Charitable souls of The Wanderer...

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

blurred
Icon
Icon

Charitable souls of The Wanderer...

Post by blurred » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:06 pm

...lend me your ears. Or in this case, more your eyes. And then your wallets.

On 7th October I shall be eschewing my usual seat at Anfield in order to take part in an altogether more worthwhile event; I will be throwing myself off the Tyne Bridge. Before the cheers break out, I shall have to inform you that I shall be attached to a rope, given that I am abseiling my way down/off this monstrous piece of engineering, all in the name of charity.

I am raising funds for ATE (Active Training and Education) which is a charity that my girlfriend volunteers for. The basic script is that they run residential holidays for children aged 8-16 from all backgrounds and from all across the UK, and are looking to build/buy their own centre in order that they can do this all year round. For all the info, there's a thread on RAWK clicky here, or for more info on ATE themselves go to www.ate.org.uk

My company will be doubling any money that I raise for charity (it's their bicentenary year so they're feeling generous), so if there are any generous souls on here it's nice to know that your money will be going that little bit further as it'll be matched pound for pound by my miserable bosses. Oh, and my girlfriend's doing it with me, and she's a Bolton fan, so you can pretend you're sponsoring her and not me if you want!

Anyway, cheers for your time.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:12 pm

I'll fetch the scissors... :wink:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:14 pm

jump off with the rope round your neck - it's been a while since liverpool had a martyr, well at least a week anyway
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:17 pm

You want paying for something thats fun? Scrounging scouse git.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:19 pm

abseiling's not really very difficult is it? You're not even suggesting you're acrophobic!

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

keveh
Icon
Icon

Post by keveh » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:37 pm

Where do I sponsor you?

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:45 pm

keveh wrote:Where do I sponsor you?
We only agreed to do this when spaces became available yesterday, so it's all a bit of a hastily cobbled together effort at the moment. The only problem with doing one of those online payment page thingies is that they charge over 6% on each payment, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to work that with my company and their pledge to double all the funds raised. I'll be speaking to them about it as soon as I can.

Lennon
Promising
Promising

Post by Lennon » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:47 pm

Wow, a scouser asking for your wallet. What a turn-up for the books.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:47 pm

communistworkethic wrote:abseiling's not really very difficult is it? You're not even suggesting you're acrophobic!
Well it's not something I've done since I was about 7 on a school holiday thingy, and I can't say that I'll particularly like looking over the edge of the bridge when it comes to do it, but I'm not going to say I'm a huge vertigo sufferer or anything just to elicit donations.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:16 pm

blurred wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:abseiling's not really very difficult is it? You're not even suggesting you're acrophobic!
Well it's not something I've done since I was about 7 on a school holiday thingy, and I can't say that I'll particularly like looking over the edge of the bridge when it comes to do it, but I'm not going to say I'm a huge vertigo sufferer or anything just to elicit donations.
your non-scouseness is getting the better of you

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:38 pm

blurred wrote:
We only agreed to do this when spaces became available yesterday, so it's all a bit of a hastily cobbled together effort at the moment. The only problem with doing one of those online payment page thingies is that they charge over 6% on each payment, and I'm not sure if we'll be able to work that with my company and their pledge to double all the funds raised. I'll be speaking to them about it as soon as I can.
why not use PayPal then? works out less than 6%

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:48 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
blurred wrote:
why not use PayPal then? works out less than 6%
even after the 5%, the cahrity gets £12 for every £10 donated due to the reclaiming of gift aid.

Unless your company operates a chariatbel trust which it does its matching funds through, there shouldn't be an issue with them matching the basic donations, as you have evidence of the amounts pledged and paid.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:59 pm

communistworkethic wrote:even after the 5%, the cahrity gets £12 for every £10 donated due to the reclaiming of gift aid.
So long as the people sponsoring you are UK taxpayers, yes.
communistworkethic wrote:Unless your company operates a chariatbel trust which it does its matching funds through, there shouldn't be an issue with them matching the basic donations, as you have evidence of the amounts pledged and paid.
Hopefully they'll not have a problem with it - waiting to hear back from the people now.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:03 pm

blurred wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:even after the 5%, the cahrity gets £12 for every £10 donated due to the reclaiming of gift aid.
So long as the people sponsoring you are UK taxpayers, yes.
oh aye I forgot - scousers, they'll all be on the dole tax dodgers

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:06 pm

communistworkethic wrote:oh aye I forgot - scousers, they'll all be on the dole tax dodgers
Well I've got mates who are students and people who live overseas who'll be donating, so they won't get the gift aid bit.

Stupid tart who administers all this charity waffle at work is away today and not back till tomorrow. Helpful :roll:

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:18 am

I've got an idea ... just don't do it. Then you save the petrol cost, save the hotel bills, cost of meals and any associated expenditure & donate that money to charity instead.

It'll probably work out to be more than you raise.

Glad to be of help.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 27, 2007 12:33 am

bobo the clown wrote:I've got an idea ... just don't do it. Then you save the petrol cost, save the hotel bills, cost of meals and any associated expenditure & donate that money to charity instead.

Glad to be of help.
Well there'll be no hotel cost as I'll be staying at my girlfriend's place, seeing as she lives up in the north east, and thus food will also be of minimal expenditure. Travel costs will be relatively small, and I'm donating money to the cause anyway. But thank you for your concern.

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:39 am

Annoyingly we can't do the online option as the funds in order to be doubled have to go through the company account thingy, which is irritating and somewhat officious, but I had kind of guessed that'd be the case.

If anyone does want to sponsor, though, they can do a cheque payable to the company which i can then bung in along with whatever cash I raise through family/friends/colleagues, etc.

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:50 am

blurred wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:I've got an idea ... just don't do it. Then you save the petrol cost, save the hotel bills, cost of meals and any associated expenditure & donate that money to charity instead.

Glad to be of help.
Well there'll be no hotel cost as I'll be staying at my girlfriend's place, seeing as she lives up in the north east, and thus food will also be of minimal expenditure. Travel costs will be relatively small, and I'm donating money to the cause anyway. But thank you for your concern.
OK, to put it another way ... if you fancy sliding down a bridge with the aid of a rope, be my guest.

If you fancy getting money for a charity, be my guest.

I just don't, ever, see the link between someone having an adventure & justifying it because it's "in the name of charity".

It's not an attack on you, but the whole scene.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:58 am

bobo the clown wrote:I just don't, ever, see the link between someone having an adventure & justifying it because it's "in the name of charity".

It's not an attack on you, but the whole scene.
I'd generally agree with that (and some 'events' really do smack of people wanting to do something they enjoy/do anyway and get cash for it), but it's a method of getting people to cough up though, isn't it? I could come on here or RAWK or into the pub and say that this charity need a donation, and I'd get the square root of feck all. Suddenly if I'm walking across burning coals/throwing myself out of an aeroplane/jumping off a bridge/whatever then people are more inclined to donate. It's a strange world, but it's also the way it works.

In other news pledges are going well, and with my work doubling taken into account I'm past the £250 mark already, which is great :)