t'Top 10

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

t'Top 10

Post by marshall_42 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:03 pm

As I mentioned on another post....I, being the best boyfriend in the world am taking my GF to a luxury hotel for a Valentines midweek break. The hotel is Deveres, Horwich Parkway :P

Anyway, as I am unlikely to have it all my way, I will no doublt get dragged around Manc shopping, and I would also like to explore Bolton, having only ever gone though on the train on the way to the bok. Therefore I set a challenge to all locals.....assemble the top 10 things to do/places to see in and around Bolton?!

Good luck.

Batman

Post by Batman » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:05 pm

go and look at the elephants in town

Olympic chippy

then go to the Bok

don't bother with town - it used to be alright, but that was a while back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Like Batty said, the town centre has lost its character these days although the shopping isn't bad. This time of year site-seeing won't be too much fun but Smithills Hall is worth a look (make sure it's open first) , likewise Hall-ith-Wood. The museum and art gallery on the Town hall crescent will get you out of the rain for a couple of hours but Bolton's far better in the Summer. The Olympic fish and chip restaurant is well worth a visit (along Newport Street in the direction of the Town Hall) Fish, chips, peas and a steak pudding, two slices of bread and a pot of tea will set you well on your way. :mrgreen:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:35 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Like Batty said, the town centre has lost its character these days although the shopping isn't bad. This time of year site-seeing won't be too much fun but Smithills Hall is worth a look (make sure it's open first) , likewise Hall-ith-Wood. The museum and art gallery on the Town hall crescent will get you out of the rain for a couple of hours but Bolton's far better in the Summer. The Olympic fish and chip restaurant is well worth a visit (along Newport Street in the direction of the Town Hall) Fish, chips, peas and a steak pudding, two slices of bread and a pot of tea will set you well on your way. :mrgreen:
I'm there!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:01 pm

marshall_42 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Like Batty said, the town centre has lost its character these days although the shopping isn't bad. This time of year site-seeing won't be too much fun but Smithills Hall is worth a look (make sure it's open first) , likewise Hall-ith-Wood. The museum and art gallery on the Town hall crescent will get you out of the rain for a couple of hours but Bolton's far better in the Summer. The Olympic fish and chip restaurant is well worth a visit (along Newport Street in the direction of the Town Hall) Fish, chips, peas and a steak pudding, two slices of bread and a pot of tea will set you well on your way. :mrgreen:
I'm there!
Not your corner chip shop here. Excellent setting, waiter service, take your coat and pull a chair out for the missus and it's run by a Greek family. Nothing Greek about the fish and chips though, pure Lancashire quality. :mrgreen:

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 11:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
marshall_42 wrote:
I'm there!
Not your corner chip shop here. Excellent setting, waiter service, take your coat and pull a chair out for the missus and it's run by a Greek family. Nothing Greek about the fish and chips though, pure Lancashire quality. :mrgreen:
what a Valentines dinner!

freeindeed
Promising
Promising

Post by freeindeed » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:11 am

Maybe a little energetic but i would reccomend going for a walk upto Rivington Pike. Great views of...err...The Bok

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sat Feb 02, 2008 1:48 am

^ Rivvy pike is a grreat walk if the weather is favourable.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Batman

Post by Batman » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:39 am

marshall_42 wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
marshall_42 wrote:
I'm there!
what a Valentines dinner!
The owner is dead scary, like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld if anyone one here knows what I mean

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:10 am

1. Ye olde pastie shoppe!!!

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:37 am

really spoil her, take her to the egyption collection at the museum and the aquarium
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

James B
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by James B » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:49 am

it's olympus ffs

and yes, it's awesome

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:55 am

Present yourself at Horwich Parkway Station and catch the train to Manchester is my advice. :(
May the bridges I burn light your way

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 3:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Present yourself at Horwich Parkway Station and catch the train to Manchester is my advice. :(
That'll be a part of the plan for sure!

davroduk
Reliable
Reliable

Post by davroduk » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:18 pm

Ahh Bolton.
A great place to come from.
Feckin terrible place to go to. :roll:
TALKING BALLS AS ALWAYS

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:53 pm

Its not what it used to be for pubs in Bolton (King Bill et al have gone) but...

You have to try Ye Olde Man and Scythe (even if its lost most of its charachter and the current incumbent is a t**t), The Sweet Green Tavern (near the railway station) and a visit to Bolton wouldn't be complete without a trip to The Howcroft (get a taxi - pity its not beer festival season, they have the biggest one in the British isles or something).

As the others already said,Ye Olde Pastie shoppe is a must, as is the Olympus (Bolton Legend/Landmark - know any other chippies where theres a queue everyday for a seat?).

And then walk it all off with a stroll over Rivington or Anglezarke.

Sod Manchester, its crammed full of wanabes in a wanabe city that wants to be(and thinks it is) as important as London.

And the Trafford Centre is soul crushing Americanized banality at its very worst:- AVOID
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 02, 2008 8:56 pm

davroduk wrote:Ahh Bolton.
A great place to come from.
Feckin terrible place to go to. :roll:
That's a rare statement from somebody living in Hindley, the land Cain gave back to God.

Still got that fxxkings awful pink pub down there? :wink:

finlayson
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by finlayson » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:14 pm

1) visit the Museum. The second best Egyptian collection in the country, or so they say.
2) Sample a pint in Ye Olde Man and Scythe.
3) Get a Pastie from Ye Olde Pastie Shop.
4) Go on the Bank Top Tour.
5) Visit the Olympus Chippy.
6) Go on the Reebok tour.
7) Have a mooch up Rivington, it really is one of the most beautiful places in the country, right here on our doorstep.
8) After you have climbed to the Pike, head cross country to Winter Hill, see Scotch Mans Stump and see the memorial to the Winter Hill Air Disaster.
9) Visit Smithills hall and see a bit of our local history, see the footprint that fills with blood! Or go to Hall it' Wood, but its horrible round there.
10) Get a train to Manchester.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:19 pm

Forgot the Bank Top tour!

Brilliant, though you do need 12 of you (which M42's missus might not appreciate on a 'romantic break'!)
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:32 pm

finlayson wrote:1) visit the Museum. The second best Egyptian collection in the country, or so they say.
Nipped into the art gallery after a work-stuff shopping mission in Whitakers. Absolute bobbins at the moment. They've got the same old paintings that they've had out for the last seven or eight months, and then some photo's of various Welsh forest floors, which in reality aren't all that different from Boltonian forest floors. :conf:
May the bridges I burn light your way