What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:17 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:28 pm
Holding

Brilliant
He should have played last night against Palace…. Hardly brilliant on the subs bench. Oh, wait…

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:42 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:17 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Holding

Brilliant
He should have played last night against Palace…. Hardly brilliant on the subs bench. Oh, wait…
See what you did there..... :wink:

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:45 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:42 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:17 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Holding

Brilliant
See what you did there..... :wink:
I’m funny aren’t I?! Got to laugh or I’ll cry after last nights performance…

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:23 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:30 pm
Ah, no. I meant in Taboo. I've never seen Peaky Blinders.

Ah, sorry Bruce, my error. If you haven't seen Peaky Blinders you've missed one of the best drama series ever from B.B.C. After six series, viewing figures were 3.8 million reaching 4.1 mil overnight. Utterly phenomenal series. Do watch it...
Not at all, Tango. It was me who quoted the wrong post ;)
I do intend to watch Peaky Blinders, but need to start right back at the beginning. 'Problem' is, there's so much good drama around / coming out at the moment it's difficult to find the time to commit.
At the moment we're on with the current series of Killing Eve, next up I'm really looking forward to The Thief, His Wife And The Canoe on ITV.
Eddie Marsen plays the lead (which immediately makes it a must-watch for me) it's the story about that guy from Hartlepool who faked his own death for the insurance money and lived next door to his 'widow' and kids, unbeknown to the kids, for 5 years before pitching up in Panama.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:23 pm

Ah, sorry Bruce, my error. If you haven't seen Peaky Blinders you've missed one of the best drama series ever from B.B.C. After six series, viewing figures were 3.8 million reaching 4.1 mil overnight. Utterly phenomenal series. Do watch it...

I do intend to watch Peaky Blinders, but need to start right back at the beginning.
Brilliant. I'll say no more than watch Episode 1 of the first series and you'll be hooked. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:30 pm

Strong parallels for me between Killing Eve and Peaky Blinders. Two excellent series filled by a desperate search down the back of the sofa for any ideas to keep the gravy train going.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 3:30 pm
Strong parallels for me between Killing Eve and Peaky Blinders. Two excellent series filled by a desperate search down the back of the sofa for any ideas to keep the gravy train going.
I did say to Morag that they're really stretching the credibility of Killing Eve to breaking point this time out. Shame really because the main story (Viz The 12) is holding up well, I feel.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:03 pm

I haven't bothered with this one yet (of either) as the clips I saw on Googlebox looked ridiculous. Would you say KE is worth it?

On Stephen Graham, I watched Boiling Point on Netflix over the weekend. He's unfortunately scouse in it, but I enjoyed it. He's very watchable. Plays a chef on a big night for the kitchen. One of those roughly real time, single-tracking shot things.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:25 pm

I just found the whole Peaky Blinders series on BBC I player. I couldn't possibly watch it again so soon....could I....? Well, I'll just start it... :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:54 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:25 pm
I just found the whole Peaky Blinders series on BBC I player. I couldn't possibly watch it again so soon....could I....? Well, I'll just start it... :D
We watched the series before as a refresher, about two weeks before this series started. :mrgreen:

And I really must recommend 'Holding' again. Brenda Fricker is stand out in this. Well written bt=y Graham Norton and brilliantly directed by Kathy Burke (I know right?) :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:54 pm

Anyone else caught the drama doc 'The rise of the LA Lakers' on Sky Atlantic? It's really good. Captures the excesses of the time as Reaganomics kicked in and basketball went off into the stratosphere. A sport and history I know little about but this has got me fascinated.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:15 am

Still well into my second complete viewing of Peaky Blinders. More time now to evaluate the brilliant acting of some outside the core Shelby family and regular relations, who are all top notch. Without spoiling the plot line, out side of these are, too many of both sexes to count,(tragically including the late departed Helen McCrory( are:

Tom Hardy, of course who is par excellence in all he does, Aiden Gillan as a Gypsy hitman, Sam Neil, brilliantly as the fixated Inspector Campbell ,menacing hater of all the Shelby's, and the sheer face of evil of Paddy Considine as a perverted Catholic priest come government agent, and Adrien Brody as a sleazy Mafia assassin . Steven Graham appears briefly in a couple of episodes. There are just so many fine performances that nobody can be left out. For this sort of drama, the B.B.C are without equal. So sorry it's ended. :(

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 10, 2022 11:33 pm

Watched Netflix's Jimmy Savile thing today. Presumably it's been made in order to tell the story to an American audience, because otherwise it doesn't contain anything which we don't already know and appears somewhat pointless.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Apr 12, 2022 2:06 pm

Finished Killing Eve last night.

Meh

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:28 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:54 pm
Anyone else caught the drama doc 'The rise of the LA Lakers' on Sky Atlantic? It's really good. Captures the excesses of the time as Reaganomics kicked in and basketball went off into the stratosphere. A sport and history I know little about but this has got me fascinated.

I've downloaded it but haven't yet got round to watching it. Yours is the third reccommendation I've encountered in the last couple of days so I'll have to make a start on it.

Regarding your last sentence, The Last Dance on Netflix is a documentary well worth watching if you haven't already.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Apr 24, 2022 9:55 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:28 am
Regarding your last sentence, The Last Dance on Netflix is a documentary well worth watching if you haven't already.
Aye, I enjoyed that. On similar lines, the Last Chance U series on Netflix following college football (gridiron) is good too.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:15 pm

Just watched "Official Secrets, a Kiera Knightley film based on..quote..

The true story of the publication of a leaked GCHQ memo in the run-up to the Iraq war and the devastasting consequences for whistleblower Katharine Gun. unquote.

Having previously ead Robert Harris's book "The Ghost" a thinly disguised series of events during the Blair regime, this is quite a riveting film. Recommend.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun May 08, 2022 12:17 pm

On another (football) thread, Worthy quoted (quote):

"As with Saville, there are usually people who know something is wrong but for whatever reason stay silent. Same with the Ohio (I think?) sexual abuse cases in the US.2

I just watched a film on BBC I player called "By the Grace of God" on this very topic in America. Based around true cases it gets into more then just the offences, but the nature of the people involved and why the Vatican stayed silent. I do but pass my views/opinion, on this, not judgement or sentence.

The very nature of Christianity is forgiveness, and judgement left to God ("Vengence is mine sayeth The Lord") and "de-frocking" is just a term as no one can stop an individual from praying or celebrating mass in private. The Pope, the Holiest man in Christendom, is the Lord's ambassador on earth, but he is not God and cannot undermine the very beliefs the Christianity is about. He is not the law. He is also an intelligent man and must be aware of the facts that Catholic clergy are amongst a percentage of sexual offenders. His lot is not a happy one.

Keeping the offenders away from children is as much the duty of the parents and teachers as that of the Church and paedophilia and sexual abuse go far deeper under the surface than media exposures (Let he who is without sin cast the first stone") Our prisons are full of such and rogue Catholic priests are far more media worth than low-life underworld offenders, but the Law of the land should apply without any further definition or preference.

A real mine-field of a topic, but one that cannot be ignored.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun May 08, 2022 1:56 pm

Other than I think it was Ghost whose words you quote, I don't think you are at all correct. The church has a duty of care not to appoint clergy that are going to do illegal things. Of course, as a parent, if I thought something was happening to my child, I should take appropriate action. But to be clear that doesn't and shouldn't protect any organisation from their duty of care.

As for how forgiveness works. You may see it how you want to, I believe that's tosh, but the Catholic Church also has the concept of penance at the sacrament of confession. How much and what sort of penance do they recommend for kiddie fiddlers? I hope it's more than three Hail Mary's and a Glory Be, I'm thinking more in terms of forty to life, after which we should ask the victim whether they thought penance had been served.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun May 08, 2022 2:41 pm

The Catholic church knew at the highest levels of sexual abuse, and didn't just do nothing but actively helped them avoid justice. If only there was such a thing as hell, there'd be plenty of the feck* burning.