Your First Gig.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:36 pm

June 14th, 1992, Maine Road, aged 13 and 3/4 - 5 days late Guns n Roses. T'was superb!

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:49 pm

For me it was some time in late 1959 or early 1960. My big sister took me to a place called the Casbah in Liverpool where amongst other performers there were three quarters of who became The Beatles (no Ringo then). Can't remember much about it but it did seem quite loud. No Beatlemania at that time and I can't recall that anyone seemed that impressed. Great judges of talent, my sister's friends!
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

perfan
Reliable
Reliable

Post by perfan » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:24 pm

Boyzone at the MEN in 1996, I loved it even though I was on the back row of the upper tier!

blurred
Icon
Icon

Post by blurred » Mon Jan 21, 2008 4:03 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:For me it was some time in late 1959 or early 1960. My big sister took me to a place called the Casbah in Liverpool
Is that a Mathew St venue or do you have any idea as to its whereabouts in the city?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:16 pm

blurred wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:For me it was some time in late 1959 or early 1960. My big sister took me to a place called the Casbah in Liverpool
Is that a Mathew St venue or do you have any idea as to its whereabouts in the city?
Good Lord, I'm not sure. I think the Mathew Street venue was the Cavern. The place I went was in the basement of a large house (although pretty small for the audience). A suburb - we took the East Lancs road and turned south before we got to the city. Best I can do ( I was only 16 and couldn't drive - stuck in the back of the car with older people). :conf:
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:20 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
blurred wrote:
Good Lord, I'm not sure. I think the Mathew Street venue was the Cavern. The place I went was in the basement of a large house (although pretty small for the audience). A suburb - we took the East Lancs road and turned south before we got to the city. Best I can do ( I was only 16 and couldn't drive - stuck in the back of the car with older people). :conf:
This one is in a cellar...

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/serv ... ebDoc.8734

Errr actually in THIS Cellar

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:29 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Montreal Wanderer wrote:
blurred wrote:
This one is in a cellar...

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/serv ... ebDoc.8734

Errr actually in THIS Cellar

Well, that sounds like it but I don't see how 1500 people (according to that article) could possibly have fitted into the place I went. :? It was nearly 50 years ago so you could talk me into believing anything now. I'll have to ask Big Sister.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 21, 2008 5:45 pm

Looking at the Wiki entry, It sort of maxed out and got uncomfortable at 300. But there were over 1,000 members. I guess closing night there, wouldn't have been 1,500 people in it all at once....As it's a relatively small cellar (i.e. doesn't extend beyond the boundary of the house pictured)

Son of Jardel
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Son of Jardel » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:06 pm

Muse at the M.E.N when I was about 16. Still remains the best gig I've seen. :pray:

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 8:37 pm

I watched the Sultans of Ping at either Bolton College or Crown and Flick knife in the mid-90s. My mate got chucked out for heckling. Then I saw UK Subs at the same dive.
Viva La Portable Radio!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:24 pm

The Red Guitars probably. So famous that they once reached 11th in Peelie's Festive Fifty.

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:38 pm

Muse at Manchester Apollo.
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Backgammon
Promising
Promising

Post by Backgammon » Tue Jan 22, 2008 10:54 am

The World Wide Message Tribe came to our school and did a concert in the Hall. God-pop group who were spreading the good word through syncronised dancing... Awful.

First real concert was Green Day at the Mcr Apollo in '95, as a slight 15 year old. Last date of the Dookie tour. Spent most of the night crowd surfing.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Think I've already mentioned mine, but - Motorhead "Bomber Tour" at the Manchester Apollo. Think it was about 1980...
I'm just about to put on a hat, so I can doff it to you. What a fantastic first gig. Didn't see them until around 87 or 88, at Manchester International 2 (which I don't think still exists...), but they were phenomenal. Still are better than most bands I've seen...
I'm slightly ashamed to admit my first gig was Def Leppard at Manchester Apollo. Just after they released their not-very-good "Hysteria" long playing record. But I was young...
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:57 pm

Puskas wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:Think I've already mentioned mine, but - Motorhead "Bomber Tour" at the Manchester Apollo. Think it was about 1980...
I'm just about to put on a hat, so I can doff it to you. What a fantastic first gig. Didn't see them until around 87 or 88, at Manchester International 2 (which I don't think still exists...), but they were phenomenal. Still are better than most bands I've seen...
I'm slightly ashamed to admit my first gig was Def Leppard at Manchester Apollo. Just after they released their not-very-good "Hysteria" long playing record. But I was young...
The thought of Lemmy announcing "This is a song about French Beer - it's called Poison" still makes me snigger....and watching a whole raft of hariy arsed bikers head out of the front stalls when the Bomber lighting rig descended over the crowd was a joy to behold :-) Think they made up for it later that evening when they passed the Free Trade Hall....The Who had just done a gig there IIRC so lots of people running round with targets on their backs, which said hairy arsed bikers, having fully regained their composure, kicked soundly.

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Red Hot Chili Peppers in Feb 04/03 (can't recall) at the MEN.

The Mars Volta were supporting, and I remember half-liking them, forgetting about them and then them becoming my favorite band. Brilliant.

Super_Kevin_Davies
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Super_Kevin_Davies » Wed Jan 23, 2008 2:38 pm

I think mine was Bush at the Manchester Academy 1998 (I think....)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:05 pm

From memory, the Casbah was in West Derby - wasn't it owned by Pete Best's mum?

Not a massive gig fan meself, which might explain why I didn't attend one till I was 16 - what was then titled The Paul Weller Experience at Brixton Academy in 1990. Far more impressed that night than when I saw the same man at the same place a decade later having turned into everything he once hated and lost at least half his dynamic vocal range along the way. That second night, he was easily upstaged (to me at least) by support act Doves.

Can't remember much about that debut gig except for the odd flakes of plaster drifting down from the Academy's proscenium arch. What I do remember is catching the night bus home a fair few scoops later from Trafalgar Square to my mate's house in Barking. Good Christ, my eyeballs were filling up by the time I got off.

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:32 pm

Indigo Girls. At the boathouse in Norfolk VA.

mofgimmers
Reliable
Reliable

Post by mofgimmers » Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:59 pm

americantrotter wrote:Indigo Girls. At the boathouse in Norfolk VA.
"...closer I am to fiiiiine"
Viva La Portable Radio!