What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jul 21, 2021 5:39 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:59 pm
I know nowt about F1 and care less. But I do often wonder why Brits love serial (but incredibly dull) Roger Federer yet loathe their own incredible (but also dull) Lewis Hamilton. Is it cos he's a boy made good and supports positive causes? Or just because we don't like people of our own nationality who do well?
I fall squarely into the camp you describe regarding liking or disliking those two. For me RF is an articulate intelligent and quite humble champion. LH is a preening poseur whose public persona comes across as a contrived PR construct. I just think he's a fake. The good causes are probably presented to him by his team.
Also I find tennis to be a purer sport than F1 as its less reliant on the best equipment.
Like Tango says, it's down to personal reaction and isn't always fair or logical.
I took a dislike to Gary Monk, for example, because his hair reminded me of some annoying kid in my class. And I had right on my side!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:01 pm

England Women beat Chile Women 2- 0 in the first Olympics Football Game and U.S.A were losing 1-0 last heard.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:01 pm
England Women beat Chile Women 2- 0 in the first Olympics Football Game and U.S.A were losing 1-0 last heard.
Woah woah Tango! England?!!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:24 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 10:37 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 9:01 pm
Woah woah Tango! England?!!
Whoops, sorry, H.G. :oops: That's G.B Women of course. Sorry girls, no offence meant. I'm a fan. ae:)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:43 pm

Don't worry Tango, the BBC made the same mistake yesterday :lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:43 pm
Don't worry Tango, the BBC made the same mistake yesterday :lol:
Really? Oh blimey, I can just imagine the wailing and gnashing of teeth in Scotland and Wales :roll:

I read a piece the other day about some Welsh folk being upset that the UK tax office, based in Cardiff, has the union flag on the wall. The bloody nerve!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:44 pm

:)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 pm

So, are we being United Kingdom, Great Britain or what? See, I cheer like mad for the wee Scots lass , Laura Muir, every time she runs; she's amazing. She's a Brit for me.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:29 pm
So, are we being United Kingdom, Great Britain or what? See, I cheer like mad for the wee Scots lass , Laura Muir, every time she runs; she's amazing. She's a Brit for me.
By the way, a few medals back, the guy who carried our flag at the Olympics was, er, one Andy Murray. Just worth a mention. :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:56 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
It's GB in the Olympics. I'm like you TD, I support all the athletes who are representing GB. There's a significant amount of whingers, mainly north of the border but in Wales too, who argue that the likes of Murray and Muir are British when they're winning and Scottish when they're not. I find it odd. Nobody looks at Mo, Jess, Rutherford etc and frets about them being English. In the Olympics they're representing Great Britain!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm

I see that that Somalian long distance runner didn't qualify ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:08 pm
I see that that Somalian long distance runner didn't qualify ;)
:grin:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jul 23, 2021 1:09 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:56 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
It's GB in the Olympics. I'm like you TD, I support all the athletes who are representing GB. There's a significant amount of whingers, mainly north of the border but in Wales too, who argue that the likes of Murray and Muir are British when they're winning and Scottish when they're not. I find it odd. Nobody looks at Mo, Jess, Rutherford etc and frets about them being English. In the Olympics they're representing Great Britain!
Its football culture, working class man's culture. I went to the Olympics in 2012 and everyone was cheering team GB on regardless.

Yet was watching Murray in the final and a bloke in a West Ham shirt was like 'what you cheering im on for eee ain't Engerrlish he 8's us'.

Its a culture amongst people of (lets be nice) lower educational status who have been drip fed nationalism for decades by the media. In England and Scotland and Wales. Its more predominant in England because our media is more pervasive and the flag waving 'no surrender' culture is probably more widespread. But it exists everywhere.

I've never heard someone outside those circles ask me why I want Murray to win or whatever...they might not like him...but that's a separate subject.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:04 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:31 pm
80% of the time, F1 is pretty dull, but when it's good, oh my. What a race. What a driver.
I've just discovered that Verstappen's dad, Hanx, drives a bus in Belfast. ;)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Jul 25, 2021 1:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 12:04 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:31 pm
80% of the time, F1 is pretty dull, but when it's good, oh my. What a race. What a driver.
I've just discovered that Verstappen's dad, Hanx, drives a bus in Belfast. ;)
:lol: :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm

:lol:

His cousin Nat used to but was sacked.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jul 25, 2021 7:25 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:22 pm
:lol:

His cousin Nat used to but was sacked.
fecking glorious :lol:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am

Last night I watched (re-watched ) the modern..2008 version of that most quintessential of British spy films "The 39 Steps". Written by Scot, John Buchan back in 1915, its popularity is proven by the fact it is currently being shown on BBCi player. Despite many changes in the plot from the original versions, this one, starring Rupert Penry Jones and Lydia Leonard (yes, it has a female angle, and a suffragette at that) is a film that can be watched by anyone. No parental control needed. ( G.G take note )

A mildly romantic spy plot that leaves a possible happy ending, the whole thing is a feel-good version with great Scottish scenery and architecture. some beautiful vintage roadsters and a good old steam train.

If you're looking to pass a couple of pleasant hours, it's still available on BBC i Player. Over the years I've read the book and seen a few film versions (Robert Donat and Kenneth Moore come to mind), this is a recommend if you haven't seen it. Leaves a smile
behind.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:19 pm

Olympic fever here. We watched ‘Cool runnings’ today, the kids for the first time. The ending still makes me sniff a bit! 😪

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 10, 2021 5:37 pm

Watch an amazing documentary with terrific camera and art work. You need a couple of hours, but it really is enthralling viewing.It's in French, so subtitles are needed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m ... ame-burned