Hard Bastards II

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Hard Bastards II

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:24 am

Saw a new publication in a book shop at weekend: "Hard Bastards II". No, not a Bruce Willis film but a book by Kate Kray, widow of Ron Kray of the gangland twins fame. Just mentioning it because Bolton's Trevor Roberts is listed in there. Not read it yet (or even bought it, though I probably will) so I'm not sure if Mad Frank Holt gets a mention (if he doesn't she must be working on present material only).

If you're into this sort of things also read Lennie McClean's "The Guvenor". He and Roy Shaw really did merit the dubious title
of hard bastards.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:14 pm

cheers TD, might have to get a copy of that
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:26 pm

communistworkethic wrote:cheers TD, might have to get a copy of that
Actually saw it for sale in Farnworth Asda, so it must be on general release.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:55 pm

I've only read the guvenor, are there other books as good as that?

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Re: Hard Bastards II

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:02 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Saw a new publication in a book shop at weekend: "Hard Bastards II". No, not a Bruce Willis film but a book by Kate Kray, widow of Ron Kray of the gangland twins fame. Just mentioning it because Bolton's Trevor Roberts is listed in there. Not read it yet (or even bought it, though I probably will) so I'm not sure if Mad Frank Holt gets a mention (if he doesn't she must be working on present material only).

If you're into this sort of things also read Lennie McClean's "The Guvenor". He and Roy Shaw really did merit the dubious title
of hard bastards.
Not according to Alan Partridge!
YOU CLIMB OBSTACLES LIKE OLD PEOPLE FXCK!!!!!!!!!!!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:11 pm

americantrotter wrote:I've only read the guvenor, are there other books as good as that?
Read one years ago called "Tuxedo Warrior", all about a night club bouncer. Was good. Also read Kate Kray on Roy Shaw. He was one bad bastard he was.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:50 pm

just had a look on amazon and it looks like it's been out for a while - they're only showing it as a "used" sale through marketplace.

Think I may have to nip by Farnworth asda at the weekend

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:33 pm

communistworkethic wrote:just had a look on amazon and it looks like it's been out for a while - they're only showing it as a "used" sale through marketplace.

Think I may have to nip by Farnworth asda at the weekend
Didn't know this at the time but apparently it's a second version under the same title (but Hard Bastards II). Trev R (described as "The iron man of Bolton") is in the one I saw, II, don't know about the first one. You might find it in W.H.Smiths, Waterstones etc as well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Commie, check this out. Trev is on page six of the photo gallery:

http://www.crimethroughtime.com/gallery.asp?CatID=58

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:If you're into this sort of things.
I can't think of a single things (sic) that I'm into less thanks, Tango. Hero worshipping those enforce their will by way of violence? Give me a break. :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:If you're into this sort of things.
I can't think of a single things (sic) that I'm into less thanks, Tango. Hero worshipping those enforce their will by way of violence? Give me a break. :roll:
No hero worship involved Bruce, and I meant into reading about what actually goes on in gangland rather than emulating it. ( I thought my post made that clear?)

Of the two I know personally, I used to do a bit of door work with Mad Frank years ago, and Trev Roberts is quite likely to immobilise you and tell you to go home and not be a silly lad. Tis a foolish fellow indeed that doesn't listen. In the book Trev Roberts is a little unique as he clearly admits he has no life of crime to contribute. The rest, unfortunately, have.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:No hero worship involved Bruce, and I meant into reading about what actually goes on in gangland rather than emulating it. ( I thought my post made that clear?)
You'll have to point out the bit where your post clarified that particular point then, Tango. Don't get me wrong, I'm very aware of who Trevor Roberts is and what a gentleman he is unless crossed, but tell me, is that the way in which the other people in the book conduct themselves? My older brother, who is himself a fifth dan and works the doors is one of the most placid people that you'll ever meet. However, people don't buy into these sort of books to read about these sort of people, they are the exceptions.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:37 pm

Not quite sure where we're going here Bruce? I mentioned a book I saw and will probably read. Doesn't exactly make a me a devotee of crime, I wouldn't have thought, especially since I'm always "ranting" about parental, teacher and police control being one of the problems in our society.

Quote: Saw a new publication in a book shop at weekend: "Hard Bastards II". No, not a Bruce Willis film but a book by Kate Kray, widow of Ron Kray of the gangland twins fame. Just mentioning it because Bolton's Trevor Roberts is listed in there.

The rest was simply forthe interest of other members who may read this sort of thing. Don't see the problem? :conf:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 18, 2007 8:51 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Not quite sure where we're going here Bruce? I mentioned a book I saw and will probably read. Doesn't exactly make a me a devotee of crime, I wouldn't have thought, especially since I'm always "ranting" about parental, teacher and police control being one of the problems in our society.

Quote: Saw a new publication in a book shop at weekend: "Hard Bastards II". No, not a Bruce Willis film but a book by Kate Kray, widow of Ron Kray of the gangland twins fame.Just mentioning it because Bolton's Trevor Roberts is listed in there.

The rest was simply forthe interest of other members who may read this sort of thing. Don't see the problem? :conf:
Clearer? A book about 'Hard Bastards' by the wife of a Kray. Hardly going to be about reasoning sorts on the doors of Bolton nightclubs is it? (without an exception to make out that there's some sort of humane link between gangland cut-throats and people that can handle themselves without being aggressive? Oh, and don't forget that you could leave your door open, etc. etc. etc.)

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:08 pm

brucie - no I don't think that TD gives a monkey's about the others in this book or others of there ilk, and by and large I wouldn't rate most of the people in them as "hard" but psychotic. Not sure why you're on to TD in this one, he did say "if you're in to this kind of thing" and "just mentioning it because", you declare you're not in to them seem to have a go at him about even raising it. I can only assume you're hopped up on e numbers from red smarties this aft, and a mite more iritable than your usual placid self. ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: Clearer? A book about 'Hard Bastards' by the wife of a Kray. Hardly going to be about reasoning sorts on the doors of Bolton nightclubs is it? (without an exception to make out that there's some sort of humane link between gangland cut-throats and people that can handle themselves without being aggressive? Oh, and don't forget that you could leave your door open, etc. etc. etc.)
Must be something totally objectionable about my posts these days. I also read poetry, dance, draw and paint occasionaly, listen to music and annoy the dog with my guitar. Think I migh fxxk off and do one of them. Carry on Bruce.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:28 pm

communistworkethic wrote:brucie - no I don't think that TD gives a monkey's about the others in this book or others of there ilk, and by and large I wouldn't rate most of the people in them as "hard" but psychotic. Not sure why you're on to TD in this one, he did say "if you're in to this kind of thing" and "just mentioning it because", you declare you're not in to them seem to have a go at him about even raising it. I can only assume you're hopped up on e numbers from red smarties this aft, and a mite more iritable than your usual placid self. ;)
Not at all. My point is that these type of books always centre around nutters but have a token 'genuine' tough guy (like TR) so as to almost sanitise the whole thing, whereas in the overall context of the book it's your genuine hard guy that will ultimately be the one that the bulging eyed nutter type of reader will fear the most. I'm not having a pop at anyone, least of all TD, it's just that it read to me that he was glorifying violence, and there isn't anything that I abhor more. I've tried to read books by some of the wankers that made life difficult for me in watching the Wanderers in my teens. They all try to state how they were the victims of Tatcher's Britain before launching into 'we had the feck* on the way back to the station because the coppers thought that we'd have attacked them from a different angle' type of wank. I detest physical violence in all of its forms. Maybe it's just me.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:32 pm

I think it's the red smarties fella, as TD was pretty clear about his reasons for mentioning it, irrespective of the relative merits of this genre.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:34 pm

communistworkethic wrote:I think it's the red smarties fella, as TD was pretty clear about his reasons for mentioning it, irrespective of the relative merits of this genre.
I disagree and I think you've fallen for the cop-out.
Ask him about smoking then, I dare you!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
communistworkethic wrote:I think it's the red smarties fella, as TD was pretty clear about his reasons for mentioning it, irrespective of the relative merits of this genre.
I disagree and I think you've fallen for the cop-out.Ask him about smoking then, I dare you!
wouldn't be the first time, it's the uniform, women in authority ..mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm :oops: