What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:17 pm

Puskas wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Masterpieces are those films you see at places like the Cornerhouse in Manchester.
I have to disagree.
A masterpiece would be a film in which Kate Beckinsale, clad in a skin-tight black PVC catsuit, plays a renegade vampire ninja who gets thrown together with a couple of ex-Special Forces agents (Steven Segal and Bruce Campbell) whilst fighting zombies. On Mars. With chainsaws.

And Kate would ride around on a giant leopard called Nigel.

Now that would be a masterpiece.

Any film producer types on this board who wish to contact me for the full screenplay, please PM me....
Sounds good. Not sure about the giant leopard called Nigel though. Also needs the addition of Bruce Campbell somewhere and a cameo from The Thing (Carpenter version) and a possessed spaceship.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:22 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:
It without doubt a very enjoyable flick, but its not the amazing picture everyone keeps going on about, - I mean for starters, how come all these ‘slumdogs’ can speak English so well? I know its for western audiences, but why mix it up then? It would have been for more realistic if it was all subtitled, or no sub at all. But apart from all that this boring love story and awful cliché ending totally spoilt it for me. Id have scrapped all that to try and give the viewer a more emotional attachment to the main characters. I mean, when his brother is murdered you don’t feel any emotion, you don’t feel any emotion when he kills the mafia bloke – and you don’t even have any emotion when Jamal finally traps off with Latika. You just think, ‘uh, what a surprise’… yawn.

Not only was the ending clichéd, its also ridiculous – how long have you heard Chris Tarrant hang on for the phone a friend to pick up? And the whole country is watching this kid on tv, (all the slumdogs suddenly have tv’s btw!?), then and hour later this mega famous millionaire is sat on a train station floor totally unnoticed! / whats all that about?

Its not that any of these things make it a bad film, its just they stop it from being the masterpiece everyone claims it is.
Masterpieces are those films you see at places like the Cornerhouse in Manchester. This is box-office high budget stuff designed to appeal to a wide section of Joe public. Subtitles would put a lot of people off (not me, with my hearing I love em)
and English is so widely used now that using it made sense. Feel-good movies, however unrealistic, are what the bulk of people want to see. That's what this is, serious undertones or no.
yes, as i said - i understand its made for western audiences - but there is still something like 20% of the dialougue in jingo jambo with english subs!? just another thing that i could not understand the point of, make it all one or the other.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:36 pm

It already has Bruce Campbell in it...

And leopards are good. I'll have nothing said against leopards.

But I like your Thing and possessed spaceship ideas.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Puskas wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote: Masterpieces are those films you see at places like the Cornerhouse in Manchester.
I have to disagree.
A masterpiece would be a film in which Kate Beckinsale, clad in a skin-tight black PVC catsuit, plays a renegade vampire ninja who gets thrown together with a couple of ex-Special Forces agents (Steven Segal and Bruce Campbell) whilst fighting zombies. On Mars. With chainsaws.

Any film producer types on this board who wish to contact me for the full screenplay, please PM me....
Sounds good. Not sure about the giant leopard called Nigel though. Also needs the addition of Bruce Campbell somewhere and a cameo from The Thing (Carpenter version) and a possessed spaceship.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:44 pm

Puskas wrote:It already has Bruce Campbell in it...

And leopards are good. I'll have nothing said against leopards.

But I like your Thing and possessed spaceship ideas.
superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Puskas wrote:
I have to disagree.

So it does. For some reason I thought I read Bruce Willis.

Puskas
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Puskas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:47 pm

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
So it does. For some reason I thought I read Bruce Willis.
Bruce Willis? Pah.

Meanwhile, this looks good. Although I've not seen it. Yet.
"People are crazy and times are strange
I’m locked in tight, I’m out of range
I used to care, but things have changed"

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:00 pm

Eagerly awaiting the new 'Watchmen' film

:D
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Puskas wrote:
I have to disagree.

And Kate would ride around on a giant leopard called Nigel.Now that would be a masterpiece.

:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Daxter
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Daxter » Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:01 pm

Slumdog was good, but 'The Wrestler' was much better IMO. Tremendous film and a shame Rourke didn't win the best actor at the oscars.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:49 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
I think the central love story is very hollow and contrived
Thought just the opposite.
Right! So in Farny it's quite the norm for a young scrote-do-well and to end up with the girl-turned-stunner that he'd befriended as a scrawney child and, that had then gone on to become the knockabout bint of a notorious crime-beneficiary?

Hmm. Yes, I suppose you're right! :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Tombwfc
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Tombwfc » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:47 am

Finished up watching 'The Shield' tonight, and holy feck, it was the perfect ending to one of the finest shows i've ever seen.

I need a new show to fill the gap in my life though, whats 'The Wire' like folks?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:50 am

Tombwfc wrote:Finished up watching 'The Shield' tonight, and holy feck, it was the perfect ending to one of the finest shows i've ever seen.

I need a new show to fill the gap in my life though, whats 'The Wire' like folks?
http://www.the-wanderer.co.uk/boards/vi ... hp?t=17191

Fooking mint. Buy the boxset, then lock yourself in a room and watch it. See you in about 4 weeks.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 am

Anyone caught any of Mad Men? It looks very well shot, quite sharp. Written by one of the peeps who wrote The Sopranos too. Any whoses, after The Wire, this is the next on the list.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
I think the central love story is very hollow and contrived, but I enjoyed the rest of the film. I quite like the idea of flashing back to the different points in somebody's life when they acquired these certain nuggets of knowledge....
Thought just the opposite. Something born of childhood and companionship and forging a lifetime bond was, in my view, far better a love story in the film than the modern "See somebody, fancy them, nip in the nearest empty room and rip each others clothes off for sex" type of so called love stories. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of the great historical love stories; Heloise and Abelard, Lovers of Terruel, Tristan and Isolde, Anthony and Cleopatra, Shah Jahan, etc etc. Even the great love stories of fiction, Jane Eyre-Rochester, Elizabeth Bennet-Darcy, Romeo-Juliet, all find more favour with me than their modern counterparts. Must be my age. :wink:
And I thought I was the one being old-fashioned by doubting the fact that they could fall in love having spent barely any time with each other, especially as adults!?
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:13 am

The whole message of SM is 'it is written'... but it does stretch credibility at times.

Not tonight, but next week: the first episode of 'Red Riding' based on the David Peace novels. Looks outstanding, with a great cast.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:45 am

ratbert wrote:Not tonight, but next week: the first episode of 'Red Riding' based on the David Peace novels. Looks outstanding, with a great cast.
Great writer, great cast, interesting topic - what can go wrong? Lots, but let's hope not.

Caught the last episode of Oz & James Drink to Britain last night, I do like those two old soaks.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:56 am

Am planning to watch 'Margaret' - a dramatization of Thatcher's last days in office this evening... should be interesting.
Last edited by mummywhycantieatcrayons on Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:02 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
I think the central love story is very hollow and contrived, but I enjoyed the rest of the film. I quite like the idea of flashing back to the different points in somebody's life when they acquired these certain nuggets of knowledge....
Thought just the opposite. Something born of childhood and companionship and forging a lifetime bond was, in my view, far better a love story in the film than the modern "See somebody, fancy them, nip in the nearest empty room and rip each others clothes off for sex" type of so called love stories. Maybe it's because I'm a fan of the great historical love stories; Heloise and Abelard, Lovers of Terruel, Tristan and Isolde, Anthony and Cleopatra, Shah Jahan, etc etc. Even the great love stories of fiction, Jane Eyre-Rochester, Elizabeth Bennet-Darcy, Romeo-Juliet, all find more favour with me than their modern counterparts. Must be my age. :wink:
And I thought I was the one being old-fashioned by doubting the fact that they could fall in love having spent barely any time with each other, especially as adults!?
Seems my views on love differ to those of others. Nothing unusual there. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:19 am

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:Am planning to watch 'Maragaret' - a dramatization of Thatcher's last days in office this evening... should be interesting.
I'd watch it too... but I can't get used to the idea of people from recent history being played by well-known actors. John Sessions as Geoffrey Howe!

warthog
Passionate
Passionate

Post by warthog » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:20 pm

Verbal wrote:Anyone caught any of Mad Men? It looks very well shot, quite sharp. Written by one of the peeps who wrote The Sopranos too. Any whoses, after The Wire, this is the next on the list.
It's the show I look forward to at the moment, although I had to wait until 12.50 am last night because of Michael Portillo's pointless documentary on the Conservative Party. Once again Portillo showed himself to be a preening, cowardly figure and a second rate thinker. He's a lumpen writer too. If the Labour Party has any sense it will use fragments of this programme in its election broadcasts. A creepier set of people you will not see.

Back to Madmen and it's similar to the Sopranos in that the characters are interesting rather than likeable and there's a bleakness that hangs over the whole thing. The depiction of how women were treated and how they allowed themselves to be treated is shocking too, given that it's set in a relatively recent time - the changes that took place starting in the mid-sixties start to become understandable. There's a real claustrophobic feel to it as well with few outdoor shots, and even they don't feel as if they are. Recommended, but there aren't many laughs.

That said I'd probably still watch it even if it was crap, just to look at January Jones and Christina Hendricks.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:53 pm

yeah, loved the first season of Madmen, got the dvd. brilliant show - and as warty says, exceptional blart on offer!