What are you watching tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm

Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 28, 2019 8:27 pm

Think I'll watch "Snatch" again on Channel 32 at 9-0 clock. Good watch :D
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

martinbwfc
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 7
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by martinbwfc » Sun Sep 01, 2019 3:57 pm

Brassic on sky 1 is worth a watch in a shameless sort of way.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:26 pm

Last night. Been following the historians through ancient Egypt and Simon Sebag Mirefiore through Jerusalem and now Rome. Highly interesting and well presented programmes well worth a watch.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7233
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm

Anyone else admitting to watching 'bake off' or is it just me?!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2818
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Anyone else admitting to watching 'bake off' or is it just me?!
Go on then, i'll admit to it. Then again, with a prolific baker in the house (as you and others on here can testify to) and a daughter who loves the show, I don't have much choice but to watch. I didn't want to like it, but found myself staying off twitter last night, in order to avoid the result. :oops:

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by taddyontoast » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

I'll probably persevere, though, as I have come this far.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

I'll probably persevere, though, as I have come this far.
It's because that's exactly what they are Taddy and always have been; violent animals, bully boys at best, cold-blooded heartless killers at worst. Arthur is a lunatic asylum candidate, and Tommy and Aunt Polly gangsters in suits who will kill you as soon as look at you if you cross them. Hard to make a hero of Tommy, a man who encouraged his younger brother (now dead) to blind somebody with a razor blade in a revenge act. Good TV as entertainment, but no heroes in the Brummy boys..

You will watch it out though, "By order of the Peaky xxxxing Blinders...." :mrgreen:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

I'll probably persevere, though, as I have come this far.
It's because that's exactly what they are Taddy and always have been; violent animals, bully boys at best, cold-blooded heartless killers at worst. Arthur is a lunatic asylum candidate, and Tommy and Aunt Polly gangsters in suits who will kill you as soon as look at you if you cross them. Hard to make a hero of Tommy, a man who encouraged his younger brother (now dead) to blind somebody with a razor blade in a revenge act. Good TV as entertainment, but no heroes in the Brummy boys..

You will watch it out though, "By order of the Peaky xxxxing Blinders...." :mrgreen:
Aye... but on series one there was room for some complexity because of the back-story that Tommy and Arthur were wrestling with their demons from war's brutality - it made them something a bit deeper/more complex than just venal thugs - there was room for some sympathy for their struggle....

I'm not feeling that anymore...

Still - cool hats!

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am

taddyontoast wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

I'll probably persevere, though, as I have come this far.
It's because that's exactly what they are Taddy and always have been; violent animals, bully boys at best, cold-blooded heartless killers at worst. Arthur is a lunatic asylum candidate, and Tommy and Aunt Polly gangsters in suits who will kill you as soon as look at you if you cross them. Hard to make a hero of Tommy, a man who encouraged his younger brother (now dead) to blind somebody with a razor blade in a revenge act. Good TV as entertainment, but no heroes in the Brummy boys..

You will watch it out though, "By order of the Peaky xxxxing Blinders...." :mrgreen:
Aye... but on series one there was room for some complexity because of the back-story that Tommy and Arthur were wrestling with their demons from war's brutality - it made them something a bit deeper/more complex than just venal thugs - there was room for some sympathy for their struggle....

I'm not feeling that anymore...

Still - cool hats!
I'm hearing you. Good points Taddy, although I did find the strong Romany connection a bit confusing with pure townies like the Shelbys'. As you say, que sera... :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35556
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Anyone else admitting to watching 'bake off' or is it just me?!
I'd rather stare at the sun, but thanks for asking. :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19867
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am
taddyontoast wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 9:58 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:31 pm
taddyontoast wrote:
Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:06 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:45 pm
Peakies are back. Episode One of a new series tonight.

Not sure I'm enjoying this series... in previous serieses there was at least a tiny hint of some kind of moral struggle that made Tommy an interesting and complex character. With so much bloodshed behind him now it's hard to see him and the gang as anything other than venal, murderous, violent thugs...

I'll probably persevere, though, as I have come this far.
It's because that's exactly what they are Taddy and always have been; violent animals, bully boys at best, cold-blooded heartless killers at worst. Arthur is a lunatic asylum candidate, and Tommy and Aunt Polly gangsters in suits who will kill you as soon as look at you if you cross them. Hard to make a hero of Tommy, a man who encouraged his younger brother (now dead) to blind somebody with a razor blade in a revenge act. Good TV as entertainment, but no heroes in the Brummy boys..

You will watch it out though, "By order of the Peaky xxxxing Blinders...." :mrgreen:
Aye... but on series one there was room for some complexity because of the back-story that Tommy and Arthur were wrestling with their demons from war's brutality - it made them something a bit deeper/more complex than just venal thugs - there was room for some sympathy for their struggle....

I'm not feeling that anymore...

Still - cool hats!
I'm hearing you. Good points Taddy, although I did find the strong Romany connection a bit confusing with pure townies like the Shelbys'. As you say, que sera... :wink:
At least you two seem to have a clue on what the hell is going on!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:20 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:10 am
I'm hearing you. Good points Taddy, although I did find the strong Romany connection a bit confusing with pure townies like the Shelbys'. As you say, que sera... :wink:

yup - never really understood the Romany angle or where it came from - I think it's summat to do with Tommy's mother being part of the Lee family but I've never really concentrated that much!

and it was a basis for them to do the iconic horse thing in the first series opening sequences...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:39 am

At least you two seem to have a clue on what the hell is going on!
Not really, or just as I see it. It's quite confusing. The plot is becoming a bit too poor man's "Godfather III" with Tommy Shelby stretching the bounds of credibility to breaking point. It's all taking the twenties and thirties into the realms of modern day scriptwriters fantasies with the political connections via Oswald Mosely and fascistism. Both worlds relevant, but not dining at the same table. A bit Derek Hatton meets Tyson Fury....or something..
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19867
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Plot lost me a long time ago, midway through those Italian chaps last time around I think. No idea what's happening now. Gypsies and ghost hallucinations. Cillian Murphy is good in everything but if I hadn't starting watching it already I don't think I would start now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2019 5:13 pm

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by taddyontoast » Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:43 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm
Plot lost me a long time ago, midway through those Italian chaps last time around I think. No idea what's happening now. Gypsies and ghost hallucinations. Cillian Murphy is good in everything but if I hadn't starting watching it already I don't think I would start now.

Aye... i fear it will fail the "leave the audience wanting more" test... but i doubt they'll care as they will have trousered a decent wodge!

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 05, 2019 6:19 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:43 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:57 pm
Plot lost me a long time ago, midway through those Italian chaps last time around I think. No idea what's happening now. Gypsies and ghost hallucinations. Cillian Murphy is good in everything but if I hadn't starting watching it already I don't think I would start now.

Aye... i fear it will fail the "leave the audience wanting more" test... but i doubt they'll care as they will have trousered a decent wodge!
They should have left well enough alone, but that can't happen, T.V and Films are golden geese and the public ever gullible with fantasy ( always have been since Flash Gordon, Tarzan, Superman, Star Wars, Robin Hood etc,etc...) Nothing succeeds like success and, where money and corporations are concerned, nothing propinks like Propinquity....thus..
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7233
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Thu Sep 05, 2019 8:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:55 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:15 pm
Anyone else admitting to watching 'bake off' or is it just me?!
I'd rather stare at the sun, but thanks for asking. :D
Looking at Paul Hollywood is much the same thing tbf though he doesn't seem quite as perma tanned as last series.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Sep 19, 2019 6:16 pm

Twas last night, but caught up with episode three of The Capture, that seems a decent BBC. drama...so far. Followed by a good documentary on The Troubles in Ireland and , following recent disclosures, Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness's involvement with the I.R.A. As ever with this topic, complicated doesn't get near describing it.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7233
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:18 pm
Location: Mid Sussex

Re: What are you watching tonight?

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 pm

Traumatised by the ending of Sanditon (which I had been loving) tonight. Tango, have you been watching it?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: TANGODANCER and 7 guests