What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Gudnib » Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:40 pm

Nearly finished Smoke and Mirrors now. The plot gets worse and worse. If you read nothing else this year read these two books.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:07 pm

I read Bob Mortimer's Autobiography, 'And away....' last week. What a thoroughly delightful, hilarious man he is.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 25, 2022 3:47 pm

Daughter bouht me "Secret Bolton" by Ray Jefferson. A fascinating collection of little know facts of the history of Bolton. Good read.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:50 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:07 pm
I read Bob Mortimer's Autobiography, 'And away....' last week. What a thoroughly delightful, hilarious man he is.
Indeed. He's spent a lifetime having to be funny enough for two.

I wouldn't mind a read of his book. Qualified solicitor isn't he?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:36 pm

It's a cracker. Vic and Bob not really my thing, but Gone Fishing is superb, he's excellent on Would I Lie To You? and the book is fab. He's an all round good egg.

His Twitter train guy is pitch perfect too.

He was indeed Bruce. Did housing for a London local authority I think.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:36 pm
It's a cracker. Vic and Bob not really my thing, but Gone Fishing is superb, he's excellent on Would I Lie To You? and the book is fab. He's an all round good egg.

His Twitter train guy is pitch perfect too.

He was indeed Bruce. Did housing for a London local authority I think.
I'm exactly where you are on all of that, mate.

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Feb 28, 2022 9:31 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:50 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:07 pm
Indeed. He's spent a lifetime having to be funny enough for two.

I wouldn't mind a read of his book. Qualified solicitor isn't he?
Yes, qualified solicitor. Worked in social housing a lot. Won't spoil it. You can borrow it if you like?

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Mar 23, 2022 10:56 am

Joined my local library (a what?) last month and took out a forgettable Italian thriller which I binned off after a week. Since then, however, I've been reading Never Had it So Good, a look at British political and societal history from the Suez Crisis to around the mid 60s.

I absolutely loved history as a kid, but mid-20th century Britain was rarely a part of the curriculum. With that in mind I've really enjoyed 'discovering' more about the UK in that time, and to some degree how the things that were lauded and complained about then echo through to the 21st century more often than not. Very readable as well. Would heartily recommend.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:19 pm

Debate fodder. A bit old-hat, but in the absence of the Evatt Code......:

I intend to read Dan Brown's ORIGIN as soon as I get my hands on it. Very disappointed in The Lost Symbol and Inferno, but I still maintain Browns first two books in the Robert Langdon series were the work of genius. (Although less than enthralled with his other works). Eighty million sales tend to agree on this somewhat and Brown is reportedly worth some 250 million dollars.

Angels and Demons led the readers in a tour of the mysteries and traditions of the Catholic world of The Vatican, and The Da Vinci Code took a basically straight forward thriller and took it headfirst into the unsolvable (depending on your views) Science versus The Miracle debate, causing uproar in many areas of the world. (India burned the books of The Da Vinci Code). Science doesn't accept religion but can't disprove it. Religious Faith is belief without proof except what the Bible (and other holy books ) and the Scriptures tell us.

Brown states he's gone full circle in his beliefs from religious Episcopalian to Atheist and back again as he sees the possibility and existence of a greater power than we know. I'm totally Catholic so I can just enjoy what Brown did as a good read without concern. My point is that in his subject he found the philosophers' stone in The Davinci Code because, how many of us read every page and maybe watched the film. I certainly did. As I said, it was a touch of genius. Harry Potter fans will of course be undisturbed in their own beliefs.. :D

Comments?

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:51 am

Cursed

A series of short stories by Neil Gaman, Christina Henry and that ilk. Lovely twists on familiar themes (the Lost Boys one being a particular favourite). If you like your sci-fi/ fantasy dark, look no further.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:47 am

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:51 am
Cursed

A series of short stories by Neil Gaman, Christina Henry and that ilk. Lovely twists on familiar themes (the Lost Boys one being a particular favourite). If you like your sci-fi/ fantasy dark, look no further.
Gaiman (Just checking it's the same person)? I've tried a few of his and really struggled to get into them...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:47 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Cursed

Gaiman (Just checking it's the same person)? I've tried a few of his and really struggled to get into them...
Sorry yes, Gaiman. What have you read? His collaborations with Terry Pratchett (for me) were a bit hit and miss, but The Ocean at the End of the Lane, American Gods and Anansie Boys are excellent.

Christina Henry is sublime. Dark twists on classic children's stories like Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. Not what you would expect at all.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:44 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:51 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 11:47 am
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Cursed

Sorry yes, Gaiman. What have you read? His collaborations with Terry Pratchett (for me) were a bit hit and miss, but The Ocean at the End of the Lane, American Gods and Anansie Boys are excellent.

Christina Henry is sublime. Dark twists on classic children's stories like Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan. Not what you would expect at all.
Yeah I found hit Pratchett stuff hit and miss too. Tried Good Omens, Sandman, struggled with both (Sure there's another I've tried)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:01 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:19 pm
Debate fodder. A bit old-hat, but in the absence of the Evatt Code......:

I said..

I intend to read Dan Brown's ORIGIN as soon as I get my hands on it.
Let me do you a favour if you intend reading this ( My wife got it from Waterstones) ; Save your money and buy something else. After "Angels and Demons" (a religious themed decent thriller) Brown took the plunge and produced The Da Vinci Code, a smash-hit controversial best seller that had to be, due to it's heads or tails content, a one-off. (it sold eighty million copies) Nothing he's done since has been a patch on it. Quite frankly, Brown turned out to be one ( two?)hit show pony, or as one American critic said (roughly) "a great researcher but a lousy story-teller." ( My own description on reading it was "Dan Brown took a load of answers and wrote a book around the questions" ) Da Vinci Code asked the great unanswerable question and Brown tries to repeat the success. It was/is never on.

I'll say no more about "Origins" (or the rest of Brown's novels) except, don't say you weren't warned. Obviously my opinions.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:01 pm
Da Vinci Code
I remember leaving the cinema thinking that that was probably a decent read, as opposed to the dumbed-down version I'd just watched.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 23, 2022 10:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:09 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:01 pm
Da Vinci Code
I remember leaving the cinema thinking that that was probably a decent read, as opposed to the dumbed-down version I'd just watched.
A good summation Bruce. Yes, the book was far better then the film. As ever, Hollywood's modus operandi seems to be to do it on the cheap with subdued lighting and night-time car chases . The Vatican was up in arms at the time the film was released which was a sure indication of bad publicity outweighing no publicity, and a religious war is always a certain magnet for controversy. Mind you, Tom Hanks was hardly my idea of a part crying out for a Robert Redford or Hugh Grant, although Audrey Tautou did ease the pain a little. :D

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:28 pm

One Summer by Bill Bryson, this morning's purchase at a charity shop near Huddersfield Station for a paltry 50p. Three chapters in and I feel like I've already fleeced them.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:21 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:28 pm
One Summer by Bill Bryson, this morning's purchase at a charity shop near Huddersfield Station for a paltry 50p. Three chapters in and I feel like I've already fleeced them.
Love his stuff. I have read that one but was a while ago, might have a look in a charity shop myself :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:19 am

I'm seriously thinking of re-reading The Famous Five,Chronicles of Narnia,The Railway Children and Swallows and Amazons. Makes more sense than a lot of the sensationalist seeking stuff written today. :D

p.s. Apropos of not much, the "serious" college of knowledge Sunday newspapers in our house were, The People, News of the World, Empire News and The Catholic Times. Saturday was The Green Final and later, The Buff, where we could read all about Bolton Wanderers Nil. Where are they all now? :wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:25 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:21 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Thu Aug 25, 2022 6:28 pm
Love his stuff. I have read that one but was a while ago, might have a look in a charity shop myself :D
If they have two, get me one :)

I have most of his stuff but that one's escaped my attention.