What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:46 pm

You and me, both.

It has absolutely no mitigating features either. It's not like it's mainly bad with the odd moment, or a decent character, or that it's experimental and challenging. It's just....bad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:01 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:in stark contrast to La La Land, i noticed I Daniel Blake was finally 'available' to watch last night. been desperate to see it so i stopped what i was doing and stuck it on.

In a word, grim! classic Ken Loach, masterclass in acting, political, powerful, moving with a tiny dash of laughs. top film. no anamorphic colour palettes or huge dance numbers on an LA flyover here!
Absolutely nailed it there, General. I believe that the Foodbank scene even had one 50 year old, 6'2" 100 Kg bloke blubbing in the cinema. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Jan 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:in stark contrast to La La Land, i noticed I Daniel Blake was finally 'available' to watch last night. been desperate to see it so i stopped what i was doing and stuck it on.

In a word, grim! classic Ken Loach, masterclass in acting, political, powerful, moving with a tiny dash of laughs. top film. no anamorphic colour palettes or huge dance numbers on an LA flyover here!
Feels wrong saying it since it was so grim, but I loved it. Loach has it absolutely on the money. First film in 2017 to make me cry :oops:
What made you cry in 2016, other than the bill at that chippy? :laugh:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jan 26, 2017 11:34 pm

Watched Martin Scoercese's Silence a lengthy and harrowing drama set in 17th century Japan. The theme is religious and based on man's inhumanity to his fellow men. I enjoyed it but not sure it's for everybody. Adrew Garfield, Liam Neeson and Ciaran Hinds are among a mainly Japanes cast. A serious film...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:33 am

T2 is great. nostalgic but not sentimental, hilarious return. none of the energy or impact you got when the first one came out but absolutely nothing detrimental to the original. trying to think of a better sequel..? soundtrack is quality too!!

Trainspotting was my era. when we were starting to go out drinking, meeting girls, getting into scrapes, we all had the poster on our walls and the CD in the stereo, went round quoting Begby and injecting scag... ok so not the last bit, which was quite possibly thanks to the film too!! Vejazzling! :mrgreen:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:51 am

Not tonight - March 16, Dave Hause at the Garage. First time he's been over since I saw him on the revival tour. Went to that well up for Chuck Ragan, Dan Andriano and Brian Fallon but was blown away by the guy I'd never heard of. One of the best voices I've ever heard. I assume he's playing somewhere in Manny, I'd get on it.

In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:31 pm

Please put this in the "Sometime in a bit" thread. :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:31 pm

Watched the David Brent life on the road film last night. Very disappointing. Gervais did 12 episodes of The office to mirror Fawlty Towers appeal and quit while you're ahead. A 2 part Christmas special was great but he really should have stopped there imo. The jokes felt over egged and apart from 1 laugh out loud moment, the rest was just mild amusement. Even the cringe moments, done so well in the original series were pretty lame
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:10 am

the thing that bugged me about that was how nasty everyone was with him (Brent) he's a wally but he's not done anything wrong really, im sure most people would be more tolerable. I just wanted David to tell them to eff off!! Still, i quite enjoyed it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:06 am

I just ended up feeling really sorry for the character, who ended up, essentially, being the victim of bullies.
May the bridges I burn light your way

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:35 am

went to see Hacksaw Ridge. blimey! if you can last through the first hour of schmaltzy nonsense in build up to him going to war, your in for the most intense, brutal, gory, incessantly violent battle scenes you will ever see! definitely one for the BIG screen.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:42 pm

Just watched a program called 'Roots' on BBC4 shocking, don't know if its been on before, part 2 next Wednesday

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:52 am

Hoboh wrote:Just watched a program called 'Roots' on BBC4 shocking, don't know if its been on before, part 2 next Wednesday
The original was out in the mid-late 70's...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:Just watched a program called 'Roots' on BBC4 shocking, don't know if its been on before, part 2 next Wednesday
He's got to be joking! Can't be anyone alive and well in the 1970s who didn't know who Kunta Kinte.and Chicken George were :shock:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
He's got to be joking! Can't be anyone alive and well in the 1970s who didn't know who Kunta Kinte.and Chicken George were :shock:
I sorta wondered that too...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Was busy in clubs and bars then :oops:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:51 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Mustn't have read "Mandingo" either. :wink:

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:26 pm

Kunta Kinte is quoted in Coming to America by the old Jew in the barbers. ive always wondered what it meant!!

jonnycooper
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by jonnycooper » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

Absolutely nailed it there, General. I believe that the Foodbank scene even had one 50 year old, 6'2" 100 Kg bloke blubbing in the cinema. ;)
Watched this last night!! Have to agree,foodbank scene is indeed upsetting! Another Ken Loach masterpiece !

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Don't have Sky and nothing I really fancied elsewhere so I put the D.V.D on of Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy..
While since I watched it, but always quality.