National Table Tennis Team, it has won 125 world championship titles, wrapping up all the table tennis gold medals three times at the World Cups and twice at the Olympic Games. Just in last month, at the 47th World Table Tennis Championships held in Doha, Qatar, the Chinese men's team took home for the 14th time the Swaythling Cup and the women's team for the 15th time the Corbillion Cup.
What is your source for asserting football? Canadians don't believe in stereotypes by the way, - we always come out looking boring.

I know it won't appeal to most of you, but Zulu, Bobo and I went to a 'Don Bosco' school!
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:24 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:

I know it won't appeal to most of you, but Zulu, Bobo and I went to a 'Don Bosco' school!
Gosh - did you play table tennis?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:46 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

Er, wasn't Blessed Don Bosco (full title, won't say full-monty) Spanish? Not a big ping pong nationn as I recall. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:47 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
enfieldwhite wrote:

Er, wasn't Blessed Don Bosco (full title, won't say full-monty) Spanish? Not a big ping pong nationn as I recall. :wink:
Italian, actually. Don Giovanni Bosco.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote: * Hong Kong - Horse racing is the most popular while Dragon boat racing.......
While what? :shock:
May the bridges I burn light your way

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote: * Hong Kong - Horse racing is the most popular while Dragon boat racing.......
While what? :shock:
On board the HMS Mother in law.
Businesswoman of the year.