What are you reading tonight?

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12618
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 8:19 am

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Hoboh » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 am

Am looking forward to starting a couple of 'Jack Reacher' books I found that I haven't read.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:37 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:54 am
Am looking forward to starting a couple of 'Jack Reacher' books I found that I haven't read.
Lee Child writes good books and Reacher is a really interesting character. Trouble is, he must be coming to the end of his road soon just like Inspector Morse, Harry Bosch and others did, due to a simple unavaoidable fact: Age. He's in his forties now and he can't keep taking six hoodlums at a time on. Either he (in his role as having a sharp mind and military police experience) leaves off the action man stuff and becomes rooted and settled in a job/life, (which won't be very Jack Reacher) or his journey must end .Way I see it anyway..?
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19867
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 pm

You do know he's not real?

He isn't actually aging...
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:39 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:07 pm
You do know he's not real?
He isn't actually aging...
Of course he's real. He's Tom Cruise who is five feet seven and fifty four years old. If he can get away with it.. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:05 pm

Wife just bought me The Complete Novels of Jane Austen in an omnibus edition as an anniversary present. Time for a re-read.. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
Dujon
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3249
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 am
Location: Nr. Sydney (Australia)
Contact:

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Dujon » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:58 am

For you, TANGO - it's a tale of two cities in a way.

You might recall that after your critique of Jerusalem I said that I'd ordered it from a local bookseller. I did, on 2017-06-07.
It's a shop, a venerable establishment in this fair country, called Dymocks. I have before purchased from this ancient purveyor of stuff dear to the literati and have always found them 'a bit slow' but reliable. Most of those purchases, by the way, were by way of gift cards endowed by relatives.

The estimated time of arrival of this order's subject was between seven and fifteen days. As seems to be the case these days, I received a 'please review our service' request a few days after the order's submission. I don't mind that sort of thing (although I do not always respond to them) so on this occasion I did; I expressed my view that its delivery times were a little in excess of my expectations but at the same time intimating that it wouldn't lose my custom on that basis alone.

After a couple of exchanges (kindly, not adversarial) I left it be. However, on or about 2017-07-11, I made a polite inquiry as to the state of the nation and of Jerusalem itself. The answer was terse, to the point and pointed. Its supplier 'had no stock'. It was ever so kind of them to keep me in limbo and react only on receipt of my enquiry. Fortunately they refunded my payment without quibble. Never say never again has never sounded so inappropriate a comment.

On Saturday, 2017-07-15 I ordered on-line the same book from a mob known as Booktopia (it was about AUD3 cheaper as well). Today, Tuesday, 2017-07-18 at or about midday I had the book in my hands.

I'm looking forward to reading it, TANGO, but it might be a while before I can make comment; as you mentioned it's a rather thick volume.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:46 am

Sorry you had such delays Dujon, but at least you have it now. It's a book that needs perseverance but believe me, it's worth it. Totally fascinating both historically and as a literary classic. It's certainly a long tome and I'll look forward to your comments ( in a year or two..joke) Good reading.. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 pm

Bit of an outrage hoo ha going on at the moment about the Bank of England making an error ( according to some) with a quote on the new £ 10 note. I have my views but any comments?

http://www.mirror.co.uk/money/might-emb ... 0-10820669
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23086
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am

TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am
TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.
Well, the "who" wasn't really the point of the question Worthy so much as whether the quote coming from one of Jane Austen's fictional characters rather than herself actually matters? Personally I think it doesnt, but there you go.
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23086
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am
TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.
Well, the "who" wasn't really the point of the question Worthy so much as whether the quote coming from one of Jane Austen's fictional characters rather than herself actually matters? Personally I think it doesnt, but there you go.
Clearly, good Sir, it matters bugger all to me! :-) Only concerned about how many of the buggers are in my wallet, before the kids dive in... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35556
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am
TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.
Well, the "who" wasn't really the point of the question Worthy so much as whether the quote coming from one of Jane Austen's fictional characters rather than herself actually matters? Personally I think it doesnt, but there you go.
Clearly, good Sir, it matters bugger all to me! :-) Only concerned about how many of the buggers are in my wallet, before the kids dive in... :-)
Well I can tell you now. Your fivers have got the Duke of Wellington on them :fingers:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23086
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am
TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.
Well, the "who" wasn't really the point of the question Worthy so much as whether the quote coming from one of Jane Austen's fictional characters rather than herself actually matters? Personally I think it doesnt, but there you go.
Clearly, good Sir, it matters bugger all to me! :-) Only concerned about how many of the buggers are in my wallet, before the kids dive in... :-)
Well I can tell you now. Your fivers have got the Duke of Wellington on them :fingers:
I should bloody hope so. They're no use, spent...

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:40 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:24 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:45 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am
TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.
Well, the "who" wasn't really the point of the question Worthy so much as whether the quote coming from one of Jane Austen's fictional characters rather than herself actually matters? Personally I think it doesnt, but there you go.
Clearly, good Sir, it matters bugger all to me! :-) Only concerned about how many of the buggers are in my wallet, before the kids dive in... :-)
Well I can tell you now. Your fivers have got the Duke of Wellington on them :fingers:
I should bloody hope so. They're no use, spent...
I'd get rid of those white ones with "I promise to pay the bearer on demand" on them. They're long gone from ciruclation. :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 23086
Joined: Wed May 16, 2007 6:45 pm

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:42 am

That'd be the ones worth up to a couple of hundred quid? :-) If you want to get rid of any, just send them my way. I'll exchange them for a crisp, new, spendable fiver.

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:22 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:42 am
That'd be the ones worth up to a couple of hundred quid? :-) If you want to get rid of any, just send them my way. I'll exchange them for a crisp, new, spendable fiver.
Oh, you're so money supermarket... :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 12967
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:27 pm

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by boltonboris » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:30 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2017 8:37 am
TBH I never really notice who's mugshot is on them. And care even less, really.
Well, the "who" wasn't really the point of the question Worthy so much as whether the quote coming from one of Jane Austen's fictional characters rather than herself actually matters? Personally I think it doesnt, but there you go.
Clearly, good Sir, it matters bugger all to me! :-) Only concerned about how many of the buggers are in my wallet, before the kids dive in... :-)
didn't think you'd insult yourself by carrying such low denominations, to be honest
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 35556
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:19 pm
Location: Drifting into the arena of the unwell.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 pm

Was chatting with a pal a couple of weeks ago about books we read in English Lit lessons at school. The only one I remember us covering which I wasn't so keen on at the time was Playboy of the Western World. Maybe if I were to read it again now I'd alter my view. Similarly but opposite, I have particularly fond memories of reading Bill Naughton's 'The Goalkeeper's Revenge and Other Short Stories' whilst in the 1st year (that means I was 11, kids ;) ) I now have a copy on order - I do hope that I haven't allowed reminiscence to have its way with me and I'll be disappointed. :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

User avatar
TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 38212
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:35 pm
Location: Lost between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light a penny candle from a star.

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:55 pm

About all I can remember from school literature was Grace Darling, Greyfriars Bobby, Mark Twain's "Tom Sawyer" and the Oddesy and Illiad. Twas a long time ago mind.... :wink:
The wisest and the best of men, nay, the wisest and best of their actions, may be rendered ridiculous by a person whose first object in life is a joke...Darcy. Pride and Prejudice.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8053
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: What are you reading tonight?

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:49 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:28 pm
Was chatting with a pal a couple of weeks ago about books we read in English Lit lessons at school. The only one I remember us covering which I wasn't so keen on at the time was Playboy of the Western World. Maybe if I were to read it again now I'd alter my view. Similarly but opposite, I have particularly fond memories of reading Bill Naughton's 'The Goalkeeper's Revenge and Other Short Stories' whilst in the 1st year (that means I was 11, kids ;) ) I now have a copy on order - I do hope that I haven't allowed reminiscence to have its way with me and I'll be disappointed. :?
I also loved The Goalkeeper's Revenge. Great storytelling with a local slant. The story that I remember best was the one about the oranges.
My favourite book at primary school though was The Machine Gunners, by Robert Westall.
...

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests