What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am

Last night watched Icarus, documentary on Netflix which started out about doping in cycling but completely changed halfway through when the filmmakers realise they are inadvertently in the middle of the greatest doping crisis in the history of sport. As an insight into the people involved and the link between high level sport and politics it's both fascinating and depressing.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:09 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:11 am
Last night watched Icarus, documentary on Netflix which started out about doping in cycling but completely changed halfway through when the filmmakers realise they are inadvertently in the middle of the greatest doping crisis in the history of sport. As an insight into the people involved and the link between high level sport and politics it's both fascinating and depressing.
The greatest doping crisis in the history of sport, you say. Wait until the Somalian's story breaks. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:45 pm

Watched " A case for Christ" last night. A very controversial film that needs watching right through to appreciate. In short, a top investigative journalist who is an atheist, attempts to put Christianity to the sword with fact ands truths. Based on a true story I found it interesting to say the least. Recommended.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:37 pm

Game of Thrones:
Some fxcker has just told me that Jon Snow is a Targeryan... hence Mr Tully's wilding Mrs reading about "what's an annulment?"
Gobsmacked.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Spent the weekend in Manchester and watched the Morrisey film 'England is mine' last night. Interesting and funny and a great performance by the lead.

Followed it up today with Dunkirk. Great cinematography but all over the place with no story. I spent the last quarter of an hour almost wishing we'd surrendered to the Jerry's if only to save me from guff like that 70s year later
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:30 pm

I fancied that Morrissey film until I read they didn't have rights to any of the music. Worth it anyway?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:12 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:30 pm
I fancied that Morrissey film until I read they didn't have rights to any of the music. Worth it anyway?
It is. I didn't know that beforehand so was a little disappointed not to get at least a couple of tunes in there
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Ta will check it out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 pm

Just had a Friday evening in and watched Hacksaw Ridge. :shock: 4ucking hell!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:41 pm
Watched it on the plane and absolutely hated it. What should have been a great story of heroism was instead an exercise in squeezing as much violence in as possible. Absolutely no need for it.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:39 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Watched it on the plane and absolutely hated it. What should have been a great story of heroism was instead an exercise in squeezing as much violence in as possible. Absolutely no need for it.
I'm guessing that those who died in the Battle of Okinawa weren't shot neatly through the temples ;) I think the graphic detail probably gave a relatively accurate detail as to the conditions Doss braved and showed just what a true hero he was.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:46 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I'm guessing that those who died in the Battle of Okinawa weren't shot neatly through the temples ;) I think the graphic detail probably gave a relatively accurate detail as to the conditions Doss braved and showed just what a true hero he was.
I have no doubt, but the film was far more about the violence than the bravery.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:41 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:46 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 8:03 am
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I have no doubt, but the film was far more about the violence than the bravery.
Not the impression I got, AT, and I'm one that hates needless blood and gore. I thought it accentuated Doss's bravery.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:56 pm

^^
That sounds like a film I'm going to have to watch. You expect blood and violence with anything that Mel Gibson is associated with both as an actor (Braveheart, The Patriot, Once we were soldiers, etc) and as a director, The Passion of The Christ, a brutal torture and cruelty spectacular, so that won't phase me. The true story sounds well worthy of a watch.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:41 pm
Not the impression I got, AT, and I'm one that hates needless blood and gore. I thought it accentuated Doss's bravery.
I was on the plane coming back from the Maldives, so maybe I was too chilled out for violence :D

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 am

On the Buses. Maybe i'm in a minority but I think this is genuinely amusing. You could get away with an awful lot of slapstick and broad humour in the early 1970s and even today it's full of gems and standout moments. Why ITV feel the need to include it at 1.30 on a Sunday morning is a mystery, but I always try to catch an episode if possible.

Olive (Anna Karen) is the only surviving cast member from the original series. Last I heard she was in Eastenders, although wouldn't know as haven't seen anything from that for a good 20 years now. Was sad to learn of the passing of Blakey a year or two ago, not only one of the shows biggest characters, he was a very good scriptwriter for the series and producer. They don't make them like this anymore.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:09 pm

OrtonCakeBingoBongo wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:24 am
On the Buses. Maybe i'm in a minority but I think this is genuinely amusing. You could get away with an awful lot of slapstick and broad humour in the early 1970s and even today it's full of gems and standout moments. Why ITV feel the need to include it at 1.30 on a Sunday morning is a mystery, but I always try to catch an episode if possible.

Olive (Anna Karen) is the only surviving cast member from the original series. Last I heard she was in Eastenders, although wouldn't know as haven't seen anything from that for a good 20 years now. Was sad to learn of the passing of Blakey a year or two ago, not only one of the shows biggest characters, he was a very good scriptwriter for the series and producer. They don't make them like this anymore.
Harry Genshaw is a big fan!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:09 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:09 pm

:D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:56 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:09 pm

:lol: . Got an on the buses dvd to watch that some wag bought me for my birthday. Looking forward to it!

Saw Hacksaw Ridge last week. Fookin ell :shock: . I see what previous posters meant about the violence. You think back to the old John Wayne films where you knew the enemy had been shot because they looked asleep on the battleground. Then compare it to this! Totally necessary imo though but not for the squeamish

OrtonCakeBingoBongo
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by OrtonCakeBingoBongo » Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:09 am

They had the entire series on DVD (at Sainsburys of all places) a year or two ago but for a 20 + pound asking price I'm not enough of a fan to make a purchase. Strange I've never seen this for sale in more relevant places such as HMV or CeX. I catch the re-runs on ITV3 when they put them on if possible or watch one of the feature films they made (the Safari Park outing is outstanding) but if I miss anything, then can live with it. I have a tangible interest but not a hardcore fan of the series by any means.

Watching now : Broken Arrow (not the one with Indians and James Stewart)

Not surprised in retrospect didn't go to see this on release 20 years ago. It's straight mindless action. A straight to video release if ever there was one. Must have flopped at the box office, I don't even remember them advertising it when it came out.