You can't fool people from Toronto...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

You can't fool people from Toronto...

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:35 pm

...or can you?
LONDON, England (Reuters) -- Teacher Dave Barclay flew thousands of miles across the Atlantic to Wales to attend his friend's wedding, only to discover he was a year early.

Barclay, 34, was told about the wedding earlier in the year and assumed it was to take place in 2007.

It was only when he had flown into Cardiff from Toronto, Canada, and rang the bridegroom seeking details of the venue that he discovered the wedding was in 2008.

"I am a year early -- yeah, my mates are loving it, aren't they," he told BBC Radio Wales.

The groom, Dave Best, had emailed his friend at the start of the year.

"He just said July the 6th and I assumed it was this year because if you tell the guy July 6th, they're going to think it's this year," Barclay said.

Barclay, who has been teaching in Toronto for three years spent £500 ($1,015) on his premature flight.

"At least it's assured me a mention in the speech next year," he added.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Batman

Post by Batman » Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:41 pm

Read this the other day.

What a dick

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:47 pm

It did give me a chuckle. :)
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:40 pm

I heard about this, too. However, I usually find that being invited to a wedding tends to be confirmed by way of invite. As such, regardless of what day, or even year, the wedding was going to take place on, he hadn't been invited in the first place. Tit!
May the bridges I burn light your way

wovlad
Promising
Promising
Location: Underneath the squeaky floorboard, behind the kitchen dresser

Post by wovlad » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:59 am

Have to say something similar happened to me. Only I had confirmation it was the right date. Trouble was I went travelling for 4-5 months before I arrived in Perth. In the interim the wedding was put back a year!!!. So I arrived in Perth 13 months early for the wedding. Had I know about the change I still would have gone travelling. Only I would have arrived in Perth about 6 months later.

As it was I stayed in Perth for 14 months overstayed my visa & got banned from Oz for 5 years.
If I should die, think only this of me:
That there's some corner of a foreign field
That is for ever England

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:50 pm

wovlad wrote:Have to say something similar happened to me. Only I had confirmation it was the right date. Trouble was I went travelling for 4-5 months before I arrived in Perth. In the interim the wedding was put back a year!!!. So I arrived in Perth 13 months early for the wedding. Had I know about the change I still would have gone travelling. Only I would have arrived in Perth about 6 months later.

As it was I stayed in Perth for 14 months overstayed my visa & got banned from Oz for 5 years.
God - until just before the end I thought you'd been stuck in Scotland for a year. Phewww.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Leonard
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Leonard » Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:20 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
wovlad wrote:Have to say something similar happened to me. Only I had confirmation it was the right date. Trouble was I went travelling for 4-5 months before I arrived in Perth. In the interim the wedding was put back a year!!!. So I arrived in Perth 13 months early for the wedding. Had I know about the change I still would have gone travelling. Only I would have arrived in Perth about 6 months later.

God - until just before the end I thought you'd been stuck in Scotland for a year. Phewww.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Lenny's Trusty Trolley - Unofficially sponsored by www.physioroom.com

AND.... Neville's Barbers on Church Road!!!

AND NOW... Mich's Beefy Burgers!!!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:24 pm

Leonard wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
It's not my day today, Warrington, Scotland, just waiting for Aberdeen to get in the mix.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:33 pm

I once turned up a month too early for a Justin Timberlake concert, does that count??
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:21 pm

Gertie wrote:I once turned up a month too early for a Justin Timberlake concert, does that count??
I'm afraid so. :D

Hey Fatshaft, Aberdeen is a proper dump and all!
Businesswoman of the year.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:17 pm

Gertie wrote:I once turned up a month too early for a Justin Timberlake concert, does that count??
yes, especially given your Toronto connections.