What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:03 pm

Lost Leopard Spot wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:06 pm
"Nearly Assassinated by Catholics" by Howard Roark. Unfortunately the only copy got misposted to somebody else.
Gutternberg Press may have a copy.... :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

CrazyHorse
Immortal
Immortal

Post by CrazyHorse » Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 pm

Catcher in the Rye.
Businesswoman of the year.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Mon May 27, 2019 8:58 am

CrazyHorse wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 pm
Catcher in the Rye.
:lol:

You'll love it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 pm

Finished Caitlin Moran's How to Build a Girl over the weekend. Only the second book to ever make me laugh out loud throughout. Capable of getting a laugh from any angle. She really is a treasure.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:15 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:57 pm
Finished Caitlin Moran's How to Build a Girl over the weekend. Only the second book to ever make me laugh out loud throughout. Capable of getting a laugh from any angle. She really is a treasure.
She makes me wince. There are few writers capable of actually making me wince when I read them, but she's right up there alongside Carol Midgley, Wendy Holden, and Jeremy Clarkson.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm

I'm shocked!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Lost Leopard Spot
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Lost Leopard Spot » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:33 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:25 pm
I'm shocked!
I doubt it.
That's not a leopard!
頑張ってください

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 31, 2019 8:51 pm

Just read the latest (and probably the last for me) Lee Child's Jack Reacher fiction novel bought by a loving daughter as a Christmas present. . Time to retire him, Mr Childs. Hard back versions are a mainly a waste of money as you only read this sort of fiction once then confine them to a cupboad, but all good things come to an end anyway and Reacher ,reached his, (pardon the pun) some way back.. weak over-the top plots and the substitution of progressive army, police forces, intelligence agencies, various tours of America and now replaced by Albanians and Ukranian mobs with all the singing and dancing that Reacher tales are all about.......Time to retire buddy.....Disagree at will.... :)

Of much more interest is the real life non-fiction "PEAKY BLINDERS, The Real Story". Written by Carl Chinn, a descendant of one of the Birmingham gangs of thugs, thieves and murderers and linked heavily to the race-track bookies of the 1920's( the T.V.series, excellent thought it is is actually set ten years after the real events), the tales of gang wars, thuggery and brutality actually left Birmingham, after its clear-out as a well run, organised and law-abiding city. With plenty of photography and excellent research, this is an interesting and eye-opening tale based on pure fact. Recommended.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:07 am

Interesting read? More to it than the title suggests.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... oronavirus

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:16 pm

A must read for all Boltonions, "The Town that Vanished". A full history of Bolton and its intriguing passage from the 1930's to today. Written by a friend of Bruce Rioja, Ian Robinson, this is a truly amazing book. Intricate research on every aspect of life in "Worktown" (the name for an in depth observation over a couple of years by a team of researchers) from the kings of Cotton through, work, holidays, eating and drinking habits and social life. If you want to know how Bolton got to be how it is today, this book will tell you. Cinemas, pubs, clubs and every aspect of progress over our lifetimes, with some amazing photography by Humphrey Spender, much of it taken without the subject's knowlege.

As I said, a truly amazing book that tells an incredible story. Needs to be read.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:55 am

Finished 'The Thursday Murder Club' over the long weekend, by Richard Osman. Finished it over two days for want of completion but one of the more forgettable offerings I've read from that genre, as well as a bit cringeworthy in places. Characters way undercooked while the plot is burnt to a crisp.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:04 am

My brother came up the other day and loaned me his library book, "Wartime Wanderers", the fascinating story of how the whole team of Bolton players were marched down to the local Army recruitment office by team captain Harry Goslin as soon as World War II was declared in September 1939. They all served right through the campaign in various locations and only one didn't survive. Harry Goslin was tragically killed in active service in Italy in 1943.

A great read and yet another reason to be proud to be a Boltonion.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:28 pm

I've been trying to read The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco. Remember enjoying the film in the 80s but fook me it's hard work. Lots of analysis of medieval Catholic factions so far.
Determined to get through the bastard if it kills me.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:43 am

Saturday morning queue for the Beano that’s just been posted through the door in this house. 6 year old moaning that his older sister is “taking ages” as he’s hoping to skip his place in the queue and read it before his older brother gets back from football training.

I personally just love that they all enjoy reading it, though the price of it has gone up substantially since my day! £2.75 now! :shock:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:57 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 9:43 am
Saturday morning queue for the Beano that’s just been posted through the door in this house. 6 year old moaning that his older sister is “taking ages” as he’s hoping to skip his place in the queue and read it before his older brother gets back from football training.

I personally just love that they all enjoy reading it, though the price of it has gone up substantially since my day! £2.75 now! :shock:
All the weekly comics used to be three-pence, even The Eagle...£2-75 is obscene. :shock:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:49 am

Gooner Girl wrote:

Is Roy of the Rovers still a thing? I used to read it from cover to cover. The Hard Man, Safest Hands in Soccer, Billy's Boots etc. (Mike's Mini Men was shit though) :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:30 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 11:49 am
Gooner Girl wrote:

Is Roy of the Rovers still a thing? I used to read it from cover to cover. The Hard Man, Safest Hands in Soccer, Billy's Boots etc. (Mike's Mini Men was shit though) :)
Think he’s had a makeover? No magazines as such, but comic books.
Attachments
FC6860B0-63F0-45D5-96B6-EDCE3D2148C6.jpeg
FC6860B0-63F0-45D5-96B6-EDCE3D2148C6.jpeg (3.1 MiB) Viewed 3510 times

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm

Hardly in the realms of Classic Literature, but I've read a couple of books by Charles Cumming - A Scot who was recruited by MI6 in real life but did not pursue a career - What he did learn though, he put into some fiction books with various characters working within the UK intelligence services.

Popped to Waterstones on dinner to grab another one, which I'm looking forward to starting, after finishing 'Box88' (which was really fun) and 'A Foreign Country'

They're quickly paced and provide a bit of escapism. If you like Reacher, Bond, or other action style fiction, then I recommend
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm
Hardly in the realms of Classic Literature, but I've read a couple of books by Charles Cumming - A Scot who was recruited by MI6 in real life but did not pursue a career - What he did learn though, he put into some fiction books with various characters working within the UK intelligence services.

Popped to Waterstones on dinner to grab another one, which I'm looking forward to starting, after finishing 'Box88' (which was really fun) and 'A Foreign Country'

They're quickly paced and provide a bit of escapism. If you like Reacher, Bond, or other action style fiction, then I recommend
I've read a couple of those, very good. No fancy Bond stuff, more the grubby side of spying. Very believable characters. Cheers for the reminder, I'll have a look what else he's done recently.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Sep 15, 2021 8:56 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm

I've read a couple of those, very good. No fancy Bond stuff, more the grubby side of spying. Very believable characters. Cheers for the reminder, I'll have a look what else he's done recently.
Box 88 is the most recent and the best of the 2 and a half I've read thus far
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"