What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 02, 2016 11:00 pm

Trigger Mortis A new (old style) James Bond thriller by Anthony Horowitz. Back in time to the old cigarette smoking Bond of the 1950s, shaken but not stirred. It's only 304 pages but the hardback version I got from the library has a price of £18.99.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:30 am

Working my way through a number of Jon Ronson titles this week. I enjoyed The Psychopath Test, although I found it rather worrying, enormously disliked The Men Who Stare at Goats (A complete laod of old tosh) and am really enjoying his latest tome about the nature of shaming, which is a good read, although rather spoiled by the fact that I've already read several excerpts in The Guardian.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:09 pm

I didn't know where to put this. Not reading a book as such...But my Grandad's diary from 1951. I never knew he was a BWFC fan until reading this. Come across one of his last entries 25th Dec. Apparently Bolton beat West Brom 3 v 2, there was a rain storm just before half time and he got back home at 4.30pm. Does anybody know what team it was that day? Sorry to put it here, I'm just fascinated with this diary!!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:20 pm

^^ bizarrely we played them away the day after and lost 3-2, too.

Not found team yet...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:25 pm

twilight wrote:I didn't know where to put this. Not reading a book as such...But my Grandad's diary from 1951. I never knew he was a BWFC fan until reading this. Come across one of his last entries 25th Dec. Apparently Bolton beat West Brom 3 v 2, there was a rain storm just before half time and he got back home at 4.30pm. Does anybody know what team it was that day? Sorry to put it here, I'm just fascinated with this diary!!
We won 3-2 Moir 2 (1 pen) and Nat, in front of 32,562.

The team was;

S Hanson
I Ball
G Higgins
E Wheeler
M Barrass (wonderful name ;) )
G Edwards
A Holden
W Moir
N Lofthouse
D Howe (Really? THE D Howe?)
R Langton
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:30 pm

^^ was it the same team the day after? :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:^^ was it the same team the day after? :-)
Gillies in for Barrass and Webster in for Howe. ;)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:38 pm

In the 1953 Cup Final, the team was almost the same one as that: Eight who played that day were at Wembley, where the team was: Hanson, Ball, Banks, Wheeler, Barrass,Bell, Holden, Moir, Lofthouse, Hassall, Langton.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Wow, two games in two days. Cheers.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:Wow, two games in two days. Cheers.
West Brom at home and West Brom away. On both occasions the home side won 3-2. So feck off Wenger et al with your fixture congestion, you soft c*nts!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:47 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah. "Webster Out !!"
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 03, 2016 9:52 pm

bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah. "Webster Out !!"
Inside forward, only played 98 games over eight years yet in which he scored 38 goals. Are you reading this, Madine?

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:02 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
bobo the clown wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Yeah. "Webster Out !!"
Inside forward, only played 98 games over eight years yet in which he scored 38 goals. Are you reading this, Madine?
feck me! Was Lennon's Grandad the manager back then?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:06 pm

Just finished Charles Cumming;s A Colder War. A John Le Carre type spy novel. Decent read; one for Worthy?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2016 10:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:Just finished Charles Cumming;s A Colder War. A John Le Carre type spy novel. Decent read; one for Worthy?
Dunno. I have a few Le Carre's but they never seem to work for me...Might give it a punt though. Cheers.

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:07 am

Cheers Bruce for that info :)....Still reading the diary. We won quite a few games in 1951!!

bobo the clown
Immortal
Immortal
Location: N Wales, but close enough to Chester I can pretend I'm in England

Post by bobo the clown » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:08 am

Worthy4England wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:Just finished Charles Cumming;s A Colder War. A John Le Carre type spy novel. Decent read; one for Worthy?
Dunno. I have a few Le Carre's but they never seem to work for me...Might give it a punt though. Cheers.
Interesting.

His Smiley novels are as good as they get for me.
Not advocating mass-murder as an entirely positive experience, of course, but it had its moments.
"I understand you are a very good footballer" ... "I try".

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:26 am

bobo the clown wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Interesting.

His Smiley novels are as good as they get for me.
I think I must have been thinking of you Bobo. Knew somebody here was a Le Carre fan. I think you'll like the one I mentioned.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Mar 04, 2016 1:36 am

I'm two thirds through Cumming's debut 'A Spy By Nature'. I already read the sequel 'The Spanish Game', which I preferred. They both feature the character Alec Milius.

I remembered discussing le Carré on here when I read the sequel, and ordered The Spy Who Came In From The Cold a couple of days ago. I also ordered another Cumming, 'A Foreign Country'.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:45 am

I don't expect you to remember, but a while ago I mentioned that I was reading Bill Bryson's Mother Tongue: The Engllish Language. Interestingly Penguin has just Mother Tongue on the front and the spine but on the title page within it has the full title as typed above. It is an interesting book. Having said that though, I'm not sure as to whether or not I should treat it as factually correct in all matters. Much of the content was beyond my ken (which is why I bought it) so it was to be a learning exercise in the history of usage of the English language.

Apart from general current use of English in, say, England, Australia and the US of A I had but a sketchy knowledge of the development of it. In a section of the book he discusses some of the variations which have occurred over the years in various parts of the English speaking world, a small part of that discussion was the Australian divergences from English as spoken and written in the mother country. The problem is that a fair bit of what he writes is incorrect. He starts with a bit of slang and idiomatic phrases which are pretty much right. Then he gets on to words for things (nouns) where he metaphorically goes down the gurgler. According to him Australians eat 'cookies'; wrong - they eat biscuits (although some manufacturers do use the American term at times, but I've yet to hear anyone use it). Politicians are said to 'run for office'; wrong - they stand for parliament/local councils/state government. It seems that we use 'mail' for 'post'; wrong - both terms are used, but it's a post office, the delivery is done by a postman and letters are posted (or mailed). Horror of horrors Australians spell 'labour' as 'labor'; wrong - the only people who spell the word as 'labor' are the Australian Labor Party and other drongos. I presume that there is a reason for the ALP's use of that spelling, but I've not tried to find out.

Incidentally, could you advise me as the term used in England for the chap or chapess who serves you when you are depositing or withdrawing funds at a bank branch. Australians call them 'tellers' (I was one many years ago). Bryson states that they are known as 'cashiers' in England. He does get a couple of his examples correct ('station wagon' for 'estate car' and 'Band-Aid' - a brand name - rather than 'plaster'). Still, his strike rate out of a small grab-bag of examples is hardly assuring when he writes about things outside the reader's area of expertise.