What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am
Watched the first three episodes of Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime last night, based on the Robert Jordan books. Enjoyed it. Trollocs rejoice.
Just watched the first. Promising. And it features the Pike, lurvvvellly Rosamund. (Vigorous thigh rub)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:55 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:45 am
Watched the first three episodes of Wheel of Time on Amazon Prime last night, based on the Robert Jordan books. Enjoyed it. Trollocs rejoice.
Just watched the first. Promising. And it features the Pike, lurvvvellly Rosamund. (Vigorous thigh rub)
I saw her first!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:59 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:00 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:49 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:41 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:17 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:55 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:53 am
Just finished watching Close to Me on More 4. Watching the episodes had a 'blimey, I don't know where you're going with this' type feel about them, only for the whole thing to reach something of a logical conclusion.

I can't remember the last series I watched which had a 'feck me - I didn't see that coming' kind of ending.

Anyway, definitely in the market for recco's please, people?

I’m quite excited about watching the second series of ‘Malory Towers’ on CBBC with the kids over Christmas Bruce! You could give that a go?! :conf: :wink:
Bringing your kids up on Enid Blyton is, in my opinion, highly commendable, GG. Bravo.

It's also about my level ;)

Can’t beat a bit of Famous five! Also Initated them in Jennings, Wombles and Paddington amongst others and on TV Super Ted, bananaman, dogtanian etc. Oh, and they’re getting a Beano subscription for Christmas. I will immerse them in all things 80’s childhood!
I've never really known which age range Mr Benn was actually aimed at, but used to love it as a kid. Maybe dig some out and see what you think? Not sure if it'll be too young for them?
A bit before my time so not really sure what age it’s aimed at but you can find everything on you tube these days! I’ll have a look. Anything to avoid wrapping the insane amount of kids stocking presents I have to do today. Can you see I’m procrastinating?!

Loved Mr Benn as a kid. Probably best suited to youngest GG jr as opposed to the twins. Whilst we’re harking back, I must remember to pass on my copy of The Goalkeepers Revenge to the young GG’s. A book I’m sure Bruce is familiar with. Loved it as much when I purchased an old battered copy as a near 50 year old, as I did whilst reading it at primary school. So many memories brought back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:42 am

You want to get their attention G.G? Start reading The adventures of Tom Sawyer, and Huckleberry Finn. Guaranteed.... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:44 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:59 pm
Whilst we’re harking back, I must remember to pass on my copy of The Goalkeepers Revenge to the young GG’s. A book I’m sure Bruce is familiar with. Loved it as much when I purchased an old battered copy as a near 50 year old, as I did whilst reading it at primary school. So many memories brought back.
:shock: :shock: :shock: I can't believe I've just read that. The copy I found on Ebay about five years ago is on the bookshelf here beside me!!!

The Octagon put this sort of tribute to Bill Naughton on a few years ago. For me it didn't really work, for the reason that all Naughton's short stories (and although TGKR is by far my favourite) all stand alone as superb short stories, to be told/read individually. I could see what th'Octagon was trying to do by melding them all into one play, but for me it didn't really work.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:59 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:47 am
I mentioned "Strike" (the private investigator short series from B.B.C I PLAYER ) lately. What I didn't say (without spoiling any plot) is Tom Burke plays an amputee from service in Afghanistan. This is where the magic and wonders of technology are really on display. Amazing.
Watched the first one last night, Tango. Looks very good indeed. Many thanks for the heads-up.

I was intrigued as to how they'd shown him with his missing limb without simply resorting to cutaway shots, so I looked it up. Apparently it's achieved through a mix or impersonation (I can feel the cramp from here) greenscreen, and use of a one-legged body double.

All absolutely seamless.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:11 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
I mentioned "Strike" (the private investigator short series from B.B.C I PLAYER ) lately. What I didn't say (without spoiling any plot) is Tom Burke plays an amputee from service in Afghanistan. This is where the magic and wonders of technology are really on display. Amazing.

Have you read the books, Tango? Assuming it's based on the Cormorand Strike novels. Good reads though I havent read the latest two I think.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:14 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:11 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Have you read the books, Tango? Assuming it's based on the Cormorand Strike novels. Good reads though I havent read the latest two I think.
No, I haven't K, I'm way behind with my reading at the moment. I've just about finished "Erebus" that my daughter bought for me, and my granddaughter bought me a boxed set of Jane Austen novels (Hadn't the heart to tell her I've got several of them singly and an omnibus edition of them all) :oops: I'll catch up and watch out for the Strike books. Thanks.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:59 am

Watched the first one last night, Tango. Looks very good indeed. Many thanks for the heads-up.

I was intrigued as to how they'd shown him with his missing limb without simply resorting to cutaway shots, so I looked it up. Apparently it's achieved through a mix or impersonation (I can feel the cramp from here) greenscreen, and use of a one-legged body double.

All absolutely seamless.
I'm into the second series now Bruce and loving it. :)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 15, 2021 4:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:14 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 12:11 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

No, I haven't K, I'm way behind with my reading at the moment. I've just about finished "Erebus" that my daughter bought for me, and my granddaughter bought me a boxed set of Jane Austen novels (Hadn't the heart to tell her I've got several of them singly and an omnibus edition of them all) :oops: I'll catch up and watch out for the Strike books. Thanks.
About to start the first Strike tonight as it happens.
Also Tango I recently read Pride and Prejudice for the first time at the urging if the future Mrs LE and enjoyed it much more than I expected to. Tried watching the 1995 adaptation though and had to turn it off. Cringeworthy!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:24 pm

This week I finished the latest series of Succession. It's so *so* good. As engaging, well shot, enthralling as the best drama and yet so bitingly funny at the same time. The jokes are occasional, but shining. The best thing on TV right now by miles. Whole thing is on NowTV for about three more weeks.

Also last night finished Get Back. Absolutely adored it. Unless you're a massive Beatles fan I'd recommend spreading out the three parts, unless you really really really love Don't Let Me Down. But it's so fascinating. An amazing piece of film making. Seeing genius at work in real time. But then just long periods of them dicking about to make each other laugh. Paul hanging around with little Heather, John and Yoko, plus just the contemporary shots of 60s London. Superb.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 19, 2021 2:32 pm

Being a fan of period stuff, I re-watched Far from the Madding Crowd, with Carey Mulligan and that Belgian chap, Matthias Schoenaerts . Seen it a couple of times before, but it's an enjoyable take on Thomas Hardy's tale. Schoenaerts made a very creditable Gabriel Oak.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 19, 2021 5:17 pm

One series worth a watch is Canadian Police drama "Cardinal". They like a bit of gore these Canucks (hope Monty isn't watching") , but this is decent. Recommend.

Edit, finished the series. Enjoyed it. Worth watching but turn the heating up. All that snow.. :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:11 pm

Has anyone seen 'Don't Look Up' yet? Any thoughts?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:11 pm
Not seen that yet, but I just watched a rather mild film on B.B.C I Player that might not suit everybody, but being a lover of Jane Austen and Thomas Hardy and co, I found it watchable. "The Guernsey literary and Potato Peel Pie Society" A simple rustic tale based historically about the German occupation of Guernsey during World War II (in throwbacks) and some time after it ended. Made a change from Police procedurals which are beginning to have a recurring sameness whether in England, Ireland, Scottish Highlands or Europe. I quite liked it. :)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:23 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I started watching but just didn't get into it, so stopped. Also interested if anyone has watched it so I know whether to try again!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:03 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:23 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I started watching but just didn't get into it, so stopped. Also interested if anyone has watched it so I know whether to try again!
See, my brother describing it as being "a poor film but quite a thought-provoking topic" is really what's lead me to ask.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:03 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
See, my brother describing it as being "a poor film but quite a thought-provoking topic" is really what's lead me to ask.

Just sat through it and can safely say that’s 2hr 20mins I’ll never get back! Long and drawn out doesn’t begin to describe it. I had high hopes based on the premise, but feck me that was poor. Tried to be clever and failed miserably, giving a free 3 minute advert to Ariana Grande (who? I hear you ask!) along the way. They could have had the thing done and dusted in half the time!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:40 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:30 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 11:03 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Just sat through it and can safely say that’s 2hr 20mins I’ll never get back! Long and drawn out doesn’t begin to describe it. I had high hopes based on the premise, but feck me that was poor. Tried to be clever and failed miserably, giving a free 3 minute advert to Ariana Grande (who? I hear you ask!) along the way. They could have had the thing done and dusted in half the time!
Glad I stopped watching then :D

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:26 am

I've been rewatching The Red Riding Trilogy on Britbox. Relentlessly grim but with a brilliant cast of British talent and very atmospheric.