What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 14, 2009 1:58 pm

William the White wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: Anyway - The Octagon tonight.
Look forward to your views on Ghosts.
Me too, Bruce.
There isn't much that I can say about the story that hasn't been written already. It's still being played out today because it's as relevant now as it was when Ibsen wrote it in the late nineteenth century. I found it to be dark, thought-provoking, intense, surprisingly witty, captivating, and absolutely superb.

The cast, well, I'd pay to watch this group play the spoons. If there's a more natural actress than Margot Leicester then I'd love to know who she is. George Irving, as in All My Sons, plays a man hiding a truth-approaching-exposure behind his own authoritive standing absolutely brilliantly.
I think it says something about the level of performance that there was a school party sat directly behind us which, to a pupil, remained absolutely silent and sat still for the entire performance in a 'too warm' theatre.
If I did need to pick a hole in anything then it would be that Vanessa Kirby can't 'do' a northern accent for shite, but I'm being picky there.

I recommend anyone to go and see it, and I also urge everyone to see Margot Leicester in absolutely anything whenever they can.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:10 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote: . . . If I did need to pick a hole in anything then it would be that Vanessa Kirby can't 'do' a northern accent for shite, but I'm being picky there. . .

To me, Bruce Rioja, that's an interesting comment. It's the apparent requirement for actors to adopt some sort of pseudo accent when playing certain roles that bothers me. Why? Surely the content of the script and the setting in which such roles are set is enough without introducing to the audience a form of stilted, mangled and totally ridiculous artifact as seems to happen all too often.

Chest is now unloaded. :evil:

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:20 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
William the White wrote:
clapton is god wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote: Anyway - The Octagon tonight.
Look forward to your views on Ghosts.
Me too, Bruce.
There isn't much that I can say about the story that hasn't been written already. It's still being played out today because it's as relevant now as it was when Ibsen wrote it in the late nineteenth century. I found it to be dark, thought-provoking, intense, surprisingly witty, captivating, and absolutely superb.

The cast, well, I'd pay to watch this group play the spoons. If there's a more natural actress than Margot Leicester then I'd love to know who she is. George Irving, as in All My Sons, plays a man hiding a truth-approaching-exposure behind his own authoritive standing absolutely brilliantly.
I think it says something about the level of performance that there was a school party sat directly behind us which, to a pupil, remained absolutely silent and sat still for the entire performance in a 'too warm' theatre.
If I did need to pick a hole in anything then it would be that Vanessa Kirby can't 'do' a northern accent for shite, but I'm being picky there.

I recommend anyone to go and see it, and I also urge everyone to see Margot Leicester in absolutely anything whenever they can.
It's like a mystery to me that she isn't Dame Margot Leicester - the first time I saw her act was more than thirty years ago, in Manchester, when she was in her mid twenties and playing Portia in the Merchant... and I was totally, totally transfixed and pretty near hopelesly in love... :wink:

I saw her play in two Arthur Miller's at the Young Vic and on tour in Sheffield in the late 1980s and 90s- just amazing. And two years ago the Man Eve News said of her in a production at the Royal Exchange that 'there are some performances that simply transcend acting'... I absolutely agreed - that performance brought luminosity to a pretty mundane play... Last year she played Volumnia in Coriolanus at the Globe (wonderful theatre - if you've never done it, do try, my favourite place to see shakespeare) and it was like the event got a new energy and life and focus every time she came on stage...

She acted in a radio play of mine 15 years ago... sometimes you get lucky... :D :D :D

But, you know, I don't think I've seen her doing anything better than All My Sons, which was just brilliant...

Can't wait for Ghosts now... Cheers, Bruce... :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:35 pm

Saw Jose Lawrence play Carmen at the Octagon years ago. After the show she and a few companions were at the next table to us in the cafe. Seemed strange to hear them say that none of them knew where their next job was coming from as there was nothing in the pipeline.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Saw Jose Lawrence play Carmen at the Octagon years ago. After the show she and a few companions were at the next table to us in the cafe. Seemed strange to hear them say that none of them knew where their next job was coming from as there was nothing in the pipeline.
It's an actor's life... But hey, she found a gig :wink:

Actually I saw that (actually I saw pretty near everything at the Octagon over the last 19 years since i moved back to Bolton) - thought it was pretty mundane... did you enjoy?

You seen Ghosts yet, Tango?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:48 pm

William the White wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Saw Jose Lawrence play Carmen at the Octagon years ago. After the show she and a few companions were at the next table to us in the cafe. Seemed strange to hear them say that none of them knew where their next job was coming from as there was nothing in the pipeline.
It's an actor's life... But hey, she found a gig :wink:

Actually I saw that (actually I saw pretty near everything at the Octagon over the last 19 years since i moved back to Bolton) - thought it was pretty mundane... did you enjoy?

You seen Ghosts yet, Tango?
Not seen Ghosts WTW, but I though Carmen pretty good. The scene where a soldier let a rifle off in church and the large crucifix blew to bits was good theatre. I've got Videos of three or four versions of Carmen including the Spanish film one and one at Glyndebourne. I also have a flamenco version with Antonio Gadez (if it ever gets returned from a previous dance teacher).

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:08 pm

Doctor Who - The Waters of Mars

cannae bloody wait.
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Clint Eastwood double bill after that, can't remember the names, both films about Iwo Jima. Channel 4, from 9 o'clock.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:39 pm

Garrow's Law ep 3. Excellent series.

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:Clint Eastwood double bill after that, can't remember the names, both films about Iwo Jima. Channel 4, from 9 o'clock.
'Flags of our Fathers' and 'Letters from Iwo Jima'.

this could be a potentially great evening's viewing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:38 pm

Verbal wrote:Doctor Who - The Waters of Mars

cannae bloody wait.
Is Tom Baker the Doctor?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

cannae bloody wait.
Is Tom Baker the Doctor?
I think he was busy doing Little Britain voiceovers.

btw, I thought the show was superb, easily one of the top 5 of the new ones.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:14 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:

cannae bloody wait.
Is Tom Baker the Doctor?
Last time I watched it Patrick Troughton was the doc. :oops:

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:16 pm

Verbal wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

cannae bloody wait.
Is Tom Baker the Doctor?

twas a good un, and Russell Ts best since the Big Brother one

Bruno
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bruno » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:19 pm

Going through as much of the Complete Father Ted as I can manage before sleep overtakes me.

KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeeeeeeeBaaaaaaab » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:32 pm

Bruno wrote:Going through as much of the Complete Father Ted as I can manage before sleep overtakes me.
Father Ted: Ah, Sister Assumpta!
Sister Assumpta: Hello Father!
Father Ted: Dougal, Dougal, do you remember Sister Assumpta?
Father Dougal: Er, no.
Father Ted: She was here last year! And then we stayed with her in the convent, back in Kildare. Do you remember it? Ah, you do! And then you were hit by the car when you went down to the shops for the paper. You must remember all that? And then you won a hundred pounds with your lottery card? Ah, you must remember it, Dougal!
[Dougal shakes his head]
Sister Assumpta: And weren't you accidentally arrested for shoplifting? I remember we had to go down to the police station to get you!... And the police station went on fire? And you had to be rescued by helicopter?
Father Ted: Do you remember? You can't remember any of that? The helicopter! When you fell out of the helicopter! Over the zoo! Do you remember the tigers?
[Dougal shakes his head some more]
Father Ted: You don't remember? You were wearing your blue jumper.
Father Dougal: Ah, Sister Assumpta!
www.mini-medallists.co.uk
RobbieSavagesLeg wrote:I'd rather support Bolton than be you

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:11 am

just saw the very last episode of the Wire having watched all 5 series on DVD one after the other...

now I feel like I'm bereaved.....

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:02 am

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

cannae bloody wait.
Is Tom Baker the Doctor?

Good episode and looking forward to 10's big finale

enfieldwhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by enfieldwhite » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:40 am

ratbert wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

cannae bloody wait.
Is Tom Baker the Doctor?

Good episode and looking forward to 10's big finale
In the truest traditions of Doctor Who my daughter was so scared she went to bed before the programme even started! (She's fine now)

Excellent stuff.
"You're Gemini, and I don't know which one I like the most!"

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Mon Nov 16, 2009 12:27 pm

at the risk of spoiling this 'Dr Shit' love in - Southbank show was good last night, the Elbow feature!

Also finished the first series of Flight of the Conchords... fukking brilliant!!!