Drums

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

jordAn.WS22
Hopeful
Hopeful

Drums

Post by jordAn.WS22 » Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:53 pm

As a drummer, Ive always been interested in whether non-drummers actually recognise an awesome beat when they hear one, whats the best beat in a song you've ever heard?

The ones that come to the top of my head, View from the Afternoon by Arctic Monkeys, Stockholm Syndrome - Milburn.
Sorry that they're a bit recent, but I'm young!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:07 pm

Johnny Was - Stiff Little Fingers

Porrohman - Big Country.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Re: Drums

Post by Verbal » Mon Mar 03, 2008 11:24 pm

jordAn.WS22 wrote:As a drummer, Ive always been interested in whether non-drummers actually recognise an awesome beat when they hear one, whats the best beat in a song you've ever heard?

The ones that come to the top of my head, View from the Afternoon by Arctic Monkeys, Stockholm Syndrome - Milburn.
Surely you're still old enough to know Stockholm Syndrome is by Muse though? :wink:

For me...um gimme some time to think.

The Futureheads - Decent Days and Nights

TV On The Radio - Method
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:29 am

tv on the radio yes yes yes

last 3 minutes of Sleep by godspeed you black emporer is just amazing. really works because of the juxtaposition of that with violins and shit, not so much being a kickass beat.

like eating glass by bloc party got a good intro to keep with your indie theme, anything by rush has shit hot drums (seriously, as a drummer, you should aspire to be neil peart. i mean this wholeheartedly, young 'un. he is without a doubt one of the best drummers in the world, aside from maybe ginger baker or bonham. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuOTkrEVeb4 - point proven)

lateralus by tool - some really complex time sigs in the song, but amazing stuff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbFrl9wLBA

oh and thomas pridgen, drummer for the mars volta - the guys a fecking machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cnhaPgZ04, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyQv5HfBPzw

i seriously think if the best you can come up with is a muse cover and the arctic sodding monkeys, you really need to get out there and admire some amazing drummers.

again, i CANNOT stress enough - NEIL PEART

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:42 am

runningonbravado wrote:tv on the radio yes yes yes

last 3 minutes of Sleep by godspeed you black emporer is just amazing. really works because of the juxtaposition of that with violins and shit, not so much being a kickass beat.

like eating glass by bloc party got a good intro to keep with your indie theme, anything by rush has shit hot drums (seriously, as a drummer, you should aspire to be neil peart. i mean this wholeheartedly, young 'un. he is without a doubt one of the best drummers in the world, aside from maybe ginger baker or bonham. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuOTkrEVeb4 - point proven)

lateralus by tool - some really complex time sigs in the song, but amazing stuff - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVbFrl9wLBA

oh and thomas pridgen, drummer for the mars volta - the guys a fecking machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_cnhaPgZ04, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyQv5HfBPzw

i seriously think if the best you can come up with is a muse cover and the arctic sodding monkeys, you really need to get out there and admire some amazing drummers.

The Professor.

Love a really heavy drum beat so:

John Bonham, Keith Moon, Cozy Powell, Buddy Rich and Bill Ward loom large when I think of drums.

1 single track? Moby Dick Led Zeppelin
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:47 am

wow, my language!

When The Levee Breaks by Led Zeppelin is some funky radical shit, make me groove all night long. Same for The Wanton Song off Physical Graffiti.

My favourite drummers are as follows (in no particular order):
Bonzo Bonham
Bill Bruford
Billy Cobham
Stewart Copeland
Danny Carey
Tony Williams
Ian Paice

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:00 am

The Smiths - The Queen Is Dead

song, not album
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:43 am

runningonbravado wrote:

Neil Peart - great drummer - Rush, dull band.

Otherwise I agree with runningbravado, although he may not agree with me :wink:

I'm a big drums fan, love bands that go with two drummers, which is admittedly rare. Great drum tracks though:

Running Free - Iron Maiden
Beautiful People - Marilyn Manson
Light in the Black - Rainbow
Kill the king - Rainbow
Long Live Rock n Roll - Rainbow
No-one knows - Queens of the Stone Age

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:57 am

You want drumming, listen to Kenny Johns with Louis Armstrong's All Stars, doing "Basin Street Blues". Man, that's drumming. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:31 pm

as a big strokes fan i can't really say i can spot decent drumming :D fab just taps away bless him

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:38 pm

Drake's drum in 1588 - beat those Spaniards worse than we did.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dr Hotdog
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Dr Hotdog » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:40 pm

fatshaft wrote:Neil Peart - great drummer - Rush, dull band.
:shock: :shock:

runningonbravado
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by runningonbravado » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:00 pm

Dr Hotdog wrote:

afraid i had a similar reaction fatshaft. how on EARTH are they dull?!

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:29 pm

runningonbravado wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:

Knew you would. they just do nothing at all for me, I bought 2112 back in the day (their best?) but I'm sorry, it just goes on and on and on for me. And don't get me started on Geddy Lee's voice.

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:54 pm

fatshaft wrote:
runningonbravado wrote:
Dr Hotdog wrote:

Knew you would. they just do nothing at all for me, I bought 2112 back in the day (their best?) but I'm sorry, it just goes on and on and on for me. And don't get me started on Geddy Lee's voice.
You see, some get it, and some don't. I'm not having a pop Fatshaft, I genuinely understand your lack of enthusiasm for Rush. It has happened to so many of my friends who love rock music, but can't stand the pretentious squealing of the Canadian sound meisters. However, 2112 is not dull, it is iconic in it's unusualness. I genuinely love this album and yet most of the rest of their product leaves me cold.

Marmite. That debate's got nowt on this!
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

americantrotter
Passionate
Passionate

Post by americantrotter » Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:57 pm

Love a good beat. It all depends on what you like though doesnt it?

I mean I played in a marching band. So I like cadances and drumlines. I am a huge rock fan, but I also like rap.

One of my favorite songs is alive by pearl jam, I love the drumming and how it completes the whole song. One of my favorite drummers is the guy from 311.

jordAn.WS22
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by jordAn.WS22 » Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:56 pm

Neil Peart, yeh I know, my God, his rudiments are i must admit, ridiculously fast, but most of his appeal is largely down to his unbelievable kit, I dunno how to compete with that!

I mean besides the obvious, Keith Moon, Travis Barker, Buddy Rich, in my opinion, Matt Helders (Arctic Monkeys) is simply awesome at writing beats that fit and complete the songs. But I must say, has anyone seen Pharrell drum? You know the knob from N.E.R.D who's gone solo, also amazing.

If you share an interest, make sure you check out "Vadrum" type it in Youtube or summink, he writes beats for songs like the Mario themetune etc. He's incredible.

communistworkethic
Legend
Legend

Post by communistworkethic » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:03 pm

jordAn.WS22 wrote:As a drummer, Ive always been interested in whether non-drummers actually recognise an awesome beat when they hear one, whats the best beat in a song you've ever heard?

no we don't and if you're that little c*nt that lives next door to me I'm coming round to break your fingers and debone your dog if I can't hear the TV for your fecking drums once more. :evil:
Last edited by communistworkethic on Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely

kevin nolan is so fat, that when he sits around the house he sits around the house

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:35 pm

Sisters Of Mercy - awesome drumming

fatshaft
Passionate
Passionate

Post by fatshaft » Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:46 pm

communistworkethic wrote:

no we don't and if you're that little c*nt that lives next door to me I'm coming round to break your fingers and debone your dog if I can't hear the TV for your fecking drums once more. :evil:
:lmfao: