US Elections

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Fri May 09, 2008 1:14 pm

:mrgreen:
Businesswoman of the year.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri May 09, 2008 1:32 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:You missed the point. MWCIEC didn't try to imply that 58% of voters voted for Hilary Clinton because she is white, but he is trying to say that the black vote goes to Obame purely because he is black.

The colour of the voter is irrelevant. As is the colour of the candidate.
Don't worry Crazy, I won't let this get out of hand, because it's not my style, but Mr Insane is barking up the wrong tree.

I wasn't attempting to imply anything myself - but it's true that sometimes numbers such as these can imply their own story.

Whatever way you look at it, 90% of a certain group (and for goodness' sake, it's not inherently racist to split electorate into various groups) voted a certain way and a percentage that high is always going to be a point of interest.

Let's imagine a count showed that 90% of women casting a vote casted it for Clinton - that would be worth talking about and it would be reasonable to conclude that her being female played a significant role in proceedings. To flag it up would not constitute a sexist sentiment that all of those women voting were incapable of voting on any issue other than gender. So please, grow up. I'm really not a racist and I'd appreciate it if you could stop saying I am.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri May 09, 2008 1:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
sluffy wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:You are trying to suggest that Black voters vote for him because he is black. Don't try and deny that.
:conf:

Well they do!

Just as some white voters will vote for the white candidate.

We may think it is reprehensible that in the year 2008 that racism in civilised society still exits - but unfortunately it does and I think you are being naive if you believe otherwise.
Umm I think there is a distinction here to be made.

Nobody would EVER suggest that white people would vote for a white candidate purely because they are white.

But MWCIEC is definitely suggesting that black people vote for Obama because of the colour of his skin!

He has presented facts from the BBC, but then put his own twist onto them by saying that Obama was meant to be the "unifying" candidate, suggesting that he should get backing from "white" voters as well to be taken as a serious candidate. Hence suggesting that purely getting votes from "black people" isn't enough, hence the inherent racism in his post.
have to say whilst i don't agree with a lot a mummy's political opinions, i personally would suggest some white people would vote for a candidate merely because he is white. if you put Obama up against a white man who claimed he thought the moon was made of cheese, that gay people were allergic to cheese and as such he would blast them up to space and to the moon, i think certain people in the southern states would vote for the latter. they are idiots, but it doesnt change the fact they have a vote to decide who becomes the most powerful person in the world.

as for whether mummy's statement was racist, i have to say i didnt get the impression that mummy was implying only black people would vote for someone of their own colour because of that.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 09, 2008 2:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Nobody would EVER suggest that white people would vote for a white candidate purely because they are white.
Perhaps, however I would suggest that some white people would vote for any white candidate because Obama is black. Clearly, some (many?) Afro-Americans would vote for Obama because he is black. Some Americans would vote for Obama because Hilary is a woman. The electorate is full of bias in many directions. Hopefully the majority will vote on the issues. To suggest anyone, even PB :wink:, is making a racist remarks for highlighting an obvious truth is absurd, IMHO.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Gertie
Stalker
Stalker

Post by Gertie » Fri May 09, 2008 2:53 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Well, Hillary is finally done for. It's now really a question of when and how she gets out of the race, which might depend on what her remaining ambitions are. I have always disliked her and her husband, but even I feel some sympathy for the poor bitch; she was definitely the better candidate in every way imaginable (better qualified, better positions, better chance at winning in November).
So they're voting for a female dog?

Poor choice of word imo.
Nobody puts Baby in a corner

www.can-i-see.blogspot.com

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri May 09, 2008 2:54 pm

Gertie wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Well, Hillary is finally done for. It's now really a question of when and how she gets out of the race, which might depend on what her remaining ambitions are. I have always disliked her and her husband, but even I feel some sympathy for the poor bitch; she was definitely the better candidate in every way imaginable (better qualified, better positions, better chance at winning in November).
So they're voting for a female dog?

Poor choice of word imo.
The dogs already destitute, don't kick it when its down :wink:
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri May 09, 2008 3:16 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Perhaps, however I would suggest that some white people would vote for any white candidate because Obama is black. Clearly, some (many?) Afro-Americans would vote for Obama because he is black. Some Americans would vote for Obama because Hilary is a woman. The electorate is full of bias in many directions. Hopefully the majority will vote on the issues. To suggest anyone, even PB :wink:, is making a racist remarks for highlighting an obvious truth is absurd, IMHO.
Would have thought any US presidential candidate would have to be ex Navy Seal, martial arts expert, crack marksman,able to pilot a helicopter and fly a jet as a minimum requirement? Have I been watching too many films? :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?