Crap Summer Sports

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Crap Summer Sports

Post by trotter58 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:01 pm

Golf, Tennis, Formula 1, Rugby, Cricket, etc, all have one thing in common. They're crap spectator sports. Isn't it time to alternate the FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships every other year to provide a more suitable buffer between football seasons?

Batman

Post by Batman » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:04 pm

How about a permanent footy season, a year long one - 52 games a year.

Easy

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:15 pm

Batman wrote:How about a permanent footy season, a year long one - 52 games a year.

Easy
The football season pretty much is permanent already. The only problem is that the summer is full of meaningless friendly games. Sepp Blatter proposed holding the World Cup every two years and to be honest it's not a bad idea. How often will we see the World Cup held in England in our lifetime? Once if we're lucky? This way more countries would get to see it more often.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Crap Summer Sports

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:16 pm

trotter58 wrote:Golf, Tennis, Formula 1, Rugby, Cricket, etc, all have one thing in common. They're crap spectator sports. Isn't it time to alternate the FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships every other year to provide a more suitable buffer between football seasons?
Yep. You don't like 'em, so they're all a barrel of shite! Goes without saying! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
trotter58 wrote:Golf, Tennis, Formula 1, Rugby, Cricket, etc, all have one thing in common. They're crap spectator sports. Isn't it time to alternate the FIFA World Cup and UEFA European Championships every other year to provide a more suitable buffer between football seasons?
Yep. You don't like 'em, so they're all a barrel of shite! Goes without saying! :roll:
Aye maybe we should ban em all together - anyone want to suggest burning books as well? :shock:

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:21 pm

I like all those sports listed except rugby.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 15, 2007 7:23 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Aye maybe we should ban em all together - anyone want to suggest burning books as well? :shock:
Well, only books that relate to the sports (or even non-sports, now there's another debate :shock: ) mentioned by trotter58? :conf:

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well, only books that relate to the sports (or even non-sports, now there's another debate :shock: ) mentioned by trotter58? :conf:
Didn't say i wanted to ban them. Didn't even say that they were crap sports. If you haven't got anything remotely interesting to contribute, then go and play elsewhere children.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:03 pm

trotter58 wrote: Didn't even say that they were crap sports.
Sorry. What's the title of your thread, again? :conf:

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:12 pm

Golf, Tennis and Cricket can have their moments, esp. now cricket has the 20/20 format. I must say I take a shine to athletics in the summer. World Championships this year!
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:13 pm

And I think he was referring to them as crap for the spectators, B_R

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:07 pm

Verbal wrote:And I think he was referring to them as crap for the spectators, B_R
Think you're probably right, apart from the fact that the spectators that attend the sports listed would probably disagree. If he means crap for him as a spectator that's his opinion and that's cool. If he means crap for me as a spectator then I disagree - I like watching some of em.

I sorta got confused as to whether I was discussing "crap sports" or whether we should cycle the two National Team comps two instead of four yearly turn-around. I'm not sure the top clubs would be in favour of this as it presents more risk to them (as their players are in intense competition more) with no real benefit. So not sure the Clubs would want it....

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:14 pm

Generally speaking - the more you understand a sport, the more you appreciate it.

And the more you understand, the more you realise that the top level of most sports can be compelling, and the rest can be dire.

Which applies just as much to football as any other game.

Leaving aside Wanderers games - what proportion of PL games are sterile predictable tactical bores - 75%?

And it gets worse year by year as the all the money and best players go to a handful of clubs.

How many games have you on the edge of your seat?

Wimbledon Finals (at least like last week) - Masters golf - Ashes cricket 2 years ago - and plenty other sport are far more entertaining than most PL games.

and then we come to Big Sam's final year.

We had lots of good results last year - otherwise we could not have finished in a UEFA spot - but how many memorable games full of flowing football?

About 5? (Arsenal (2), Liverpool, Spam, Toon away?)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Verbal wrote:And I think he was referring to them as crap for the spectators, B_R
Aye. None of 'em being spectator sports, or owt, V? :conf:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:18 pm

bw@bw wrote:Generally speaking - the more you understand a sport, the more you appreciate it.

And the more you understand, the more you realise that the top level of most sports can be compelling, and the rest can be dire.

Which applies just as much to football as any other game.

Leaving aside Wanderers games - what proportion of PL games are sterile predictable tactical bores - 75%?

And it gets worse year by year as the all the money and best players go to a handful of clubs.

How many games have you on the edge of your seat?

Wimbledon Finals (at least like last week) - Masters golf - Ashes cricket 2 years ago - and plenty other sport are far more entertaining than most PL games.

and then we come to Big Sam's final year.

We had lots of good results last year - otherwise we could not have finished in a UEFA spot - but how many memorable games full of flowing football?

About 5? (Arsenal (2), Liverpool, Spam, Toon away?)
Yeah - makes sense to me Bw :-) and you can have too much of a good thing anyhow - as my hangover today was adequate testament too

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Think you're probably right, apart from the fact that the spectators that attend the sports listed would probably disagree.
Nobody is suggesting that people who like these sports should be prevented from watching them! The fact is that the majority of sports followers in this country are football fans first and foremost. Every other close season we have to put up with inferior sports because UEFA and FIFA only stage their tournaments every four years. Why? They could stage them every alternate season as Sepp Blatter has suggested. Two years between each World Cup is still a long time but it would give more countries the opportunity to stage the event, more people an opportunity to see it and more players the opportunity to play in it. Either that, or we have to suffer the bleak wilderness of summer sport every other year!

Mich Caine

Post by Mich Caine » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:22 pm

trotter58 wrote:
Batman wrote:How about a permanent footy season, a year long one - 52 games a year.

Easy
The football season pretty much is permanent already. The only problem is that the summer is full of meaningless friendly games. Sepp Blatter proposed holding the World Cup every two years and to be honest it's not a bad idea. How often will we see the World Cup held in England in our lifetime? Once if we're lucky? This way more countries would get to see it more often.
That is a great point. The world cup is so amazing and maybe it is made even more amazing as its once every 4 years, but it would still be amazing if it was on every 2 years. But the problem is that you need countries to qualify for it and that would mean you would never have time for the European Championships.
But its true that maybe it will be held in England only once in the next 50 years with it being every 4 years, its a shame that such an amazing event happens so rarely.

I agree summer sports in general are a bore. I love the Tour de France which makes things a bit better as it lasts for three weeks and Wimbledon is always good. But certainly do miss the football in these summers when there is no world cup or Euro championships.

trotter58
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by trotter58 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:28 pm

Mich Caine wrote:The world cup is so amazing and maybe it is made even more amazing as its once every 4 years, but it would still be amazing if it was on every 2 years. But the problem is that you need countries to qualify for it and that would mean you would never have time for the European Championships.
There would be plenty of time for the qualifiers if international friendlies were scrapped and the weaker countries had to pre-qualify to cut down on the size of the groups. Copa America and ACN could be moved to the same year as the European Championships to avoid any clashes with the World Cup.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well he will say summer sports are crap for spectators because he sees himself as the spectator. Like i said I'd happily watch a bit of cricket, tennis or athletics for hours, as I'm sure others may.

bw@bw raises a good point - if you understand a sport you are more likely to appreciate it. Tis probably why I am not a fan of rugby union.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:31 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well he will say summer sports are crap for spectators because he sees himself as the spectator. Like i said I'd happily watch a bit of cricket, tennis or athletics for hours, as I'm sure others may.

bw@bw raises a good point - if you understand a sport you are more likely to appreciate it. Tis probably why I am not a fan of rugby union.