What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 08, 2022 3:25 pm

Mea Culpa for the poster error. I should have read it properly. As to the rest, I also am many times a grandparent, even got a few great grand-children, so my point was clear that the law makes no exceptions for gender or religion and thus is the best impartial way to go. In that, no one should be excused. The rest, as I made clear, was my opinion only. See it as you will.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed May 25, 2022 10:54 am

Now, I'm fully aware as to how people's opinion of Ricky Gervais' stand-up (or indeed, Ricky Gervais generally) can divide a room, so I'll say up front that I'm quite a fan of his. I managed to get tickets to see him do his Politics show at the Opera House back in 2004, and it was without doubt one of the most brilliantly funny routines I've ever seen. Eye-wateringly so.

So, last night we watched his latest Netflix offering, 'Super Nature', and I'm sorry to report that I really have watched it so that you don't have to.

I mean, if you're up for an hour's worth of a guy justifying his act in the face of 'cancel culture', having a pop at the transgender community and reminding you as to how fabulously wealthy he is then go for it.
However, if, like me, you're hoping for razor-sharp wit and acute observations, then also like me, you'll probably feel more than a little disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, there are a few laugh-out-load moments, but in 64 minutes worth of material, not nearly enough. Not for me anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 25, 2022 1:27 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:41 pm
The Catholic church knew at the highest levels of sexual abuse, and didn't just do nothing but actively helped them avoid justice. If only there was such a thing as hell, there'd be plenty of the feck* burning.
With no intent to start a major religious debate again ( but as there's no football right now) please keep in mind that The Catholic Church didn't help them avoid justice, but just wasn't seen to act for two reasons, both governed by belief in God (making this a pointless argument anyway because of belief versus apostacy) There is also the fact that the sinner must live with his sins all his life in the eyes of The Church .

1. "Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Lord, and eventually they will be punished in the after-life. The Pope cannot play God; he must exercise the fact that, even as the earthly William Shakespeare stated, "The quality of mercy is not strained" and must be freely given so as to make it feasible. The relevant point being that we are talking of religion and belief on which The Catholic Church is founded. This governs what The Pope can and cannot do in an earthly action without attacking a spiritual belief.

2. The Pope is not beyond the law which, if a crime is seen to be committed and no action taken, is omission by that very law and not the Catholic Church. If the law insist on matters material,then it must apply regardless of all else. I confess to being slightly bewildered as to why the Holy Father didn't explain this, but then again, non-believers probably wouldn't accept it anyway.

Peace be with you, Amen. :wink:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 25, 2022 2:03 pm

Turning a blind eye would be bad enough but they did *actively* help them avoid justice, right up to the highest levels. The office of Joseph Ratzinger (as was) refused to help police investigations, blocked internal investigations and was aware of and condoned "parish transfers" where priests who had sexually abused children were quietly moved to new parishes.

The Vatican's laughable response to this has been to claim that they were unaware on the dangers of moving priests to new parishes and concealing the abuse.

They go on to abuse again under their fresh start?! A spokesman for the Vatican said "tHiS wAs ThE oNe ThINg wE dId NoT wAnT tO HapPeN"

Cardinal Ratzinger of course was heavily punished for his own involvement.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 25, 2022 3:23 pm

Currently, the now" Pope Francis has taken steps to stop sexual abuse and its cover-up within the church. In 2019, he ordered a four-day summit of almost 200 church leaders plus Vatican officials and experts to discuss ways of dealing with the crisis. The following year, he restated his “commitment of the church to eradicate this evil”.

Cardinal Razinger (who was formally Pope Benedict) now deceased, was removed from his position as Pope and confined to The Vatican till he died at 94 ( edit error; he is still alive and his brother was the one who died) for his failures to deal with the matter.. There is little doubt he was weak and did not behave in a correct fashion, but he was despite his position,one man and not The Catholic Church. It would seem that very few of the world's 2.3 billion Christians believe otherwise or they would abandon the faith.

I am in no way denying the severity of sexual abuse against any member of the public, particularly children, (I was eight years an Altar Boy in The Catholic Church without ever hearing the subject mentioned) religious or otherwise,and hope the perpetrators are caught and heavily punished. I purely object to the idea that Catholic priests are somehow saints and not subject to human feelings and failings and should be "witch-hunted" in general because of the few. . For that, religion matters not and the law is the law.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm

I don't know if you have the inside track but as far as I know Ratzinger is still alive.

He certainly wasn't removed for his failure to deal with it, he resigned due to ill-health.

Pope Francis has had his finger in the pie too, and involved in sheltering priests accused of abuse.

Good of him to organise a 2019 conference though. That's only 30 years after the first widespread allegations, and 17 years after worldwide, widespread reports. The Catholic church has paid out an estimated $2.6 billion, billion with a 'b', in settlements to victims of sexual abuse, and the Vatican admitted to having a backlog of 2,000 cases being investigated. Two thousand! As St. Anthony supposedly said, "actions speak louder than words".

Of course it's not all priests, and certainly not all Catholics, but it's a vast, vast number of priests. And the institution of the Catholic church (i.e. senior figures in the Vatican) have been disgracefully complicit in hiding it and protecting the perpetrators, including the last three popes personally. I don't believe any true Catholic, including yourself, can see that as anything other than the outrage which it is. The big man has been woefully let down by his Bishops.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 25, 2022 5:25 pm

Matthew 5:29 "And if thy right eye offend thee, pluck it out, and cast it from thee: for it is profitable for thee that one of thy members should perish, and not that thy whole body should be cast into hell"

Get plucking.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed May 25, 2022 5:40 pm

The best time to start plucking is thirty years ago. The second best time to start plucking is n... OK, 20 years ago. Whatever, the best available time to start plucking is now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed May 25, 2022 5:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 5:40 pm
The best time to start plucking is thirty years ago. The second best time to start plucking is n... OK, 20 years ago. Whatever, the best available time to start plucking is now.
Aye but 30 years ago, they were turning blind eyes, rather than plucking non-conforming orbs.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed May 25, 2022 9:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 4:24 pm
I don't know if you have the inside track but as far as I know Ratzinger is still alive.
Total apology there. It was his brother Georg Ratzinger who died. The ex Pope is 93 and still alive, but as far as I know, confined in the Vatican. The rest about him and the scandal is purely what I read and regardlessly, related to Germany. The sins are no less whoever and wherever they are committed and the sinners don't all wear frocks. Er....

As I said earlier, you will believe what you will believe.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:54 am

The Queens Jubilee Pageant? Whoever organised that deserves a knighthood. Like it/agree with it, or no, it was an amazing achievement.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:06 pm

Free speech etc...Seems the right to watch,see (or not) what you wish isn't comprehensive in Bolton then.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/20 ... m-protest/

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:14 pm

T'was ever thus. I recall the "outcry" around The Life of Brian....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:13 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:14 pm
I don't watch a lot of film or T.V these days, and I have no desire to see this Muslim historical drama. If I had, I'd like the option of choice, not to be told otherwise by religious bullies. Are we really a free country? It seems not.

Out of this country, how awful is this?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-61707872

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:03 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I don't watch a lot of film or T.V these days, and I have no desire to see this Muslim historical drama. If I had, I'd like the option of choice, not to be told otherwise by religious bullies. Are we really a free country? It seems not.

That was the point I was making too, TD. Whilst the Life of Brian was on general release, there was a whole host of pressure from the Catholic church being religious bullies (there were people I knew at the time banned from prayer groups, because they'd owned up to going and seeing it - they would have been about 15 years old at the time). It was banned in Ireland for example and by a number of UK local licensing authorities. That was in 1979. Not sure how it's much different?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:19 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:03 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jun 06, 2022 11:13 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

That was the point I was making too, TD. Whilst the Life of Brian was on general release, there was a whole host of pressure from the Catholic church being religious bullies (there were people I knew at the time banned from prayer groups, because they'd owned up to going and seeing it - they would have been about 15 years old at the time). It was banned in Ireland for example and by a number of UK local licensing authorities. That was in 1979. Not sure how it's much different?
Agreed. It isn't the religion that's the issue, but the freedom of choice; of being able to decide your own spiritual beliefs and destiny. Bullying of any denomination is cowardice of the worst form. You would think religion would be immune from it. I think film makers have caught a cold here, but for me, a long held belief is that religion isn't really at the heart of any of it. Greed, power and the desire to dominate is the real villain however much you claim heavenly support. Quite what part guns and swords and killing innocents have in it is beyond me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 07, 2022 9:59 am

Life of Brian aside, these "controversial" films are always, without fail, absolutely dire (you might say squalid and tenth rate). And the daft bastards go and Streisand Effect them :lol:

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Jun 07, 2022 10:26 am

The Boys, S3
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 07, 2022 12:20 pm

A much more serious religious war is taking place in India and UAE countries. The remarks of an Indian woman have led to angry exchanges between Muslims and Hindus. This has grown into a major issue.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-61701908

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 15, 2022 12:04 pm

I watched the Mo Farah documentary last night. Now, I'm aware that people won't have watched it yet so don't intend to spoil it, however, for me anyway, it raised a lot more questions than it gave answers.
May the bridges I burn light your way