What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:55 am

Watched a couple of belting films over the weekend.

The first one was a Mark Commode reco: Mustang. It's in Turkis and has subtitles (so Borris'll have already seen it ;) ) About 5 orphaned Turkish sisters being raised in a remote village by their grandmother and increasingly strict uncle. The story is told by the youngest girl as she watches her sisters one by one either acquiesce or rebel against what's expected of them.

The other, I think, may have been a reco off of here. Wild, with Reece Witherspoon. Tired of life she walks 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. The story of the walk alone is good, but she uses the time to refelct on her rather eventful life.

Definitely recommend both to the house.
May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend
Posts: 6335
Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:15 pm

not seen Mustang but remember MK raving about it!!

i have mostly been watching old episodes of Still Game! but cannot wait for Westworld tonight!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2869
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:Watched a couple of belting films over the weekend.

The first one was a Mark Commode reco: Mustang. It's in Turkis and has subtitles (so Borris'll have already seen it ;) ) About 5 orphaned Turkish sisters being raised in a remote village by their grandmother and increasingly strict uncle. The story is told by the youngest girl as she watches her sisters one by one either acquiesce or rebel against what's expected of them.

The other, I think, may have been a reco off of here. Wild, with Reece Witherspoon. Tired of life she walks 1,100 miles of the Pacific Crest Trail. The story of the walk alone is good, but she uses the time to refelct on her rather eventful life.

Definitely recommend both to the house.
She gets her kit off too, which will no doubt please Hoboh! :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:32 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:not seen Mustang but remember MK raving about it!!
I've described it as best I can without spoiling any of it. Definitely one for your list, GM.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:42 am

On their way from LF are - A Pigeon Sat on a Branch Reflecting on Existence (reco'd by both Beefheart and a colleague) and also Youth, a 2015 film with Michael Caine and Havey Keitel, which I'm looking forward to.
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38521
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:47 pm

Strictly Come Dancing?...Not even close.... :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4WnunD ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:55 pm

Started 'Making a murderer' this week. Finished it on binge watching this weekend. Fookin ell. Gripping stuff.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3554
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:Started 'Making a murderer' this week. Finished it on binge watching this weekend. Fookin ell. Gripping stuff.
I enjoyed that series. How the hell could they convict someone on such flimsy 'evidence' and then keep him there? Scary stuff.

The story moved on a bit a couple of months ago when Brendan Dassey's conviction was overturned and released. Yet Dassey's coerced statement was pretty much the only thing that got Steven Avery a guilty verdict. Strange case.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7207
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:48 pm

malcd1 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Started 'Making a murderer' this week. Finished it on binge watching this weekend. Fookin ell. Gripping stuff.
I enjoyed that series. How the hell could they convict someone on such flimsy 'evidence' and then keep him there? Scary stuff.

The story moved on a bit a couple of months ago when Brendan Dassey's conviction was overturned and released. Yet Dassey's coerced statement was pretty much the only thing that got Steven Avery a guilty verdict. Strange case.
Brendan Dassey has been released? I understood he was still inside pending the state appealing the federal court, no?

Rarely has a programme made me so angry and had me shouting at the box like that did!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3554
Joined: Tue May 03, 2005 5:33 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by malcd1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
malcd1 wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:Started 'Making a murderer' this week. Finished it on binge watching this weekend. Fookin ell. Gripping stuff.
I enjoyed that series. How the hell could they convict someone on such flimsy 'evidence' and then keep him there? Scary stuff.

The story moved on a bit a couple of months ago when Brendan Dassey's conviction was overturned and released. Yet Dassey's coerced statement was pretty much the only thing that got Steven Avery a guilty verdict. Strange case.
Brendan Dassey has been released? I understood he was still inside pending the state appealing the federal court, no?

Rarely has a programme made me so angry and had me shouting at the box like that did!
I could have sworn he'd been released but on Wiki it states:

"Dassey's conviction was overturned by US Magistrate Judge William E. Duffin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin on August 12, 2016, on the basis that his confession was involuntary and unconstitutionally coerced. He was ordered to be released within 90 days unless the state decides to retry him.".

He should be released in November unless the state decide to retry him.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38521
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:29 am

Got the chance to see (against my better judgement) the new Jack Reacher film. I'd advise not to bother for what it's worth. Even ignoring the total mis-match of Tom Crusie, it's just a hotchpotch of ideas/plot clips from Jason Bourne and James Bond films. By buying up the rights to appear in all future Reacher films, all Tom Cruise has done is prevent anyone else (more suited) from taking the role. As I said, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Not the Jack Reacher of the books at all.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35901
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:34 am

Watched the aforementioned Youth, a 2015 film with Michael Caine and Havey Keitel, last night. Very enjoyable indeed.
May the bridges I burn light your way

clapton is god
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2376
Joined: Sat Aug 06, 2005 8:55 pm
Location: Worryingly close to Old Tr*fford.
Contact:

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by clapton is god » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:28 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Got the chance to see (against my better judgement) the new Jack Reacher film. I'd advise not to bother for what it's worth. Even ignoring the total mis-match of Tom Crusie, it's just a hotchpotch of ideas/plot clips from Jason Bourne and James Bond films. By buying up the rights to appear in all future Reacher films, all Tom Cruise has done is prevent anyone else (more suited) from taking the role. As I said, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Not the Jack Reacher of the books at all.
We saw it last Friday. As we came out I was just opening my mouth to say 'That was awful!' when Mrs C said 'That was excellent!' Horses for courses, I suppose, but I agree totally with what you say there, TD. The continuity was very poor too and I noticed several errors. Poor all round, I thought. Stick to the books.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8233
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:08 pm
Location: Enfield

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:14 am

clapton is god wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Got the chance to see (against my better judgement) the new Jack Reacher film. I'd advise not to bother for what it's worth. Even ignoring the total mis-match of Tom Crusie, it's just a hotchpotch of ideas/plot clips from Jason Bourne and James Bond films. By buying up the rights to appear in all future Reacher films, all Tom Cruise has done is prevent anyone else (more suited) from taking the role. As I said, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Not the Jack Reacher of the books at all.
We saw it last Friday. As we came out I was just opening my mouth to say 'That was awful!' when Mrs C said 'That was excellent!' Horses for courses, I suppose, but I agree totally with what you say there, TD. The continuity was very poor too and I noticed several errors. Poor all round, I thought. Stick to the books.

Saw it last week (Wednesday). It was okay in a kind of rollalong action movie shoot 'em up type thing but, having just started reading the novels myself (nearly finished Killing Floor) I have to agree that Cruise is the least likely Jack Reacher there'll ever be.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Got the chance to see (against my better judgement) the new Jack Reacher film. I'd advise not to bother for what it's worth. Even ignoring the total mis-match of Tom Crusie, it's just a hotchpotch of ideas/plot clips from Jason Bourne and James Bond films. By buying up the rights to appear in all future Reacher films, all Tom Cruise has done is prevent anyone else (more suited) from taking the role. As I said, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Not the Jack Reacher of the books at all.
I enjoyed the last one... If it's the same kind of gun slinging, punch throwing fun, then I'll be happy with it. Agree on the casting, but Cruise is good for action films, regardless if he should be 6'7 and 20 stone or not
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38521
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:52 pm

boltonboris wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Got the chance to see (against my better judgement) the new Jack Reacher film. I'd advise not to bother for what it's worth. Even ignoring the total mis-match of Tom Crusie, it's just a hotchpotch of ideas/plot clips from Jason Bourne and James Bond films. By buying up the rights to appear in all future Reacher films, all Tom Cruise has done is prevent anyone else (more suited) from taking the role. As I said, I wouldn't bother if I were you. Not the Jack Reacher of the books at all.
I enjoyed the last one... If it's the same kind of gun slinging, punch throwing fun, then I'll be happy with it. Agree on the casting, but Cruise is good for action films, regardless if he should be 6'7 and 20 stone or not
I'll readily agree Cruise is both a good actor and does a lot of his own stunts. He was excellent in "The Last Samurai", top class in fact. Had this film not been about a character many of us know very well, fair enough, a decent enough film. My particular beef is why he had to take on as well known a character as Reacher as opposed to half a hundred other action options he could have taken. I've read all Lee Child's book, some more than once. Tom Cruise isn't in any of them..... :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8177
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:01 pm

It's a vanity project by Cruise. Wishes he were 6ft5 and built like a brick shithouse and has the money to pretend it's true.
First film was fine as a standalone action film if you've not read the books. 2nd will be the same I imagine.
...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:23 pm

See I had read the books, had heard the negativity about Cruise being cast(ed?), but still enjoyed it. It's just good fun.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8177
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:25 pm

boltonboris wrote:See I had read the books, had heard the negativity about Cruise being cast(ed?), but still enjoyed it. It's just good fun.
Fair enough. I quite enjoyed it too, especially the lurrrvvely Pike, but it still rankles. Cruise is very good in lots of things but irritates me generally.
...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12994
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by boltonboris » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:40 pm

I'll certainly be more peeved if Idris Elba gets the part of James Bond!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests