The Official Xbox 360 Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Annoyed Grunt
Legend
Legend

Re: The Official Xbox 360 Thread

Post by Annoyed Grunt » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:34 pm

mrkint wrote:top ten trailers, according to wired....

http://www.wired.com/gamelife/2013/06/e ... =co8799364" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those MGS graphics are ridiculous. It'll also be open world? :O
It looks amazing.....The Crew looks pretty good too...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:56 pm

ChrisC wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
ChrisC wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
There's a lot of "seems" and "mights" in there. How do you think "cloud gaming" could be revolutionary? All cloud is, is a network. They've been around a while...

Kinect has been faddy so far from most persepectives, I didn't spot it playing a huge part in any of the releases they've showcased (or nowt much I'd be interested in anyhow.

As for 360 being more exciting, that hasn't stopped PS shipping more consoles than XBOX since the release of 360/PS3, which given XBOX was released a year earlier is some going. Maybe other folks like "less exciting" games, but most (not all) major releases ship to both platforms. The major ones not to ship to both are dance central and dance revolution, Lips, Forza, Fable, Halo and Gears.

I can only assume you like karaokeing in front of your Kinnect with that list. Do they have a cloud based Simon Cowell to slate you off nowadays? :)
Agreed it is potential rather than actuality right now.

They are talking about and demoed some cloud features that for example could be integrated in games to perform the physics calculations on the fly. Greatly multiplying the amount of options in game. But did they not also show cloud data being used to for example reconstruct people's driving styles in Forza.

I can see a lot that can be done with that if developers unlock its full power, especially in regard to creating personalised gaming worlds where cloud data creates individual experiences with hundreds of thousands of alternative story lines....still as you say not realised.

The new kinect is supposedly ultra sensitive. They demoed an FPS where leaning fractionally moved the on screen avatar and touching your head brought up the on screen map or something like that. An extension of the controller. Could be amazing if done right.

Definitely full of coulda and mights at this stage, I agree. But there is potential.

Price is an issue though until they really convince that these features will be fully integrated and as amazing as their vague promises suggest.

Still if I buy any of them right now it'd be an Xbox. But still has a way to go to convince me.

I don't get the fuss myself. Xbox comes with a Kinect 2.0 sensor. So the extra £70 compared with the PS4 price is fair IMO. You are also getting a console that can do so much more than just play games.
But the hard core gamers only interested in playing games may well see price and the second hand games restrictions as big issues.

Then the more casual market that might appreciate the more 'obvious family side' of kinect and the other features will need to have those well sold to them before forking out the dough.

The price is not really the issue. It's more that Microsoft have half hinted at a load of exciting and genuinely innovative stuff. But will it actually deliver? If it does great, but if not then the price difference is a bit of a no brained especially as the PS4 is more powerful in terms of the hardware in the box itself.....

The second hand thing will end up being the same on both consoles. Yes Playstation come out and said they wont restrict you but that doesn't mean anything. Game developers can say they won't allow second hand sales and that will be that. Even now on current gen consoles the likes of EA and Ubisoft have started with online passes and making people buy one if they buy the game second hand.

The developers hold all the cards because they make the games. If Playstation turned around and said to developers that they can't mess around with the second hand gaming market, what do you think will happen? they will just lean over to Xbox and focus their efforts more towards Microsoft.

No matter how much people piss and moan, this had to happen some day. The industry won't survive if the current ways continue with second hand games being sold by the millions. In the long run it will work in gamers favour anyway with better games and hopefully cheaper new games like PC games.
Missing the point. (A bit like Microsoft). We have a number of XBOXes, I want to be able to play the full priced £50 a pop games on any of them.

The games industry isn't new, was thriving in the mid 70's. I don't see that changing much at the moment. What's happened is the larger players have taken out the smaller players and are wondering why it's difficult to make ends meet with all the corporate overheads they have to bear. Lending books, records and games has gone on since time immemorium. This is corporate bollocks at its worst. Much of the second hand stuff I dip into or out of, I'll just not bother if I can't.

Kinect is only of value to me if I'm going to use it for anything, which at the moment I don't, so unbundle it and save me the money thanks.

As for whether Sony will end up in the same place, time will tell, one thing for certain Microsoft will end up there, as they plan to do so.

Microsoft have always tried to control every market they're in. I was almost starting to like them a little with XBOX360, but I guess leopards don't change their spots.

On cloud n stuff, nowt new, they've been able to do most of it for donkeys but not at a price point that would have been appealing, the difference is at the server end nowt to do with the box at the consumer end.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:32 pm

On the multiple console front, Microsoft have said that up to 10 family member accounts will be able to play any one game in the household. You can also sign in on a friends console to play it if you sign into your account. So technically you will be able to play the one game on multiple Xbox One's in your house once you associate that game to your XBL account.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:02 pm

A start, but doesn't address the other problems. Not convinced.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:04 pm

Worthy4England wrote:A start, but doesn't address the other problems. Not convinced.
Me neither yet. Long way to go before release. Lets see what cards are played next. Plenty of twists and turns to come me thinks.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:52 pm

Yes. the big thing about it i cant avoid seeeing is that, sony invented bluray and that has a shitload more DRM than the rival HD DVD ever did. and iirc was dearer per disc/film too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:38 pm

a1 wrote:Yes. the big thing about it i cant avoid seeeing is that, sony invented bluray and that has a shitload more DRM than the rival HD DVD ever did. and iirc was dearer per disc/film too.
It's not whether something has DRM that's at issue (for me). I'm ok with devs etc protecting their IP through DRM. It's whether as a consumer, you can transfer that IP. If I've paid full whack, I should be able to sell the thing when I'm done with it (as I might do with a car, house, golf clubs, undercrackers etc.) and as I no longer have the item, then there's still only one person that can play it (the transferee).

What's they're effectively saying is that for £40/£50, you don't own anything transferrable, you just have the right to play it.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:18 am

Worthy4England wrote:
a1 wrote:Yes. the big thing about it i cant avoid seeeing is that, sony invented bluray and that has a shitload more DRM than the rival HD DVD ever did. and iirc was dearer per disc/film too.
It's not whether something has DRM that's at issue (for me). I'm ok with devs etc protecting their IP through DRM. It's whether as a consumer, you can transfer that IP. If I've paid full whack, I should be able to sell the thing when I'm done with it (as I might do with a car, house, golf clubs, undercrackers etc.) and as I no longer have the item, then there's still only one person that can play it (the transferee).

What's they're effectively saying is that for £40/£50, you don't own anything transferrable, you just have the right to play it.
I agree, second hand markets exist for practically everything yet it seems to be just the video game industry that seems to have a problem with it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:27 pm

Aye. The f*ckers can get f*cked. I'm not a massive gamer, I bought an Xbox and then all my games were second-hand, so given they reckon they make very little on the machine (I think I read they sold PS3s at a loss) they probably aren't arsed about losing my custom. They can still f*ck off tho, to be clear. Only one way to stop it, and that's by not buying the stuff. Not sure people will though.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
phone apps are like this, i cannot resell my (say) tomtom app to you.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:17 pm

a1 wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
phone apps are like this, i cannot resell my (say) tomtom app to you.
You can sell me the phone, with the app on it (if you were so inclined). I don't expect to be able to transfer games that aren't on disc - the ones I get from Play Store are invariably at a price point much lower than the £49.99 for an XBOX disc-based game - lots of reasons driving this, including the complexity of the app etc. but partially I think the price points recognise that the app isn't generally transferrable. I guess sooner of later, as internet becomes more ubiquitous at higher bandwidth, games will all end up as digital download or streamed, so sooner or later it's going to change. When you download the UK&I Tom Tom map from iStore, it comes with a price tag of £27.49. Download the same map for a Tom Tom device, it's £39.95...

That said, I await with interest, the price drop on all the new XBOX ONE games, because they lack transferrability. I'm not holding my breath.

a1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by a1 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:11 pm

their theory behind it is you'll have a "windows/microsoft/xbox" account and everything you buy for the account is "yours". presumably longer than the 10-20 or so years the console will last (ie , you'll be able to play the games you bought on some kinda phone in the future)

they'll just say the physical disc thing is to ease up the data thruput or data transfer or storage required if it was fully "virtual" like a phone app. (think blurays are 50 gig, thats a lot to store/download/whatever).

dont fully get or agree with what they do or whatever , but i can see it.

as i said further back, the "ownership" issue is totally muddled nowadays.

[edit] and MS have been kinda distracted by the way apple does its business , what with the phones and the music and the Office yearly subscriptions thing. "ooh! we can make money *this* way". instead of buy 4 copies of windows/office and use em forever on four machines til they get crap then buy 4 more with 4 more windows/office.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:39 pm

ChrisC wrote:On the multiple console front, Microsoft have said that up to 10 family member accounts will be able to play any one game in the household. You can also sign in on a friends console to play it if you sign into your account. So technically you will be able to play the one game on multiple Xbox One's in your house once you associate that game to your XBL account.
Actually Microsoft seem to be saying something different slightly. Now IF this is truly how it is, based on what they're saying, then every fecker should buy an Xbox one.

They seem to be saying that for every game you buy one copy will be stored locally upon install and another automatically uploaded to the cloud. So every game you own has two playable copies. You can allow ten friends access to your games library on the cloud and they can play any of them, in full. Only restriction is that only one of your friends can play any one game at one time. However you can of course play it at the same time using your local copy.

So the long and short being you can play a full price game on your friends list for free. At least the way Microsoft are talking.

Sounds too good to be the entire story though.....

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jun 19, 2013 3:25 pm

I wes vehement about avoiding Microsoft at all costs. But got the 360 due to price and more people having it.

I won't reiterate the complaints of the internet, but I will be glad to switch back to Sony. I am happy to see that they have found their way to be the gamers choice again. Microsoft are unbelievably stupid, fixes or not. That 100.00 extra in the US seals the deal for me.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:26 pm

americantrotter wrote:I wes vehement about avoiding Microsoft at all costs. But got the 360 due to price and more people having it.

I won't reiterate the complaints of the internet, but I will be glad to switch back to Sony. I am happy to see that they have found their way to be the gamers choice again. Microsoft are unbelievably stupid, fixes or not. That 100.00 extra in the US seals the deal for me.
Stupid or do they just realise that the hardcore console gaming market is shrinking and they need a box that appeals to the masses?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 20, 2013 6:59 am

Microsoft have backed down. No DRM and no 24 hour online requirement. Shame as the family sharing feature has to go as a result of this as does being able to play without the physical disc in the drive. Meaning the cool switching from one game to another instantly also goes.

They should have stuck to their guns.

Still those who want no progress or change will be delighted!

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:51 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:Microsoft have backed down. No DRM and no 24 hour online requirement. Shame as the family sharing feature has to go as a result of this as does being able to play without the physical disc in the drive. Meaning the cool switching from one game to another instantly also goes.

Sony should have done the same as Microsoft and both gone with the DRM. Nothing will progress without it. I personally believe Sony was going to go with the DRM but changed tactics when they seen the Xbox E3 conference and the inevitable reaction.

People don't realise that the games would come down in price in time just like steam on the PC game front. Looks like we will have to wait for the next gen in about 10 years to get that progression now.

Beefheart
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Beefheart » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:05 am

ChrisC wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:Microsoft have backed down. No DRM and no 24 hour online requirement. Shame as the family sharing feature has to go as a result of this as does being able to play without the physical disc in the drive. Meaning the cool switching from one game to another instantly also goes.

Sony should have done the same as Microsoft and both gone with the DRM. Nothing will progress without it. I personally believe Sony was going to go with the DRM but changed tactics when they seen the Xbox E3 conference and the inevitable reaction.

People don't realise that the games would come down in price in time just like steam on the PC game front. Looks like we will have to wait for the next gen in about 10 years to get that progression now.
Yeah, but people like me who don't mind waiting and buying games cheaply second hand are better off.

ChrisC
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ChrisC » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:09 am

Beefheart wrote:
ChrisC wrote:

Yeah, but people like me who don't mind waiting and buying games cheaply second hand are better off.
The DRM thing has to happen one day. It would be better happening now rather than 5-10 years down the line. The longer it takes and the more money developers lose on second hand games, the less big blockbuster games we will get. If anything game prices will go up and the second hand games will go up in price without the DRM.

For anybody interested, games are prices at £49.99 and £54.99 at the moment for Xbox One games.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:13 am

If they can't sell enough games to make money, then they should take a look at their business model/overheads.