What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Sep 15, 2021 10:32 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 11:06 pm
boltonboris wrote:
Tue Sep 14, 2021 4:18 pm
Hardly in the realms of Classic Literature, but I've read a couple of books by Charles Cumming - A Scot who was recruited by MI6 in real life but did not pursue a career - What he did learn though, he put into some fiction books with various characters working within the UK intelligence services.

Popped to Waterstones on dinner to grab another one, which I'm looking forward to starting, after finishing 'Box88' (which was really fun) and 'A Foreign Country'

They're quickly paced and provide a bit of escapism. If you like Reacher, Bond, or other action style fiction, then I recommend
I've read a couple of those, very good. No fancy Bond stuff, more the grubby side of spying. Very believable characters. Cheers for the reminder, I'll have a look what else he's done recently.
Brian Freemantle's "Charlie Muffin" novels should really suit you in this category. They're great reading.

https://www.google.com/search?q=charlie ... e&ie=UTF-8
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am

Was it you who recommended Robert Goddard, Tango?
Enjoyed the Harry Barnett books.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:25 am
Seem to remember recommending Goddard's 'Found Wanting' to you. You can borrow it if you like?
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:16 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:39 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Seem to remember recommending Goddard's 'Found Wanting' to you. You can borrow it if you like?
Thanks

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce and me both I think. Great author. Have you read "The Ghost" by Robert Harris? That's worth a read...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Sep 19, 2021 3:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Sep 18, 2021 5:19 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Bruce and me both I think. Great author. Have you read "The Ghost" by Robert Harris? That's worth a read...
I've read all Harris' novels except the latest about the V2 rockets. The Second Sleep was an interesting one, very different to his usual.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am

Finished off 'Eight Detectives' this week, a highly touted whodunit type of thing from the other year.

Felt like this was supposed to be a bit of a love letter to pre 1960s crime thrillers with its own take on proceedings. Nothing wrong with that of course, nostalgia can be fine. This was really poor though imo, especially given the hype. Characters were pretty uninteresting and while some of the individual 'mysteries' piqued my interest the format got stale toward the end, and smelt quite a bit of an author thinking he is too clever by half. A big house with bugger all interesting inside.

Next, The Marlow Murder Club, which I assume got into some sort of legal fight with The Thursday Murder Club released not long ago.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am
Finished off 'Eight Detectives' this week, a highly touted whodunit type of thing from the other year.

Felt like this was supposed to be a bit of a love letter to pre 1960s crime thrillers with its own take on proceedings. Nothing wrong with that of course, nostalgia can be fine. This was really poor though imo, especially given the hype. Characters were pretty uninteresting and while some of the individual 'mysteries' piqued my interest the format got stale toward the end, and smelt quite a bit of an author thinking he is too clever by half. A big house with bugger all interesting inside.
In terms of fictional novels,Jane Austen is still in print 200 plus years after she died. Her plots are simple and concentrate on characters rather than descriptive writing. I've read all her novels at least half-a-dozen times and always find something fresh to think about when I'm having a quiet time. .

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:43 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:33 am

In terms of fictional novels,Jane Austen is still in print 200 plus years after she died. Her plots are simple and concentrate on characters rather than descriptive writing. I've read all her novels at least half-a-dozen times and always find something fresh to think about when I'm having a quiet time. .

Aye I think I need to (re)visit some of the classics, never really read much literature pre 1900 and really should make up for lost time. Have been watching a literary criticism series on youtube looking at things from Shakespeare up to Marquez and have been enjoying it immensely. Should probably read them then! :)
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:34 pm

I recently read Pride and Prejudice for the first time at my girlfriend's urging and really enjoyed it, which I didn't expect to. Same thing with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
I read all sorts, mainly easy action or spy stuff but some more challenging stuff.
If you're looking for classics, I'd recommend Thomas Hardy. Read all his main novels and they are superb. Especially The Mayor of Casterbridge.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:25 am

I often receive books as chrissy prezzies. Sadly none this year so I've ordered both of Dr Peter Duffy's books, Whistle in the Wind and Smoke and Mirrors.

I don't know Peter but I know a few people who do. He was hounded out of the NHS for blowing the whistle on malpractice. It seems to happen to quite a lot of folk.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:46 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:04 am
My brother came up the other day and loaned me his library book, "Wartime Wanderers", the fascinating story of how the whole team of Bolton players were marched down to the local Army recruitment office by team captain Harry Goslin as soon as World War II was declared in September 1939. They all served right through the campaign in various locations and only one didn't survive. Harry Goslin was tragically killed in active service in Italy in 1943.

A great read and yet another reason to be proud to be a Boltonion.
Did you know that it was Harry's son, Bob, that averted a disaster at an FA Cup semi-final at Hillsborough eight years before 96 Liverpool supporters lost their lives in 1989?

The Sheffield Wednesday chairman was furious at Assistant Chief Constable Goslin for allowing spectators to escape the crushing at the Leppings Lane end. " Bollocks, no-one would have been killed", complained chairman McGee.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/hi ... nt-7392939

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 am

You were right about Mark and Ian Goslin, Bruce. They are Bob Goslin's sons and grandsons of Harry Goslin.
Here's Bob's obituary in the Bolton News.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/36 ... r-illness/
No mention of Bob's part in averting a disaster at Hillsborough in 1981 though.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:47 am

Gudnib wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:52 am
You were right about Mark and Ian Goslin, Bruce. They are Bob Goslin's sons and grandsons of Harry Goslin.
Here's Bob's obituary in the Bolton News.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/36 ... r-illness/
No mention of Bob's part in averting a disaster at Hillsborough in 1981 though.
Thank you, Gudnib. It really did seem unlikely to be a simple coincidence.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:06 pm

It was Ian Seddon that told me about Bob Goslin, the cricketer, when he was doing some hosting work at the Reebok. Its quite a few years ago now but Ian must have said that he played against Bob not with him. Ian played for Bradshaw, Bob for Egerton.

Ian, of course, wrote 'Ah'm tellin' thee' the biography of Tommy Banks.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:56 am

Here's an extract from Hansard in 2012:

'[i]Here is another interesting insight into the club and its attitude. Following the 1981 crushing incident, when the police allowed a number of supporters on to the track around the perimeter fence, Mr McGhee, the same chairman of Sheffield Wednesday football club, argued that the police action was completely unnecessary and made the ground look untidy. He considered that that might prevent Hillsborough hosting future semi-finals. I wish it had.

Assistant Chief Constable Goslin insisted that, owing to the crushing on the terraces, there had been a “real chance of fatalities” to which, astonishingly, Mr McGee replied:

“Bollocks—no one would have been killed!”

I hope that is parliamentary language, Mr Deputy Speaker; it is in the report. However, we now know different. We need to continue to explore the issue of the ground.'
[/i]

The Guardian's David Conn is mentioned in the same debate in his determined attempts to draw a parallel between Orgreave and Hillsborough. ACC Goslin's evidence must have seemed inconvenient to Conn and is why Conn would not report the Goslin angle.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 am

Peter Duffy's NHS horror story, Whistle in the Wind, arrived from Amazon yesterday afternoon along with Peter's most recent book Smoke and Mirrors. After dinner I settled down to make a start on the first. I hadn't intended to read the whole horrifying story in a single session but it was unputdownable. The story, sadly, is all too believable to anyone with experience of sounding the alarm in the NHS.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:56 am

Gudnib wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 am
Peter Duffy's NHS horror story, Whistle in the Wind, arrived from Amazon yesterday afternoon along with Peter's most recent book Smoke and Mirrors. After dinner I settled down to make a start on the first. I hadn't intended to read the whole horrifying story in a single session but it was unputdownable. The story, sadly, is all too believable to anyone with experience of sounding the alarm in the NHS.
Read reviews of both of Duffy's books over the weekend. I'd love to learn your take on them in further detail.. My darling s-i-l, a nursing consultant, has a very acute view as to where the money's being wasted.......

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:10 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:34 pm
I recently read Pride and Prejudice for the first time at my girlfriend's urging and really enjoyed it, which I didn't expect to. Same thing with Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.
I read all sorts, mainly easy action or spy stuff but some more challenging stuff.
If you're looking for classics, I'd recommend Thomas Hardy. Read all his main novels and they are superb. Especially The Mayor of Casterbridge.
Read and enjoyed most/all of Thomas Hardy's stuff, L.E.( "Far from the Madding Crowd" is a long-time favorite") Lately, had a go at Jane 'Austen's unfinished novel "Sanditon",( she had other minor stuff which is personal taste; not mine, I add) which is currently the subject of a T.V series in episode form. Can't hack it at all; it's so different than her six major novels which I've read many times, own all the books and can quote cover to cover and really love to re-read as there's always some new depths to be plumbed. I think it's the case of many successful fiction authors; they reach a point when enough is enough. Classic cases of this are the Bond novels and later, the Jack Reacher series. Too much of the same thing always jells at some point. I'm not going into the Sherlock Holmes current offerings. The rattling noise you hear is Artur Conan Doyle spinning madly in his crypt) :)

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:56 am
Gudnib wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:30 am
Read reviews of both of Duffy's books over the weekend. I'd love to learn your take on them in further detail.. My darling s-i-l, a nursing consultant, has a very acute view as to where the money's being wasted.......
I hope you'll forgive me if I don't go into detail. I've spent far too much of my retirement years sounding the alarm on blatant financial irregularities in the NHS. Peter's complaint started around serious medical neglect by consultants compounded by complaints about the same consultants ripping off the NHS.

I think the two usually go hand in hand. Dodgy professional work is frequently accompanied by dodgy financial practices. The cover-up culture protects and covers up for both whilst sparing no effort to victimise the whistleblower in every conceivable way.