What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:55 pm

P.O.S. wrote:Slowly beginning to work my way through Pat W. Hendersen's "Decade", a story set between 1985 and 1995 against the backdrop of the Scottish rave and drug scene - it's alright, but there are substantial parts of it where I come away thinking "I can write as good as if not better than this", it's frustrating but also encouraging!
do us another article for the front page!

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:01 pm

thebish wrote:
P.O.S. wrote:Slowly beginning to work my way through Pat W. Hendersen's "Decade", a story set between 1985 and 1995 against the backdrop of the Scottish rave and drug scene - it's alright, but there are substantial parts of it where I come away thinking "I can write as good as if not better than this", it's frustrating but also encouraging!
And when you do, Bish will fill in the adverbs! :oops:
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:10 pm

mummywhycantieatcrayons wrote:
thebish wrote:
No, no, no, no, no - I'll correct the present participles!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:23 pm

thebish wrote:
thebish wrote:
I am NOT a present participle... :evil: Oh, err....
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

thebish
Immortal
Immortal

Post by thebish » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:26 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
thebish wrote:
thebish wrote:
I am NOT a present participle... :evil: Oh, err....
no Tango - you're a past participle! ;-)

William the White
Legend
Legend

Post by William the White » Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:28 pm

bobby5 wrote:Native Son by Richard Wright.
Wow, pioneering voice of black america... Enjoying?

I've read some Baldwin recently...

P.O.S.
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by P.O.S. » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:45 pm

thebish wrote:
I walked into that one didn't I! I've done quite a lot more work on the story that TW posted up snippets of about a year ago but a lot of it would probably have to be edited to within an inch of its life to be suitable for front page viewing. Ill have a look to see if there's some parts that I could get away with posting - the actual match in Munich rather than the drunken antics in the city beforehand might make it though so I'll see what the moderators say!

bobby5
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bobby5 » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:33 pm

William the White wrote:
bobby5 wrote:Native Son by Richard Wright.
Wow, pioneering voice of black america... Enjoying?

I've read some Baldwin recently...
Yes, it's excellent. Incredible tension in the book indicative of the time.
"Don't like modern bands. Topman music, innit?"

hisroyalgingerness
Icon
Icon

Post by hisroyalgingerness » Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:38 pm

Owen'sEleven wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Just finished the 3rd book in the Red Riding series, 1980. Absolutely brilliant, such a thrilling last 3rd of a book. Roll on the last un
You're gonna love what the woodcutter finds inside the wolf at the end. Absolutely superb ending - incredible stuff.
Is that from the TV version, have I missed somert or are you winding me up?

Cracking book anyway, really enjoyed it. Proper page turner

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:25 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Owen'sEleven wrote:
hisroyalgingerness wrote:Just finished the 3rd book in the Red Riding series, 1980. Absolutely brilliant, such a thrilling last 3rd of a book. Roll on the last un
You're gonna love what the woodcutter finds inside the wolf at the end. Absolutely superb ending - incredible stuff.

Think back to when you were a young lad, what did Red Riding (perhaps followed by 'hood') mean to you :D?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lennon'sEleven
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Lennon'sEleven » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:33 pm

If on a Winter's Night a Traveller, by Italo Calvinho.

And I've got to say, as of chapter 4, I don't like it much. It's frustrating - although I can't help but feel that's the point.

He's succeeded in making me want to read the book I started (which will make sense if you've read it), but where's the fun in that if I can't?
Formerly known as Meg'sEleven. And Owen'sEleven. And Dougie'sEleven. We're getting through them aren't we...

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:40 pm

After the film, I read the book "The men who stare at goats".

I hope its fiction, or you can add another straw to that camel "Americaisfookinnuts".
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:07 pm

Just finished John Le Carre's A Most Wanted Man. A novel about the inteligence and sometime lack of it in the world of the same name. Excellent.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Verbal
Icon
Icon

Post by Verbal » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:26 pm

hisroyalgingerness wrote:
Owen'sEleven wrote:

:mrgreen:
"Young people, nowadays, imagine money is everything."

"Yes, and when they grow older they know it."

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:18 am

Prufrock wrote:came away with 'The Prince' by Machiavelli
Started it?

I read half and am yet to return to it... I probably know a bit more Italian politics in the Renaissance than the next man, but found the accounts of contemporary events to be pretty dense.

Some good quotations, and of course it has be seen in the context of what ground it broke, but I have found it slightly disappointing given its supposed importance in European political thought.

Like you though, Machiavelli was a keen classicist, so perhaps you'll enjoy that angle.
Prufrock wrote: Like money hasn't always talked. You might not like it, or disagree, but it's the truth. It's a basic incentive, people always have, and always will want what's best for themselves and their families

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:31 pm

Started it?

I read half and am yet to return to it... I probably know a bit more Italian politics in the Renaissance than the next man, but found the accounts of contemporary events to be pretty dense.

Some good quotations, and of course it has be seen in the context of what ground it broke, but I have found it slightly disappointing given its supposed importance in European political thought.

Like you though, Machiavelli was a keen classicist, so perhaps you'll enjoy that angle.
Not yet. Maybe the really good bits are in the second half :D?

Will report back.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lord Kangana
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lord Kangana » Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee. The original, that is.
You can judge the whole world on the sparkle that you think it lacks.
Yes, you can stare into the abyss, but it's staring right back.

ratbert
Passionate
Passionate

Post by ratbert » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:05 pm

Started it?

I did it at university. Remember having a distinct 'what's all the fuss about?' feeling at the time.

mummywhycantieatcrayons
Legend
Legend

Post by mummywhycantieatcrayons » Tue Aug 17, 2010 5:19 pm

ratbert wrote:
Started it?

I did it at university. Remember having a distinct 'what's all the fuss about?' feeling at the time.
Definitely. As I say, you could go through it and cut out a few one liners (which, for us, depend a lot on the translator anyway), but apart from that.... :conf:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Aug 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Holidays a-comin', which means more WtW-style fervent bookshop raids, and a return to the library. Libraries gave us power.

Among the captures, three sports books. One which I'll probably have finished by the time the plane takes off: The Meaning of Sport by Simon Barnes, chief sportswriter of The Times. A funny old mix, its short chapters flick between theses on sport's importance or otherwise, interesting explanations of how sportswriting works and a look back over his own career. If that sounds horrifically self-mythologising, it's not, even if Barnes regularly crops up in Pseuds' Corner – often unfairly, the underlying ethos surely being it's impossible to like sport and be even halfway intelligent. For all that, it's a bit of a mishmash, and I wouldn't unreservedly recommend it, but it's worth a read considering you can get it on Amazon for a penny plus postage.

Going in the flight bag will be Barney Ronay's The Manager: The Absurd Ascent of the Most Important Man in Football. Have heard good things about this, and Barney normally makes me chuckle. Will let you know how it goes.

And finally, some required reading which I should've got round to long ago :oops: – the excellent Jonathan Wilson's award-winning Inverting the Pyramid: A History of Football Tactics. If you don't read Wilson, you should, whether it's in The Guardian, FourFourTwo (he's penned a cover feature on playmakers for the new issue out next month) or wherethehellever. Information and entertainment: not a bad combo.