What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Wandering Willy
Icon
Icon

Post by Wandering Willy » Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:54 pm

Cracking effort that. Big grin on my face all the way through it.

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:49 pm

Just watched last night's Thick Of It. Excellent stuff - managing to capture all that's ghastly about vacuous politicians and brain-dead late night phone-in radio. Best episode so far.

Zulus Thousand of em
Icon
Icon

Post by Zulus Thousand of em » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:05 pm

Not watching MOTD2!
God's country! God's county!
God's town! God's team!!
How can we fail?

COME ON YOU WHITES!!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:08 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Not watching MOTD2!
I am, but mainly for the Tottenham - Wigan game.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 22, 2009 10:20 pm

Zulus Thousand of em wrote:Not watching MOTD2!
First time for ages we'll get decent coverage, and I just can't bear to watch it again. Thank the Lord I no longer have to face the Mancs on Monday morning. :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:25 pm

Just watched District 9, id heard it was good but it was totally not what I was expecting – still great though, really well done, and pretty funny! Top notch!!!

Kinda reminded me of Short Circuit a bit too, with the sort of misunderstood extraterrestrial thingy, just trying to get by - and the psychotic military general bloke trying to destroy it all the time?...
Last edited by General Mannerheim on Mon Nov 23, 2009 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:26 pm

Final episode of Garrow's Law was good... i'll miss it... legal confrontation in an adversarial system is inherently dramatic. Especially when you strip away the boring bits... Tonight was on sedition and political rights to opposition, not quite clear and detailed enough, but still good sunday night drama...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:01 am

After watching MOTD2 (how bad were Wigan, that could easily, easily have finished 15 or 16) I've been watching Paul Meron: The Series on 4od. Wonderfully surreal sketch show, recommended to anyone with a bit of time on their hands.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:33 am

Lord Kangana wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Anyway, All The Presidents Men is on at 9 on some funny cable channel near film4.
why did i choose this night to be stuck in the library? "Need" to see this film, and read the book.
Watched Frost/Nixon the other night for the first time. Cracking stuff, the seeds of the modern failure in politics is all right there.
Watched Frost/Nixon myself last night, wasn’t a ‘wow, would watch that again’ type of film but still very good, and interesting.

I am almost 30 years old, but I had never heard about the Frost/Nixon interviews before until this film came out and was nominated for all those Oscars. To me David Frost was the geezer off ‘Through the Keyhole’!

I had read a little on Watergate after that bit in Forest Gump when he see’s the torch lights flickering round some government office, and wondered once what suffix ‘gate’ meant. I had also read a little about Nixon, though mainly through Hunter S Thompson’s demonised characterisations – which to be honest is where my interest in the film probably stemmed.

Disappointingly, Nixon dosent seem as bad and evil as I’d hoped!?

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:22 pm

I think the key to it all is that Nixon is coerced and cajoled by Frost into saying he has "no regrets" and that "in certain circumstances its ok for the president to break the law". Thats the real killer 30 seconds. The context of it is about 20 years of presidents breaking the law before and for ever after since; Gerald Ford took it upon himself to pardon him when he should have stood on trial. The guy who plays Nixon steals the show for me, even though Michael Sheen gets top billing.

And I agree, its not really a film that you can watch twice in quick succession, though I'll probably watch it again sometime in the future.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 25, 2009 12:32 pm

Lord Kangana wrote:I think the key to it all is that Nixon is coerced and cajoled by Frost into saying he has "no regrets" and that "in certain circumstances its ok for the president to break the law". Thats the real killer 30 seconds. The context of it is about 20 years of presidents breaking the law before and for ever after since; Gerald Ford took it upon himself to pardon him when he should have stood on trial. The guy who plays Nixon steals the show for me, even though Michael Sheen gets top billing.

And I agree, its not really a film that you can watch twice in quick succession, though I'll probably watch it again sometime in the future.
Quality film, really enjoyed it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:30 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:Just watched District 9, id heard it was good but it was totally not what I was expecting – still great though, really well done, and pretty funny! Top notch!!!

Kinda reminded me of Short Circuit a bit too, with the sort of misunderstood extraterrestrial thingy, just trying to get by - and the psychotic military general bloke trying to destroy it all the time?...
missed this at the cinemas, wasn't too bothered, but short circuit? I'm there!

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Nov 25, 2009 9:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
General Mannerheim wrote:Just watched District 9, id heard it was good but it was totally not what I was expecting – still great though, really well done, and pretty funny! Top notch!!!

missed this at the cinemas, wasn't too bothered, but short circuit? I'm there!
I'm right behind you!! ooh err

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:45 pm

Just watched the latest episode of The History of Christianity. Good programme.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:04 pm

Watched the jungle bunnys before, really stimulating stirring stuff.

I wanna know if those Kangaroos lived in Saudi? losing their paws like that! hobo starts a new campaign!!! cut the balls off the hunter :mrgreen:

superjohnmcginlay
Passionate
Passionate

Post by superjohnmcginlay » Fri Nov 27, 2009 8:50 am

Hobinho wrote:Watched the jungle bunnys before, really stimulating stirring stuff.

I wanna know if those Kangaroos lived in Saudi? losing their paws like that! hobo starts a new campaign!!! cut the balls off the hunter :mrgreen:
Anyone? :conf:

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:22 am

superjohnmcginlay wrote:
Hobinho wrote:Watched the jungle bunnys before, really stimulating stirring stuff.

Anyone? :conf:
Nope.

General Mannerheim
Legend
Legend

Post by General Mannerheim » Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:13 am

New episode of Gavin & Stacey was better than i expected. Really hope its another good series, just got a feeling it might be a bit shit this time - them two milked it for all they could with that dreadful film and the tragic sketch show - and were slated for them quite rightly. then all of a sudden they pop up with a brand new series of G&S!? just hope its not a bit rushed?

Il Pirate
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Il Pirate » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:47 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:
Verbal wrote:
Lord Kangana wrote:Anyway, All The Presidents Men is on at 9 on some funny cable channel near film4.
why did i choose this night to be stuck in the library? "Need" to see this film, and read the book.
Watched Frost/Nixon the other night for the first time. Cracking stuff, the seeds of the modern failure in politics is all right there.
Watched Frost/Nixon myself last night, wasn’t a ‘wow, would watch that again’ type of film but still very good, and interesting.

I am almost 30 years old, but I had never heard about the Frost/Nixon interviews before until this film came out and was nominated for all those Oscars. To me David Frost was the geezer off ‘Through the Keyhole’!

I had read a little on Watergate after that bit in Forest Gump when he see’s the torch lights flickering round some government office, and wondered once what suffix ‘gate’ meant. I had also read a little about Nixon, though mainly through Hunter S Thompson’s demonised characterisations – which to be honest is where my interest in the film probably stemmed.

Disappointingly, Nixon dosent seem as bad and evil as I’d hoped!?
Ask the Cambodian's if Nixon was bad & evil,,,,,,,,

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:50 pm

General Mannerheim wrote:New episode of Gavin & Stacey was better than i expected. Really hope its another good series, just got a feeling it might be a bit shit this time - them two milked it for all they could with that dreadful film and the tragic sketch show - and were slated for them quite rightly. then all of a sudden they pop up with a brand new series of G&S!? just hope its not a bit rushed?
I enjoyed it too and I also had the same worries. Still, it was only the first episode, so I'll reserve judgement on it for the next few weeks