What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:44 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:18 pm
Not tonight but last night I went to the Octagon Theatre to see a new adaptation of The Book Thief.

It's been written as a musical and is debuting at the Octagon. I'm not much of a reviewer but I can only say I urge you to catch it if you can. Runs until 15th October.
I'm intrigued as much as anything as to how or why someone would make a musical version, usually jolly affairs, out of a heart-rending story narrated by 'Death'.
Still, I'll find out this evening.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:59 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:44 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:18 pm
Not tonight but last night I went to the Octagon Theatre to see a new adaptation of The Book Thief.

It's been written as a musical and is debuting at the Octagon. I'm not much of a reviewer but I can only say I urge you to catch it if you can. Runs until 15th October.
I'm intrigued as much as anything as to how or why someone would make a musical version, usually jolly affairs, out of a heart-rending story narrated by 'Death'.
Still, I'll find out this evening.
Not having read the book, your comment did prompt thought Bruce. Some of the best Musicals I have seen around have darker sides, South Pacific, war and loss, West Side Story, tragedy from start to finish, Carousel (Billy Bigolo touches on domestic violence as well as his story is from beyond the grave" and kept alive by every Liverpool fan who ever sang "You'll never walk alone") Oliver, the seamy Charles Dickens world of the working class. There are so many, Les Miserables and Miss Saigon amongst them. etc.etc.

I think it fair to say "musicals" really only reflect life with song and dance .I will look out for The Book Thief.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:27 pm

This on B.B.C I.Player. A brutally honest and rewarding interview on HardTalk with Tony Adams.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... nyAdams%5D

My respect for him is top notch after his frank honesty on drink, gambling, mental illness and his work to help other professional footballers. He lays out his whole career on the line and hides nothing. A brave guy I'll happily raise my hat to. Compulsive viewing.

p.s. I hope he wins Strictly now. If the fans watched this he'd walk it. :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:58 pm

Watched "The Girl with the Bracelet." French with English sub titles. Thought provoking family drama based around a murder.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:28 pm

Listened to rather than watched, but what on earth has happened to the 18:30 'comedy' slot on R4.
Over the years this has been the launchpad for so much magnificent British comedy.

Lat night driving home I listened to ''Whatever Next?' With Miles Jupp'.

It was excruciating. Seriously. I was actually going red on Miles Jupp's behalf it was so bad. Surely, a true friend would stop him and say - "Stop there, mate. That's just fecking embarrassingly not funny. Get a job with Amazon or summat".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Oct 11, 2022 4:11 pm

Just finished watching the four episodes of Inside Man with David Tenant and my favourite American male actor, Stanley Tucci. Really like Tucci and have seen him in everything from comedy to drama. He's really good on menace.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:51 pm

Watched episodes 1 & 2 of Dahmer this week on Netflix. Jeez, it's bleak. Not one I can binge watch, but certainly enjoyed them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:27 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Watched episodes 1 & 2 of Dahmer this week on Netflix. Jeez, it's bleak. Not one I can binge watch, but certainly enjoyed them
Boris - have you ever watched 'Des'? It's a three-part TV series in which David Tennant plays Scottish serial killer Dennis Nilsen with seriously disturbing accuracy.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:17 pm

Criminal: UK on Netflix is also fab. Different high profile actor plays a suspect interviewed by a police team in each episode. Highlights include (unsurprisingly) Davey T and Sharon Horgan but also (more surprisingly to me) Kunal Nayyar (Raj from Big Bang Theory) and even Kit Harrington comes across as made of flesh not wood..
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 2:27 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 1:51 pm
Boris - have you ever watched 'Des'? It's a three-part TV series in which David Tennant plays Scottish serial killer Dennis Nilsen with seriously disturbing accuracy.
Yes! He was truly excellent in that! They played video recordings after the programme and his imitation of him was almost perfect
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:17 pm
Criminal: UK on Netflix is also fab. Different high profile actor plays a suspect interviewed by a police team in each episode. Highlights include (unsurprisingly) Davey T and Sharon Horgan but also (more surprisingly to me) Kunal Nayyar (Raj from Big Bang Theory) and even Kit Harrington comes across as made of flesh not wood..
Did you ever watch the other syndicated versions set in different European countries? On Netflix as well, worth your time.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:33 am

Binge-watched three episodes of The Walk-In last night.A hard-hitting affair based on the activity of far Right groups and the true story of Matthew Collins' conversion from poacher to gamekeeper.

Now, fine actor though Stephen Graham is, I'm getting a little tired of him playing every character he plays as a Scouser. Collins was born and raised in London. Sean Bean's the same in that he plays everyone as a dour Yorkshire man.
Graham was on TV the other week boasting about his range of accents; be nice if he made more of an effort to use them.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:50 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:33 am
Binge-watched three episodes of The Walk-In last night.A hard-hitting affair based on the activity of far Right groups and the true story of Matthew Collins' conversion from poacher to gamekeeper.

Now, fine actor though Stephen Graham is, I'm getting a little tired of him playing every character he plays as a Scouser. Collins was born and raised in London. Sean Bean's the same in that he plays everyone as a dour Yorkshire man.
Graham was on TV the other week boasting about his range of accents; be nice if he made more of an effort to use them.
Hoylake, Toxteth, Speke and New Brighton? :conf:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:29 am

Watched "The case against Adnan Syed" from 2019, last night. From the Serial Podcast in 2014, he's just had his conviction overturned. What a story of a stitch-up that's been. Not that I could say he "didn't do it," just that from the evidence presented including a very shady key witness, I have no idea how they managed to convince a jury that he did, beyond reasonable doubt.

The "politicking" for the last 3/4 years, people getting involved one side or another because they have an election coming up (district Attorney's etc.) has been absolutely third world. One of the strongest reasons not to elect a judiciary.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 7:33 am

I can only think of his portrayal as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire as a role where he wasn't Scouse. He did play Capone with a frightening intensity though.

Another shout out for Dahmer here too. Grim but great.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:34 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 8:50 am

Hoylake, Toxteth, Speke and New Brighton? :conf:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:10 am

I can only think of his portrayal as Al Capone in Boardwalk Empire as a role where he wasn't Scouse. He did play Capone with a frightening intensity though.
Haven't seen that. He did also play Anthony Provenzano in The Irishman. However, when set against the wonderful Bronx accents of De Niro and Pacino, our lad was left sounding a little like 'Jamie Carragher does New Jersey'.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:44 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:41 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:10 am

Haven't seen that. He did also play Anthony Provenzano in The Irishman. However, when set against the wonderful Bronx accents of De Niro and Pacino, our lad was left sounding a little like 'Jamie Carragher does New Jersey'.
He was Baby Face Nelson in 'Public Enemies' too. Meh

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Oct 14, 2022 10:20 pm

Just watched The Gentlemen.
I hadn't heard of it, but if you like Guy Ritchie's stuff then you really should watch it. Strong cast too.

My only problem was in my head, Hugh Grant's character kept morphing into 'Daddy' from the 'Juliet Bravo' episode of League of Gentlemen 😊

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:14 pm

Listened to an interview with Swedish producer, Ruben Östlund, on my way home the other evening, talking about his new film 'Triange of Sadness' which sounds superb.
It has a limited release on Friday so unfortunately we'll have to traipse into Manchester to see it.
I rather hoped that 'The Light' might have looking to pick up on this kind of film.