5 a side

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Batman

5 a side

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:04 pm

Good day forummers

I have wisely joined the work 5 a side team (no amusing name unfortunately - the captain viewed my suggestion of Inter MeNan unfavourably)

we're playing on those plasticcy pitches, does anyone else play on them? If so, what kind of footwear is the best?

I have a scuzzy pair of old Reebok Classics, will they suffice?

and please - no joke about my fitness, I am already aware that I may die after this game.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:07 pm

The best footwear would be those football trainers designed for astro-turf, but your Reebok Classics should be ok if they have any of the tread left on them.

I thought for a second you were going to suggest a TW 5-a-side team...
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Re: 5 a side

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 pm

Batman wrote:Good day forummers

I have wisely joined the work 5 a side team (no amusing name unfortunately - the captain viewed my suggestion of Inter MeNan unfavourably)

we're playing on those plasticcy pitches, does anyone else play on them? If so, what kind of footwear is the best?

I have a scuzzy pair of old Reebok Classics, will they suffice?

and please - no joke about my fitness, I am already aware that I may die after this game.
Astroturf boots - Ive got some Nike ones. Think I paid about £20. You tend to slip a lot more with trainers - or maybe that was just me.
We play on what is supposed to be astroturf but is actually concrete with a layer of carpet on top and a load of sand thrown on for good measure.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:11 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
I thought for a second you were going to suggest a TW 5-a-side team...
well, this former North Bury Junior League top scorer (1994) would be centre forward fo'sho

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:13 pm

Is is the new 3rd gen pitch with little rubber bits in it? I play on it and I have started to wear Nike running shoes instead of astro boots. Its not slippy and the running shoes have better support than the astro boots. When the pitch is wet you still have grip...and you can slide tackle without needing a skin graft.

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:14 pm

marshall_42 wrote:Is is the new 3rd gen pitch with little rubber bits in it? I play on it and I have started to wear Nike running shoes instead of astro boots. Its not slippy and the running shoes have better support than the astro boots. When the pitch is wet you still have grip...and you can slide tackle without needing a skin graft.
Are you in a league? We arent allowed to slide tackle.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:18 pm

If you're at the soccer dome, you can wear mouldies, £40 for a pair of Copa Mundials in sport soccer!! Happy days!

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:20 pm

nah pal, Preston Sports Arena

Finance vs Hotel Management

GAME ON!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:24 pm

Batman wrote:nah pal, Preston Sports Arena

Finance vs Hotel Management

GAME ON!
Don't forget your goalie gloves..

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:14 pm

and don't wear your shell suit as it will melt when you slide :wink:

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:16 pm

i'm looking forward to it

only downside is they play in bright red, so i'm going to dig out that red away shirt from a few years back.

i'm going to be surprised at how unfit i am

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:26 pm

As Marshall says it depends on the surface. The third-gen stuff is surprisingly good.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:As Marshall says it depends on the surface. The third-gen stuff is surprisingly good.
Except for all those horridy bits of rubber that find their way into your trainers, socks and undercrackers.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:49 pm

I wear mouldies on 3rd gen

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:55 pm

For PSA you can just wear normal trainers, Batty.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:03 pm

perfan wrote:For PSA you can just wear normal trainers, Batty.
cheers doll

'mon you whites (ish)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:As Marshall says it depends on the surface. The third-gen stuff is surprisingly good.
Except for all those horridy bits of rubber that find their way into your trainers, socks and undercrackers.
Better than sand and concrete-burns! :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 18, 2008 6:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Better than sand and concrete-burns! :wink:
Aye, true enough. A lasting reminder of Deepdale is still visible on my right knee. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

Leyther_Matt
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Leyther_Matt » Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:21 pm

Batman wrote:i'm looking forward to it

only downside is they play in bright red, so i'm going to dig out that red away shirt from a few years back.

i'm going to be surprised at how unfit i am
Have the same problem on my 7 a side team (Deportivo la Corona, naturally) and said shirt comes in handy for me, too.

I wear mouldies (£20 from Sports Soccer) on both the astroturf for seven a side and on the 3G for rugby, much better than trainers for that extra little grip, while I've never been convinced by those astro turf trainer kinda things.
This is the rhythm of Zat Knight

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:44 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
marshall_42 wrote:Is is the new 3rd gen pitch with little rubber bits in it? I play on it and I have started to wear Nike running shoes instead of astro boots. Its not slippy and the running shoes have better support than the astro boots. When the pitch is wet you still have grip...and you can slide tackle without needing a skin graft.
Are you in a league? We arent allowed to slide tackle.
Nah its jsut some blokes from the office. We sometimes play agaisnt our students too. Thats when things get a bit rough.