Your finest hour.

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Your finest hour.

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 pm

On Sunday I'm not ashamed to say I did myself proud. I competed in my first ever Half-Marathon.

I did it in 1hr 49mins and 10secs (official)

It's the farthest I have ever run and I'm chuffed to bits that I finished in such a respectable time. I came 862nd in a field of 2097.

So, the question is, what is the proudest you have ever been of yourself?

Can I just say I have deliberately excluded childbirth and marriage, as any two-bit chav can do THAT! :twisted:
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:53 pm

Well done mate, doing the Great North Run in October so I'll try to beat your time, though no idea what time I'm looking at, not started training yet.

For me I guess I have to say =6th place in the under 12 British Chess Championships...
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:57 pm

Athers wrote:Well done mate, doing the Great North Run in October so I'll try to beat your time, though no idea what time I'm looking at, not started training yet.

For me I guess I have to say =6th place in the under 12 British Chess Championships...

If it's you first half marathon, you should cast aside thoughts of beating that time unless you already do quite a bit of running.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:04 pm

communistworkethic wrote:
Athers wrote:Well done mate, doing the Great North Run in October so I'll try to beat your time, though no idea what time I'm looking at, not started training yet.

If it's you first half marathon, you should cast aside thoughts of beating that time unless you already do quite a bit of running.
Got to agree with Commie. I've been building up with 5k, 10k and 10 mile runs for the last 12 months (aiming for the London Marathon next year)

Athers
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Athers » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:12 pm

Well Chris Moyles did 2 hours so I have to beat him anyway!
http://www.twitter.com/dan_athers" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Athers wrote:Well Chris Moyles did 2 hours so I have to beat him anyway!
I hope you do, and sorry if my first post seemed patronising. Wasn't meant to.

Can't believe that fat tw*t did 2 hours :shock:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:46 pm

enfieldwhite wrote:
Athers wrote:Well Chris Moyles did 2 hours so I have to beat him anyway!
I hope you do, and sorry if my first post seemed patronising. Wasn't meant to.

Can't believe that fat tw*t did 2 hours :shock:
His website claims that in 2001 he lost 3 stone and ran 1hr 57, yet the 2005 race saw him as a "walking" entrant.

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:50 pm

Well done enfield :) that's a quality time - I did my first one last year and did it in around 1.55; got a half marathon next sunday with an aim of breaking 1.50

in terms of finest moments, that is up there. I think my other finest was when I was about 11. I was picked for the Bolton to play rugby before the GB v NZ test match at the Reebok against Bury. It wasn't particular glamourous, I think I can remember the touchlines being marked out with cones and them bringing on mini goal posts whenever there was a conversion! Either way, I just appreciated playing on the hallowed turf with a decentish crowd out there.

Incidentally, we won, with me making a try-saving tackle at the death :wink:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Batman

Post by Batman » Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:56 pm

A little bit geeky, but coming out top in the country in my English course back at college.

Where did it all go wrong?

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:28 pm

For an individual athletic event, it would be a bronze in the Canadian Ski marathon (X-country) in which I did approximately 100 kms in two days. Never been so knackered in my life. However, I suppose there were other more meaningful non-athletic achievements in my life.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

marshall_42
Promising
Promising

Post by marshall_42 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:32 pm

My finest hour....hasn't come yet.

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army
Legend
Legend

Post by Soldier_Of_The_White_Army » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:43 pm

Mmmmm.......

Fighting alongside the SAS in Siera Leone, just beats seeing my novel in the Reebok shop.

Just.

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:59 pm

Soldier_Of_The_White_Army wrote:Mmmmm.......

Fighting alongside the SAS in Siera Leone, just beats seeing my novel in the Reebok shop.

Just.
May as well lock the thread now...how can anyone top those two?
They certainly make my achievement of eating a full tube of Pringles in less than five minutes seem pathetic by comparision. :wink:
Businesswoman of the year.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:01 pm

Well, seeing as Monty has started the 'oldies' section, I'd best put in my own. I'm sure it's been mentioned on here somewhere before.

<boast> Winning the Sprite Car Club of Australia annual rally in '67. This was a two day event, the first day being a rally - the old style - with check points and the like and which finished at some ridiculous hour (we turned up at about midnight) in front of the studio of a local radio station (2SM) which was covering the event. I assume it also sponsored it in other ways, but I'm not too sure. The second day - no sleep given the timing - was a gymkhana type affair with all the usual silly challenges that such present to drivers and their steeds. My brother was the navigator of our duo whilst I did the steering. He is/was a great navigator and I have often wondered how he would have performed in a more professional role. </boast>
Last edited by Dujon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Getting my MA this year after leaving school with one paltry CSE is the highpoint for me... thus far.

spraggy
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by spraggy » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:08 pm

Did the London Marathon in 2005 - 4h 41 mins. The most amazing experience and felt very proud of myself (and I still take every available opportunity to remind people of the occasion!). The only serious run of any kind that I've ever done.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:18 pm

Nice one Enfield - I'd struggle to run for a bus these days :oops:

My crowning glory was captaining my college U19 basketball team (just turned 17) to the National final. Just missed out by 5 points in the end against a much bigger and skilful side. Was a great day, the whole crowd were singing for us and I even managed some moves that Mr Jordan would have been quite please with :mrgreen:

EDIT: and drank the town dry afterwards :pissed:

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:21 pm

8am -9am

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:28 pm

Standing around the town hall square at 18 years old with no voice and tears and actually seeing the FA.Cup in Bolton hands. Priceless, utterly priceless.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

David Lee's Hair
Passionate
Passionate

Post by David Lee's Hair » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:46 pm

communistworkethic wrote:8am -9am
:lol: